gen 3 ls1 350 chev conversion for jk wrangler - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolli View Post
Bisnut - Are you sure about that? I am not sure what QLD has, but in WA its only exhaust gases that make it illegal/legal.

As for your list, many engine management systems will run cruise control, traction control and ABS. Airbags should (I say that ignorantly) be independant (they should fire without the battery in the car!), seat belts are mechanical, lamps and switchs can easily be rerouted to the traditional hardwired systems, instrument clusters can either be rewired or replaced.

I know it sounds like alot of work, but every engine transplant is!
I'm pretty sure removing the systems concerning ESP, airbag and seatbelt monitoring would be defectable modifications.
If you could duplicate everything in function using approved and tested components for safety systems then I guess they would give the modifications approval.
So I guess the best bet is to get your Engine CPU to talk to the main CPU or have the main CPU ignore it somehow.
I'm no expert in these fangled car CPU things myself, I haven't seen an drawings on exactly how it all works, but I do deal with interfacing machinery CPU's (PLC's) to each other a fair bit and it can be a headache.

Yeah most conversions are a lot of work, and from what I've seen any one with basic skills can use a kit to drop an engine in, to make it a good conversion involves matching the right motor to the application and all the little things like cooling system, throttle linkages and wiring that make the difference between a good conversion and a bad one.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............

Last edited by BrisNut; 29-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 31-12-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

G'day Shane here's a link to one being done in Dubai he's using an LSx and seems to have most of it sorted.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=102108
Old 02-01-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i asked burnsville off road about a conversion kit( like the hemi conversion) but they have nothing, and didnt seem intrested. a four door with a 350 chev would be a great 4x4.
Old 02-01-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoforsure View Post
i asked burnsville off road about a conversion kit( like the hemi conversion) but they have nothing, and didnt seem intrested.
Gee mate, with the various Mopar mills the Yanks have available to em, why would they dick around with a chebby????
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanoforsure View Post
A four door with a 350 chev would be a great 4x4.
Not as good as a HEMI.............
Old 02-01-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cause the chev is a f...load cheaper to buy than a hemi boat anchor and also chev is a crap load easier to get power upgrades cause of its huge aftermarket support .
Old 02-01-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe in Aus because of all the dunnydores, but in the greater scheme of things (globally) the Mopar isn't anymore expensive than GM or Formoco.......Check out this boat anchor,http://www.teambrayracing.com/newsit...carsvictor.php and in a Chev to boot. You'd reckon he'd run a chev, in his chev eh???? Obviously the man wants to win!!!Might have to whip down to Haynes hunter and grab myself one of those suckers before someone launches it......
Old 02-01-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well that is the most stupid comparison i have seen a big block drag car motor to a small block road going engine . jk guys use hemis cause of the computer is easier to match up so the rest of there electric junk works .
all other jeeps usually go for chev engines as it is by far a cheaper and easier conversion to do even the guys on pirate say the chev is a cheaper option that is better for offroad use
Post New Thread  Reply