rear disc brake conversion - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Great, stops better, less maintenance. What’s not to like?
I did the prop valve as well. As per gojeep.
I got all my parts of the same wreck including the brake pads ��
I up graded to braided break lines after I had it all together and working, worth it cause the ones off the wreck were 15 yrs old
So it's best to find a ZJ and Nick it all off there? Will it just bolt up to a d35? (Bar the handbrake)

Hamish
Old 20-03-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
So it's best to find a ZJ and Nick it all off there? Will it just bolt up to a d35? (Bar the handbrake)

Hamish
imho yes.
yes it will bolt up to a 35, plenty of write ups, much more write ups on zj-d35 out there than zj to d44 or zj to 8.25.
can not comment on the tone rings/ abs side of things.
best thing about pulling it off a wreck is you get some experience on how it all comes apart before you start pulling yr own apart / assembling.

good luck with it.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 20-03-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 22-03-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

how does it work if i already have an 8.25 , and do the axles need to be pulled.

if so i guess that means removing the diff cover to fish out the "C" clips.

this is a mod I've wanted to do for a long time, but you know the old 'if it aint broke"

thanks for any comments

macca
Old 22-03-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac View Post
how does it work if i already have an 8.25 , and do the axles need to be pulled.

if so i guess that means removing the diff cover to fish out the "C" clips.

this is a mod I've wanted to do for a long time, but you know the old 'if it aint broke"

thanks for any comments

macca
Hey Emac, i pulled this old thread out of retirement so i could garner more info, as i didnt think it could be done. The more you read, the easier it is. The only challenging bits are the emergency handbrake cables and ABS if you have it.
Apparently for your 8.25, the fitup is all exactly the same as a D35. But if you use the ZG backing plates, you just have to file the centre hole out a bit so it goes over. The ZG backing plates go straight over the D35 because the ZG had D35's. Now i have also heard that if you use KJ backing plates, then they will go straight over your 8.25 as the KJ has 8.25 rear diff.

Yes, you have to pull the pin out, remove the c-clips and axles.. 10 minute job.

I have ABS i want to retain, so i have to notch my axle plates so that the sensor cables go through. While my axles are off, i am changing abs tone rings to the smaller ZG ones. They are smaller as everything needs to fit in the smaller area designed for the ebrake drum and rotors.

You will have to look at what handbrake cables fit your application. My 95 XJ has equal length cables and there is a ZG/XJ conversion cable sold that is only $25. You can also modifiy existing cables, hand brake etc. I went with the easy option as it is available now and will look professional.

As i am turning my XJ into a daily driver, i want it to all be at 100%, including the whimpy brakes. My EBC yellow stuff pads in the front made a huge difference in stopping power, but i want them even better.
Old 23-03-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

kool thanks for that, I've had a couple of narrow escapes when inattention let me get to close to another car, and just happened to be googling rear disk upgrade and saw this resurrected post,

read all through it and really struggled to understand what i specifically needed.

so for me i guess ill go the KJ path
Old 04-05-2018
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I have a Zg rear disc brake kit available that would suit an Xj upgrade if anybody is interested...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply