CRD Exhaust - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Hey Clarky,

I have been waiting for mine to let go as well so that I have a reason to rip it out! The annoying thing is that Jeep were insightful enough to install a full SS system from factory, so they last for a very long time...

Honestly, I don't think $600 is too bad for an exhaust, although I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you are going to do the full system from the turbo back with a high flow cat. The standard system is 2.75" SS anyway, so the benefits of going up to a 3" system without changing the cat forward are going to be negligible. When the time comes I will be ripping the muffler out and getting a straight pipe welded in its place. I had the pleasure of going for a spin in JRJ33P's CRD Commander a couple of months back and I could barely tell the difference in terms of loudness compared to mine (he had the muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe). I reckon ozRick is right in saying that the turbo muffles all the noise anyway.

Something that JRJ33P did to his a couple of days after I left (that is now on my shopping list) was to remove the DPF also - obviously you need to combine this with the GDE tune with DPF delete. He reckons that this made a much bigger difference than the muffler removal and went from being quick to being a rocket! I really would love to have no more turbo lag..... I know the DPF doesn't apply to the GC, but I know it is relevant to others considering exhaust mods.

Let us know what you decide to do and report back with the results.
Old 10-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

I'd actually change my advice and stick with a muffler.

The only reason being is Clarky is in NSW and will need to slip the vehicle and some inspectors like to use the system to drum up work so any excuse will do.
Old 10-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
I'd actually change my advice and stick with a muffler.

The only reason being is Clarky is in NSW and will need to slip the vehicle and some inspectors like to use the system to drum up work so any excuse will do.
Good point on the NSW yearly RWC thing. The question is, is it illegal to run without a muffler if your dB reading is below the required limit? I honestly wouldn't think that the noise increase would be anything noticeable.

How do you get your WH through the yearly inspection with your current modifications Clarky? Is it all above board?
Old 10-01-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wasn't looking for any performance upgrade just need to replace an 11/12 year old exhaust.

I will check if I go ahead but I think the MBRP has a muffler as per the Quadratec site.

I can take the CAT off my spare Jeep and see if the local exhaust shop can make up a high flow version l suppose.
Old 10-01-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post

How do you get your WH through the yearly inspection with your current modifications Clarky? Is it all above board?
A part from my non complaint bull bar so let's just called it a replacement bumper it's in my opinion just within the guidelines. Never had anyone even question it when getting a road worthy certificate.
Old 10-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Wasn't looking for any performance upgrade just need to replace an 11/12 year old exhaust.

I will check if I go ahead but I think the MBRP has a muffler as per the Quadratec site.

I can take the CAT off my spare Jeep and see if the local exhaust shop can make up a high flow version l suppose.
Fair enough.

Not sure if the WH is the same as the Commander, but if the original exhaust is SS like mine, you should only really need to replace or delete the muffler and it should last quite a bit longer yet.
Old 18-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

hi Guys

So has anyone end up doing any exhaust work.
ive been looking at doing something to mine, not sure if i should just remove the muffler and put in a bit of pipe or go the 3" system ?
Oh and im Pre DPF so i dont have to worry about that bloody thing thank god.
just wanting a bit less lag and easier running really.
i do have a GDE Tune, resonator delete and K&N filter so i though id benefit from a bit of exhaust work aswell.

My biggest concern is noise as i do like it being fairly quite, but going by alot of other modern diesel's i hear with exhausts you only really hear it if you have the power on, so im cool with that .

If you reckon i should go with an exhaust, what would you recommend ?

Cheers

Last edited by WH3.0; 18-02-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply