WJ diff info - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WJ diff info

Hi Guys, looking at buying a 99 0r 00 model wj limited 4.7L and just wondering what diffs are under them and are they different between the two models, also are they any good, what ratio,and do some have quadratrac? is quadratrac as good as a diff lock or is it just a fancy name for a lsd..
looking for any info. Thanks Mark..
Old 12-02-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

quadra-trac comes on all of them, it's quadra-drive that you want.
While it may not be quite as good as diff-locks, it's very very close - DEFFINATELY get it if you're going offroad much, you'll never have problems with being crossed up like many other 4wds
It's much better than other traction control systems which brake the spinning wheel thus detracting from your power
Old 12-02-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

The quadra -drive is good unless you want fit the arb air locker in the front which is only available in the quadratrac II.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 13-02-2008
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The diffs are Dana 30 in the front and Dana 44a in the rear. Gear ratios should be 3.73 but could be numerically lower, 3.07 I think. My ratios are 3.73 but I have 4.0l with upcountry suspension and tow pack.
The D44a housing is aluminium hence the "a".

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 13-02-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quadradrive works great in wet road conditions.When i drive my mrs overland in the wet it is very hard to get crossed up even if you try
Old 13-02-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM JEEP View Post
Quadradrive works great in wet road conditions.When i drive my mrs overland in the wet it is very hard to get crossed up even if you try
I think by crossed up bikemat meant crossed up when articulating off road, where 4x4's with-out a locked diff just spinn wheels and get no forward movement due to the power going to the two wheels with least resistance.

(not crossed up as in Kerb to Kerb snakey's. Very hard to do with 4 wheels getting traction ) don't roll it trying but!

I agree that Quadra drive is Great however, if you want to do some more advanced off roading a Locker is by far the best choice.

In austarlia the Grands are all 4x4 with Quadra-drive Quadra Trac II or in the diesel Quadra Trac.... the later having open diff centers ( not lsd ).

ARB air lockers avaliable for the Front only on Trac and Trac II however Axel conversions are a great way to go if your building a Jeep you wanna wheel hard and Keep... Big $$$ But.

HEMI

Last edited by hemijeepy; 13-02-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 13-02-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Go for the Quadradrive if you can. It is basically an automatically locking diff. Fundamentally the only differance between the ARB Locker and Quadradrive is you can/have to manually activate the ARB Locker.
As Hemijeepy said the only way to fit a locker in the rear is to do a axle conversion like what Iron Rock has with puting in JK axles - but it is big dollars (about $6,000USD plus shipping for front and rear and you still have to have a 5.5 lift put in) and I can't see the point for that sort of $'s. Here is the link to Iron Rock's axle conversion - http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...ory_Code=WJJKA
Post New Thread  Reply