Apparently my driveway is too much of a challenge for a WJ with quadradrive! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Apparently my driveway is too much of a challenge for a WJ with quadradrive!

Trying to drive out thismorning, reversing up my very slippery (wet covered in mushy jacaranda flowers) driveway, the rear wheels started skidding and kept on skidding. I tried again with my head out the window watching the front wheel and no, it wasn't skidding.
So what's the deal??? Surely quadradrive or even quadratrack is supposed to work in reverse!
I was deffinately getting power to the front wheels a month ago on the beach and then at the jamboree, even if it did seem to bog down a bit at the back first
Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2006
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's pretty embarrassing...

When I had no drive to the front wheels it was to do with a busted transmission oil sensor (or something like that - it was a while back now) - it thought it didn't have enough oil so it cut power to the front wheels... Happened going uphill at the front though, not backwards...
Old 04-11-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah embarrassing is right, puts me at the same level as a mate in a hilux... but it was dry and flower-less then and he had lot of goes at it lol

Might be the same problem you had... if it was your fronts going uphill forwards, stands to reason that it might be my rears going uphill in reverse...

Last edited by bikemat; 04-11-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2006

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

where in brissy are you might pay to take to footo's or hammonds
Old 04-11-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i'm just down the road from footo's - use him for services
It's under warranty still so i'll just go hassle jeep about it when i get some time
I just tried it again driving up the driveway forwards and it engaged 4wd no probs
Old 20-11-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i spoke on the phone to someone from the jeep service department at mansfield (brisbane) and he told me that quadra-drive wouldn't transfer the power from front to back axle, only left or right wheel on the axle and that i should've tried low range (to get up a driveway?!?).
I was under the impression that quadradrive would transfer power to the wheels with traction, regardless of axle, otherwise i'd just be sitting in rear wheel drive permanently wouldn't i????
Can someone give me some opinions before i go in on monday and make a fool of myself?
Old 20-11-2006
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat
well i spoke on the phone to someone from the jeep service department at mansfield (brisbane) and he told me that quadra-drive wouldn't transfer the power from front to back axle, only left or right wheel on the axle and that i should've tried low range (to get up a driveway?!?).
I was under the impression that quadradrive would transfer power to the wheels with traction, regardless of axle, otherwise i'd just be sitting in rear wheel drive permanently wouldn't i????
Can someone give me some opinions before i go in on monday and make a fool of myself?
You're right QuadraDrive is as quoted in the flyer I have for the model I bought "Utilses a gerator coupling.....in the front and back axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and /or from side to side within each axle when wheel spin slippage.....includeds low-range.
also did you know that there are actually 6 gear ratios not five!
steve
Post New Thread  Reply