Help needed XJ not well - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Nope, the updates, like the pre-updates still ran a distributor upto to around '99/'00, so the majority of updates had the dissy....
ok , same cat different colour
well , I hope this fellow does check the pressure the correct way for fuel and doesn't squirt it all over the place get it in his eyes and set the jeep on fire
Old 13-04-2016
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61galwagon View Post
I have a 97 XJ 4lt that is having issues, was running fine then started missing and stalling i have replaced plugs, leads, dissy cap, and rotor button. I have checked fuel pressure at injector rail all good.

The engine revs at idle will jump between 1000 - 2000 rpm and just drop to around 500 rpm and the back up to 2000 rpm since replacing the above parts.

When on the road the car will drive fine and then just miss under load and then stall when stopping

The other thing that started at the same time is that the gearbox kick down wont engage don't know if the two are linked.

I have read other posts with similar issues but none have had kick down issue mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61galwagon View Post
It plays up hot or cold.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your information so far. Grouped together, above is the info that we have. So, three different issues that appear to occur regardless engine cold or warm (OP, please correct me if this is incorrect):

1) surging at idle
2) stalling while driving and cutting out when stopping
3) kickdown doesn't "do it".

Distilled like this, it looks already a bit less confusing, no?
Well, at this point, with nil further information whatsoever, I could name a single item that , if faulty, could cause all the above issues, but hey, that would be too easy. Also because it would not be the one I would blindly replace with these symptoms because in the end, it will have to be that haha. Lets not dive into the parts-show just yet.

Each of the symptoms have their likely and less likely causes, so we can throw ideas in the ring about each of them, leading to a nice salad of parts and I'm sure it will eventually come to the part(s) at fault being replaced (and lets hope the new parts are working out of the box). But you can also try to work out if there is a common factor they share, or a common part. Because it would be more likely that one or two parts might be at fault, than all of a sudden all parts involved with the 3 aforementioned symptoms, wouldn't you say?

The good thing is: a car is a mechanical thing, not a living thing. This entails that it will work according a set pattern of actions and doesn't make up its own mind nor will or wont work depending on its mood. (Some people tend to forget this and call their car a he or she. This is sad, however outside the scope of this thread). It is predictable or at least should be. And if not, you can approach this in a systematic way which should be your guide in troubleshooting automotive issues. Yes, you can replace parts until it works, and if that's not an issue, by all means go for it. I'm sure many parts will be named in the course of a thread like this when you ask " what is the cause?", enough for weeks of replacement pleasure. But the kick you will get from solving this in a time and cost effective way will be much greater

No idea why I'm writing all this phylosophic background stuff, so lets get to it.

You say you have a a code reader: great, use it! If it pops a code, bring it back here. Don't be disappointed when it doesn't. All the items I already mentioned, never gave me a code when they were kaput, so if a code pops up: bonus.
Check for vacuum leaks can be more tricky then you think, but is a good step in the process. So is fuel pressure, although you'd like to know the pressure when you have a car actually displaying the symptoms, which might be tricky too.

Questions at this point: Besides the tune-up, do you know if/what other parts/sensors have been replaced? And are your symptoms intermittent, or are they now continuously present? The thought behind this being that intermittent problems tend to lean towards electrical-related causes rather than purely mechanical. ..

Let us know how you go with this.

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.

Last edited by Roler; 13-04-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 14-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
Thank you for your information so far. Grouped together, above is the info that we have. So, three different issues that appear to occur regardless engine cold or warm (OP, please correct me if this is incorrect):

1) surging at idle
2) stalling while driving and cutting out when stopping
3) kickdown doesn't "do it".

Distilled like this, it looks already a bit less confusing, no?
Well, at this point, with nil further information whatsoever, I could name a single item that , if faulty, could cause all the above issues, but hey, that would be too easy. Also because it would not be the one I would blindly replace with these symptoms because in the end, it will have to be that haha. Lets not dive into the parts-show just yet.

Each of the symptoms have their likely and less likely causes, so we can throw ideas in the ring about each of them, leading to a nice salad of parts and I'm sure it will eventually come to the part(s) at fault being replaced (and lets hope the new parts are working out of the box). But you can also try to work out if there is a common factor they share, or a common part. Because it would be more likely that one or two parts might be at fault, than all of a sudden all parts involved with the 3 aforementioned symptoms, wouldn't you say?

The good thing is: a car is a mechanical thing, not a living thing. This entails that it will work according a set pattern of actions and doesn't make up its own mind nor will or wont work depending on its mood. (Some people tend to forget this and call their car a he or she. This is sad, however outside the scope of this thread). It is predictable or at least should be. And if not, you can approach this in a systematic way which should be your guide in troubleshooting automotive issues. Yes, you can replace parts until it works, and if that's not an issue, by all means go for it. I'm sure many parts will be named in the course of a thread like this when you ask " what is the cause?", enough for weeks of replacement pleasure. But the kick you will get from solving this in a time and cost effective way will be much greater

No idea why I'm writing all this phylosophic background stuff, so lets get to it.

You say you have a a code reader: great, use it! If it pops a code, bring it back here. Don't be disappointed when it doesn't. All the items I already mentioned, never gave me a code when they were kaput, so if a code pops up: bonus.
Check for vacuum leaks can be more tricky then you think, but is a good step in the process. So is fuel pressure, although you'd like to know the pressure when you have a car actually displaying the symptoms, which might be tricky too.

Questions at this point: Besides the tune-up, do you know if/what other parts/sensors have been replaced? And are your symptoms intermittent, or are they now continuously present? The thought behind this being that intermittent problems tend to lean towards electrical-related causes rather than purely mechanical. ..

Let us know how you go with this.
Well said young man.
Old 25-04-2016
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Any updates, OP?

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 06-05-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not that this helps but i had this exact same issue still never figured it out was a 2000 had the dizzy , literally changed every known sensor on the thing before getting rid of it xD interested to know if you figured this out
Old 09-05-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I had simular type symptoms a while ago changed sensors everywhere new coil dizzy cap still the same turned out to be the upstream oxy sensor my 2 cents worth hope you get it sorted out
Post New Thread  Reply