Help needed XJ not well - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-04-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Before you will be inundated under suggestions regarding possible causes (and I'd think common causes being common: CPS, CAM, TPS, IAC, vaccuum leaks etc etc), let's try to get this clear first:

Did the symptoms (looks like you describe the enginge surging at idle) start AFTER you replaced all those parts or did you replace those parts BECAUSE you were trying to solve those symptoms (because a tune-up will not have much to do with those)?
Now Roler.....

Don't come in here with logical, rational thought, why would you need actual data for fault finding????

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

a lot of times I have seen where a jeep will run well but then all of sudden it will spulter and have no power , most cases it is the FUEL PUMP , but is you have checked where it , then there is the modulator (better known as the cam sensor)
IN THE DIZZY , that flat plate thing can break down , then there is the fuel regulator on the fuel rail , where air can leak or the reg goes itself(just because fuel is there doesn't mean it has the correct pressure) , then there is the MAP sensor , or the throttle sensor , a map sensor will cause the car (all of them) to stop running well (weather its cold or hot ) then the crank sensor of course , and or the pick up for it on the flex plate, then there is primery chain stretch. then there can be a wiring loom problem where the connections can be failing (at the ecm or other) has a key dance been done ? to check to see how many times the light is counting ? THEN there is all of us here trying to diag a car that is not in front of us to see how the engine is running , smelling and snorting or what ever.
bla bla bla bla .................................bla bla.
Old 13-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
a lot of times I have seen where a jeep will run well but then all of sudden it will spulter and have no power , most cases it is the FUEL PUMP , but is you have checked where it , then there is the modulator (better known as the cam sensor)
IN THE DIZZY , that flat plate thing can break down , then there is the fuel regulator on the fuel rail , where air can leak or the reg goes itself(just because fuel is there doesn't mean it has the correct pressure) , then there is the MAP sensor , or the throttle sensor , a map sensor will cause the car (all of them) to stop running well (weather its cold or hot ) then the crank sensor of course , and or the pick up for it on the flex plate, then there is primery chain stretch. then there can be a wiring loom problem where the connections can be failing (at the ecm or other) has a key dance been done ? to check to see how many times the light is counting ? THEN there is all of us here trying to diag a car that is not in front of us to see how the engine is running , smelling and snorting or what ever.
bla bla bla bla .................................bla bla.
If it's an update model, the fuel regulator is built into the fuel filter in the fuel tank. I had the same problem and it was the filter. Not saying this is your problem. Also my fuel rail was full of gunk down the end, so I cleaned that and serviced the injectors too.
If you still have the old parts, I would suggest putting them back on one at a time to see what may have caused the problem. It's not uncommon for cheap parts to fail from the start.

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 13-04-2016
MonsterMoose

[QUOTE=werd;1573892]If it's an update model, the fuel regulator is built into the fuel filter in the fuel tank./QUOTE]

This is not related to being an update or a pre-update, the fuel regulator in the tank is an OBD2 thing so pre-updates from mid 95 had this too...

We need more info to be able to help diagnose potential issues...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The problem was already there before the parts were replaced.
I have purchased a code reader/ diagnostic tool so hopefully can see what if any codes are there.
I am going to check for vacuum leaks later today

I haven't done a compression check.

Sent from my D5833 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 13-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

funny how if it is a updated model why would it still have a dizzy cap ?
I thought the updated had three coil packs .
now I shall go and stand on my head spin around and do a upside down monkey dance as I place in the new rotors so I can register this GC HO ,
if you are going to scan , you should also do a pressure test on the fuel rail , a low pressure line will kind of make the fuel DRIBBLE rather than fine mist spray.
and now ill be off today to sort out the bloody suncorp banking system , putting up with them is enough to make any man to drink (and spray on there carpet office)
Old 13-04-2016
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
funny how if it is a updated model why would it still have a dizzy cap ?
I thought the updated had three coil packs .
Nope, the updates, like the pre-updates still ran a distributor upto to around '99/'00, so the majority of updates had the dissy....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Last edited by junglejuice; 13-04-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply