Diesel Engine Oil Opinions - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, Penrite hpr 5 label here that I just read has all the correct ratings, got to say though that on the front of the container says "synthetic performance" implying synthetic, hmmmm.

All the viscosities necessary for the Kj at least are covered by the label on the back according to the owners manual.

As for oils claiming to have all sorts of goodies in them for protection, molecular or otherwise im tending to steer clear of, im not to sure what happens to these types as they go through a hot turbo bearing. Or what happens with them when they blow by and meet hot EGT's.

Oils aint Oils sol...... life wasn't meant to be this hard.
Old 03-04-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

glend, apologies i was looking at the HPR 5 specs on Penrites web site (as opposed to HPR DIESEL 5) It still says it is a A3,B4 though. Use what you want i am not against Penrite but we should be using a B3,B4.

I nor anyone else ever said HPR 5 is a full synthetic, it clearly states it is semi synthetic. I am saying in order to have a B3,B4 rating it needs to be.

You are correct in saying Valvoline Synpower is SM/CF which is more than adequate as jeep specs call for a CD or higher rating.

Last edited by 07CRDKJ; 03-04-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess we should phone penrite.... maybe their web site has not kept up with the labelling or something.

By the way 07CRDKJ, which penrite would you suggest.

UPDATE: I found the following in the Jeep service manual for the Diesel engine. Its probably somewhere else up here as well.

ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES ( in the UNITED STATES not EXPORT )
Only use synthetic engine oils meeting the API Categories SL/CF and Chrysler Material Standard MS-10725. Those engine oils not meeting the viscosity and API Quality and MS-10725 requirements should not be used.
SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
The preferred engine oil is SAE 0W-40 Mobil® One Synthetic. If you can not locate SAE 0W-40 Mobil® One Synthetic, then SAE 5W-40 Mobil® One Synthetic would be acceptable.

ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES - EXPORT (AUSTRALIA too I suppose)
Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL-2104C or API Classification CD or higher or CCML D4, D5.

SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
CAUTION: Low viscosity oils must have the proper API quality or the CCMC G5 designation.
To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE Grade 10W-40 engine oils that meet Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used in accordance to ACEA B3, B4 specification. European Grade 10W-40 oils are also acceptable.

Oils of the SAE 5W-40 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -15° C (5° F).

Last edited by crdjon; 09-04-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2009
Rubicon MOABs

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well I've just had a look on my service record from today. It shows my local jeep dealer has used Formula S 5W/30 SEMI/SYN.

Doing some light research tells its a Mobil product. See here http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...la_S_5W-30.asp

It also says "Mobil Formula S 5W-30 is suitable for use in gasoline and LPG powered vehicles" nothing about diesels or turbo ones at that. Should I get this crud out of my KJ & put some Penrite in?
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...&id_products=7
Old 01-05-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Well some Sydney dealer service departments are using Shell Ultra VX in 5W30, simply because they put that in all the newer vehicles with particulate filters (for diesels) and because it is one of a number of so-called enviro oils (basically thinner oils that allow manufacturers to claim higher mileage figures). These enviro oils do reduce engine internal 'resistance' or friction (which is common to all new engines) but IMHO the price is paid in long term use as the engine will wear more quickly because these oils will sheer more readily than correctly formulated oil. I don't know which engine you have Palla, but the CRDs require (in the USA) a 0 or 5W-40, although 10W40 is also suggested for 'hotter' export countries. I believe all 2006 CRDs were shipped with 0w40 Mobil 1 (which while a great oil for petrol vehicles, does not have the correct additive package for diesels). I am sure the 'oil engineers' out there will have more to say on this.
Old 31-01-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

*dig* *dig* - Charge to 300 - *ZAP*

Ok now I have found this thread and brought it back to life- some semi late night oil friggin obsession has found the following oil:

Redline 5w-40 (packed full of goodness)

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=3&pcid=21
...snip
  • Additional additive package for diesel passenger cars and trucks (API CJ-4)
  • Recommended for API SM/CJ-4/CI-4/CI-4 PLUS
  • Also recommended for ACEA A3/B4/E9
...snip

It works out about $25 / litre in australia ($11 US / litre) - but it seems Soooooo cool

good for all that crd ails you... well they even quote a catapiller specification - and they ARE like tonka toys (so they rock)

Old 01-02-2010
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That oil weight is a bit light for a warm climate. The oil is half decent tho. How many kays have you done?
Post New Thread  Reply