Possible suspension issue? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
I'll see what I can see up in there tomorrow, but the sheet metal has definitely torn outwards, which seems odd if the bush pushed through.

And yeah, next time this thing moves it's going on a tilt tray.
The bush lives in the suspension cradle and its all held against the body by the bolt, the shaft is inside the body............. here's a pic of mine compared to yours, as good as I could get but its all up close to the body, your pic the arrow shows where the cradle should be and on close inspection of mine I notice what I hope is a panel join not a crack, looks like it will be up on the stands in shed this morning, I can hear the Crows gathering on the fence already........... ............. PS: Its not a crack thank F............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 17-09-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 17-09-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

[QUOTE=drover;1693759]The bush lives in the suspension cradle and its all held against the body by the bolt, the shaft is inside the body............. here's a pic of mine compared to yours, as good as I could get but its all up close to the body, your pic the arrow shows where the cradle should be and on close inspection of mine I notice what I hope is a panel join not a crack, looks like it will be up on the stands in shed this morning, I can hear the Crows gathering on the fence already........... ............. PS: Its not a crack thank F............

Hmmmm....that looks like a crack running across the mount from the 'sub-frame' seam edge top left of screen....the other 'line' is seam edge running along the mount and 'sub-frame'.....deary deary....another thing to check....will use a pit and have a look under mine....dont want the arse end coming adrift whilst towing....not a manuevre Im intetested in attempting to correct....metal doesnt look very '
robust'....but how can you achieve 'great mileage' with a genuine gauge metal chassis....cheaper running costs or the car staying together...difficult decision....NOT.....bean counters...fair dinkim.....brains n statues...first Ive heard about it and mines an older bus like yours hookie...better plan to check mine asap.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 17-09-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 17-09-2023
MonsterMoose

I had a really good lookie with a really bright light, not a crack in mine just the flash making a seam look like it, thank bluddy god, being made of dog food tin there are multiple folded panels, fixed the leaky fuel filter and folded back in pplace the heat shield around the TC which something had hit, wouldn't mind a bash plate there as its pretty exposed... ............ and being Sunday continued with my Sunday Tyre Kick, every thing looks hunky dory and added a few ml of LDAS..

So we sit back to see how you go @Hookie, I can imagine quite a few of us have rolled underneath with a strong light to have an inspection as well........ I find one of those small LED torches to be the ants pants for checking things ...

Old 17-09-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

OMG that looks bad. Pothole damage ??
Old 17-09-2023
Established Member

Liked 120 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
@Hookie see if you can get a photo of the bush in the subframe
Got a couple of pics, from the drivers side this time. Bushes in both sides still seem to be in good condition, and I couldn't see any signs of stress on the rear ones (though I'm sure there is some). My sister in law ran parts for a big chrysler dealership in the US for 30 odd years and reckons there's a decent chance it's scrap, but I'll see what options Jeep'R'Us can give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (189.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 17-09-2023
Established Member

Liked 120 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Laredo View Post
OMG that looks bad. Pothole damage ??
I honestly don't know it there was a single cause or it just slowly sheared out over time. It certainly hasn't taken any hard knocks under my watch. I also have no idea what condition that particular part was in when I bought it.
Old 17-09-2023
MonsterMoose

Looking at the pics I think they are on the way to being rooted, as we once said..........
After having a look at mine, the amount of double/triple panels around there it will need a good survey as its a major structural point so the outcome may be to trash it, if doable it would probably be find a wreck and cut the mounts out of it and replace the mangled ones in yours with them, major load point so would need to be engineer certified I suppose. ...............

Haven't been able to find any body drawings relating to the mounts either.....

Post New Thread  Reply