XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 51 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2011
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

looks very effective.
-small point-
personally I would have the temp gauge in the sump. not on the tranny fluid out line.
i.e. If I am giving it the good news 3/4 up a sand dune I am not taking my foot off cause the tranny fluid out temp gauge (where you have indicated it) has gone through the roof - i knew that was gonna happen before I started up the dune. Therefore what is the point?

However If once at the top of the dune I could see that the tranny sump temp was now @105*C I would chose to sit and let the whole system cool before I went and did it again.

Each to there own.
Good luck with it.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 03-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
yeah but i think i spent too much on my cooler because now im too broke to go test it out

Know the feeling rodge .... scratched up a few bucks to buy some go juice and gave mine an hours run down the road & back before dinner.

So heres some initial driving temps ..... With no change in the vehicle cooling system set up from what I did last year ... except the new tranny cooler, tranny oil & coolant .... and I left the bash plate off.

Ambient:
30'c by the jeep display .... which is low compared to reality. The yanks seem to like disguising high temps for some reason

Speed:
100kph ... mostly flat terrain with a coupla little bumps and curves. Might run it up Mt Kaputar on the weekend as a hill climb test.

Coolant Temps: ( in relation to oil cooler effects ... not XJ cooling in general.)
This was interesting ...... but keep in mind it probably still needs an overnight burp/syphon ...... as I can still work some bubbles out of it by squeezing the top hose.

Even with the large oil cooler .... The coolant temps displayed were the same as they have been for 12mnths at the same ambient and speeds ....

Since Ive been working on averages tho ... I would have to say the overall running temp has gone up a coupla degrees as the higher temps seemed to display more often /more quickly ....

Seems to be, not quite as stable as it was and even though the new cooler is no bigger than some of the test junk I have jammed on during the last 12mnths ..... logic says to blame the new cooler blocking air flow/shedding more heat ... but I'll give it a few more days for everything to settle down.

Other thing that happens - is a momentary spike of an extra coupla degrees when you pull up/turn around, which wasnt as obvious previously ... The clutchfan controls it ..... but Im guessing its the extra heat thrown off the cooler compared to the less heat thrown off the previous setups ... in addition to the drop in vehicle speed.

... So maybe I shouldnt have painted the new cooler black so it works better - than the bling, plain alloy finish .....

Dont mis-read what Im saying here tho ... Yes - I am seeing an increase in coolant temps which I will attribute to the new oil cooler at this stage .... BUT .... a degree or two IS a degree or two - by the scangauge ..... If I was only relying on the poncy dash gauge - I probably wouldnt have noticed.

So far, the effect on coolant temps is quite acceptable IMHO .... but Im not happy losing the lower temp stability I had ... If in fact the temp change is permanent.

Will put the bash plate back on / hang a trailer off the back and find some proper hills in coming weeks and see what else happens.

Average temp for the run .... 94'c

Tranny Temps:
Im beginning to think I have a fooked TC / oil pump ... or worse ... deja vu ........

Good news is an average 10'c drop in the temp Im monitoring via a sump pan bolt on the tranny, compared to what the old temps were. Result is not as good as wanted/expected - but better than with the mixture of bits Ive been playing with for twelve months.

Also when in overdrive the temp isnt spiking at the first sign of a bit of a hill ..... On the run out I left it in O/D ... and ran back in 3rd. Tranny temp stayed about the same .... but the vehicle had no load except for 20l of spare coolant and tranny oil ... and the pan lickers in the back.

Average temp at the sump pan bolt ... 56'c

Intake Air Temp:
Again ... no real difference to what they have always been in the same conditions ... but again, the higher temps happened more often/more quickly.

So I guess one could say the I.A. temps have gone up a coupla degrees from previous too - once the averages are levelled out.

Rough average for the run was 46'c.

Electric Aux Fan
Wasnt activated by the computer or manually with the over-ride switch ... The run was too short for a comparison test with the aux fan on, any way ... so I'll contribute to global warming a bit on saturday and see if theres a difference.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 03-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Still only getting 2'c increase in coolant temp after running around in up to 37'c ambient temps today. Coolant temps are stable again after about an inch got sucked back from the overflow bottle over the past two nights.

So with the way I have things set up on mine .... The cooler size appears to have minimal impact ... and at this stage .... is no issue.
Old 12-02-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

got the fans all fitted up last week but havent really had time for any serious testing yet, just short drives here and there before i finished up the airflow ducting in front of the cooler. so far temps are being held well in check and looks like low speed temps are about 10* less overall on average - hottest i saw was 94*C at slow speed in 38* ambient temps but was short lived. temps at the traffic lights hot are about 10* lower. was surprised how much quieter the 3 bigger fans are compared to the 2 small ones although it sounds like a spaceship! im going to fit the 2 small fans to the firewall to draw out engine bay heat into the cowl vents. in depth testing to come soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030342.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	45850   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030343.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	45851   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030344.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	45852   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030345.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	45853  
Old 12-02-2011
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems to be a lot of work and expense for a small improvement.. But hey, we are talking Jeep owners here.. And don't mention V8's. I can read your mind Rodge...

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 12-02-2011
AJOR Gold

lol Nakkas, yep it was WAY too expensive but a good learning curve - ya gotta love experiments. and im probably not done yet!
Old 15-02-2011
AJOR Gold

finally went for a lengthy road test (cant believe i havent driven more than 2kms at a shot in the last 3 weeks!)....results were pretty good over my usual 20km test route in 37* heat. average temps at 60-80kph were 65*-68*C and hit nearly 74* a couple of times at the lights but quickly came back down. the big news is that the fans are pulling the temps down at idle so the triple fan threat is working in that regard. mind you, during the last 2km of the run at speeds of less than 40kph saw the temp hit 92* which is a little too much and suggests the system is still not enough for a hot day towing or wheeling. ive reached the conclusion that one would need a cooler the size of the engine radiator to effectively control the temps (especially on 35s like mine). i would guess ive always had abnormally high tranny temps off road even back when i had 31s. in my case i think i would have to add a second and much larger cooler to effectively keep temps in check. i might stuff a second unit in front of the radiator one day but for now im gonna run it as is. im also looking at deep sump tranny pans with cooling fins to help things along a bit better. still more testing to come with the camper trailer in tow and some wheeling but i think ive shown how NOT to spend your cash trying to cool down the tranny significantly. knowledge is expensive but at least its a lesson learned.