Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2015
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

All Aus delivered xj's have the same cooling system, just perifirals like hot water taps are different between the pre and post updates.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 23-10-2015
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Ok rainman cool I didn't know that I was just going on google and youtube and that was yank stuff same but different
speaking of yank stuff over heating posts on other jeep forums most say their jeeps run at 210 f
so lets talk the temp gauge sensor located at the rear of the block I believe?
starts at 40 in the middle is 100 then another notch ? I assume 110??? then last into the red so if I am running kissing the RED I must be way up there? as I converted 110C to F is 230ish.........and I run higher than that with a new cooling system?
I wonder if there is a crack in the head as last year when the thermostats died on me I boiled it a few times..............I have checked and there is no evidence of that I did notice when changing the plugs before my Hot run that num 6 and 3 were my hottest looking with 6 being the hottest
rainman I see you are running a taurus fan as in ford taurus did you do away with the clutch fan ? whats your setup and do you run cooler?
se everyone where does your temp gauge sit?
Old 23-10-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Specs for running temp are between 90.5 and 98.9, lets make that 90 and 99C.
I'm been driving around with the Live Data scan on for a few weeks, to see where my temps ended up after the radiator being reconditioned.

I found out, that "middle of the gauge" indicated as being 100, is more like 96C.
A needle thickness below is about 94 and one after is about 98C.
When I increase revs, my temps sometimes went down to even 91-92C, at which the 195F rated thermo only barely opens (which btw is one of the very few items I ever bought from the dealer because OEM is far more stable and reliable than the aftermarkets, I found).

My cruising temp seems to be a needle under midscale atm, and currently equates to about 94-95C.

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.

Last edited by Roler; 23-10-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 23-10-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Lulubelle, have you tried removing the thermostat yet to see how the temp goes?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-10-2015
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Lulubelle, have you tried removing the thermostat yet to see how the temp goes?
Well junglejuice I thought about that but after reading about thermostats constant flow etc. I dunnO? the ECU thinks its running choke from what I have read + too much flow through the radiator wont cool down fast enough
before re-entering the block? I thought about getting a thermostat and drilling multiple holes in it to always have a minor flow and constantly slowly changing the coolant instead of big bursts when the thermostat opens apparently my thermostat opens at 85 deg

I pulled the 6x4 trailer full of junk to the dump today it was a hot day here in central qld after unloading went for a drive to the car gravelard driving around some bush tracks slow towing the trailer for about 15 20 mins the temp was stable at around 110 112 looking good

I dunno if it might be a airflow issue at speed like I said the rad is new but what about the air cond rad and transmission cooler rad 1996 vintage? I might remove the grill tomorrow and preasure wash them might be junk in there restricting the airflow cant hurt

still thinking about a scoop dumping air on the exhaust manifold and some vents for traffic or slow 4x4 not that I have done any 4x4ing its taken me years on a pensioner budget to get this beast back to life had been sitting for 3 years before I got it
lets see how the pressure wash goes

Last edited by LuluBelle; 23-10-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: stupid
Old 23-10-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

But wasn't the original problem at highway speeds?
A good clean air path has to be a good thing...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 23-10-2015
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

I have set mine up pretty much exactly like go jeep including the tranny cooler.
Until I flocked my radator then put in a stroker in. It would heat up to 104*c the fans would switch on and smash the temp down to 97 then switch off. Would go like that all day. If highway driving the fans would switch on with the a/c.
But with or with out ac would hang around the 100*c. On the highway.
Wheeling in summer would sometimes have to switch the fan to high.
Have you read Rodger bones write up? Overheat is after 112*c.
That being said I would not b happy with 108*c 'just cousin around'.

Right now it is a bit different with a engine oil/ coolent oil cooler set up, and a thermo switch driving the Taurus fan. I have ordered a high flow water pump from hesco, and when this gos in the thermo switch for the Taurus is coming out.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 23-10-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply