rear disc brake conversion - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-10-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

This is why I bought the Zg, that way I would have everything.
I have kept the whole rear brake system, from the handbrake lever back as well as the master cylinder/proportioning valve back.
The Zg uses a big steel bracket that the handbrake cables fit into that is removable unlike the Xj's welded on tabs, so I am boing to see if the cable from the handbrake lever will fit up with this bracket and the Zg's cabls back to the diff so the whole cable system will be from the Zg.
See what happens in a few weeks when I actually fit it all...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-10-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
Yep, definitely worth it.
Smoother, more progressive and stronger.
Tried in them in the mud last sat, no problems at all, unlike drums...

My previous comment saying i was disappointed with their strength was before i fitted the ZJ proportioning valve.
The wreckers couldn't get the valve when i picked up the disks, so i had to wait a week for the valve.
glad to hear good results from the upgrade Mur, I still have to change the proportining valve as im still using the XJ one. Did you get yours from Brian?

cheers
sime
Old 23-10-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Yep, got everything from jeepers beepers.
Old 20-11-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone know where i can get cables for the handbrake done in brisbane?
Old 22-11-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

mob in the valley,BHSS i think they called. They are in Abbortsford rd Bowen hills or Slacks creek brake and clutch will do them as well.
Old 18-03-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Yes i know.. i am dragging up this old thread from the dead.

Has anyone recently done the rear disk brake conversion on their XJ, or done it ages ago and can report on how it all is.

I think there has been some updates since the boys first started this thread.

My XJ is a 95 Limited. It has the equal length hand brake cables and has ABS and drum brakes.

I am looking at the ZG swap. I am not looking at the new kits, as they all blurt on about not being ABS compatible.. and i dont want to drill through the backing plates or try to make them fit.
The ZG backing plates have the ABS holes in the right locations and everything is a direct swap.

The kit i am looking at on Fleabay has the backing plates, rotors, calipers, hoses, ABS sensors (cut half way along).

I have read that most people have had success splicing their ABS cables. So i can use the ZG ABS sensors spliced onto my XJ cables.

I also need the tone rings from a ZG. These are only $35 US each on Summit and Rockauto. They are smaller than the XJ ones to allow for the drum style park brake. Tone ring number is YSPABS-012 made by Yukon.

The hand brake cables can be a problem. Ive seen people come up with all sorts of stuff using bulldog clips etc, or spending a lot of money getting them modified. RT offroad makes cables for pre and post update XJ's with the ZG mod. For the pre update, the cable number is RT31039 and are 52" long and directly fit the XJ handbrake to ZG backing plate. These are only $25 US each on Summitracing.

Serviceable parts are so cheap its not funny. Ebrake hardware kit is only $12, shoes are $12 and semi-metallic pads only $13 and caliper rebuild kits only $6.

I think i can do the whole rear end disc conversion with original parts, new hardware, new cables, new tone rings, abs sensors etc for about $600 AU.

Now, is it worth it? The XJ is part of the family so its a keeper. I hate adjusting the brakes as the self adjusters never work properly. The rear brakes never seem to work well.

Also, anyone played with the proportioning valve. I think you can modify the XJ valve to get more fluid the the rear?

Cheers,
Old 18-03-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post

Also, anyone played with the proportioning valve. I think you can modify the XJ valve to get more fluid the the rear?

Cheers,
The D44 I have with Ford EA discs came out of an XJ, and the PO tell me he never changed the brake master cyl over from the original pre-update XJ item.

He was a mechanic, and said it worked fine for years

it is in pieces atm, so I cannot attest firsthand

Last edited by awg; 18-03-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply