Clunk/pop from rear end - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

Have the sane issue with my MY14 gc diesel.
My car has the self leveling shocks on the rear
Went to Pedders and their machine couldnt pick up anything except
the rear shocks were a little soft after 120,000 kms but were aware of the rumbling / rattle issue in some of the jeep gc.
They gave me two options, one was to put standard shocks in and beef up the springs , which they reckon most people do or they recommended if i wanted to keep the self leveling function to use a set of KYB shocks which the are oem equivalent self leveling,got quoted about $1,300 and $1,400 respectively .
Going in to get the KYB s fitted tuesday.
They reckon the noise it from either the top mounts or the shocks or both.
We shall see.
Old 11-08-2021
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Have the sane issue with my MY14 gc diesel.
My car has the self leveling shocks on the rear
Went to Pedders and their machine couldnt pick up anything except
the rear shocks were a little soft after 120,000 kms but were aware of the rumbling / rattle issue in some of the jeep gc.
They gave me two options, one was to put standard shocks in and beef up the springs , which they reckon most people do or they recommended if i wanted to keep the self leveling function to use a set of KYB shocks which the are oem equivalent self leveling,got quoted about $1,300 and $1,400 respectively .
Going in to get the KYB s fitted tuesday.
They reckon the noise it from either the top mounts or the shocks or both.
We shall see.
My understanding was that without the Nivomats you loose your tow rating
do the KYB still retain that?
Did they stop the rattle?

Last edited by noone606; 11-08-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone606 View Post
If you just change the shocks you technically do but changing the to after market not always so, when you change the shocks you should change the whole set up springs as well as shocks then everything should work together in harmony...
You should research the shocks and springs fully, don't rely on he said she said, especially not Faceache posts, your vehicle is not the same as others and thats including driving style...... I have seen many complaints about spring/shockie fails and some of the time its because the fitter that has been entrusted with the job, see's only Grand Cherokee not knowing or be bothered finding out they aren't all the same, put diesel springs on a petrol and you need 2 kidney belts............ if your height has dropped its not shocks its springs.

I replaced my springs but kept my Nivomatts, they are a great shockie for OE, pity the OE springs are rubbish.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 11-08-2021
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

I'll just throw this in here for good measure.

A little while back I had a KJ. As you were driving along there would be a crash and groan from the diff as though the internal clutches had broken free and fouling on the crown wheel. This would bring the car to a halt and after moving backwards and forwards a couple of times the back end freed up and I was able to continue my journey.

Turned out to be the handbrake brake material had parted company from the shoe and as you went over a bump the brake material would jam the wheel. It took my diff man to find it.
Old 15-08-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone606 View Post
kyb make a self levelling shock which is a direct replacement to the
Nivomats.
I have them fitted, great shocks, no clunks or rattles.
Old 04-09-2021
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
kyb make a self levelling shock which is a direct replacement to the
Nivomats.
I have them fitted, great shocks, no clunks or rattles.
Hi genpk, can you post more info on the KYB shock replacement please.
Part number, suppliers contact details etc.
I have had nivomats on back order for 4 months and now the supplier has refunded my money saying only Jeep can supply them now at $2000 each.
My local Pedders have been no help at all.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have a 2014 WK2 5.7 Hemi

1995 XJ Limited.
2009 KK Limited 3.7 petrol,Freedom Pack.

Current
2014 WK2, 5.7 Hemi

Last edited by o1xjr; 04-09-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1xjr View Post
Hi genpk, can you post more info on the KYB shock replacement please.
Part number, suppliers contact details etc.
I have had in mats on back order for 4 months and now the supplier has refunded my money saying only Jeep can supply them now at $2000 each.
My local Pedders have been no help at all.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have a 2014 WK2 5.7 Hemi
I think your after the KYB SR-2911 shock thats about all I know about them though.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply