Lane Poole Reserve - Dwellingup (4wd Days out of Perth) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Lane Poole Reserve - Dwellingup (4wd Days out of Perth)

Hi All,

Just got back from 4 days camping down at Lane Poole Reserve just outside Dwellingup (about 1 hr south east of Perth). Me and the missus figured while we were down there that we would give a couple of the "4wd days out of Perth" tracks a shot.

For those of you who aren't local to Perth, "4wd days out of Perth" is a local "book" produced by the people who publish the "Western 4wDriver" quarterly magazine. It covers 14 different 4wd trips that take a day Perth to Perth. According to them, most of the trips are suitable to soft roaders so are good for 4wd newbies like me and the missus.

First Day of 4wdriving

On the second day of our time down at Lane Poole Reserve we did trip No. 3 - Up the Murray. It is about a 4 to 5 hour trip depending on how fast you go. The trip notes in the book are very accurate however track conditions are slightly different from what was stated.

There were a couple of mud puddles that, based on their length and width (i.e. covering the whole track and rutted) required a little investigation but they turned out to be only about 6 inches deep <chuckle> so the missus had some fun running through them while I took photos. Nothing like a bit of mud to develop some street cred

About half way through the trip we came across a small rocky section that I decided to check out before going through. While we were at the rocky section we met up with a couple in a Navara ute with a fibreglass camper on the back. They were heading in the opposite direction and were checking out the obstacle themselves. After a bit of discussion I decided to give it a shot and without any problems at all made it through (It looked a lot worse than it was). They decided to give it a miss though and followed us back along the track for a bit.

Continuing on we got to a 3 way fork in the road. The trip notes stated as follows:

6.97km Mayer Road on RHS (Wpt 3); BR (Bear Right)

4.42km Fork: BL (Bear Left) on Keats Road

There was no reference to the other 2 forks. This caused us some confusion as Mayer road looked unused. Initially we took the centre track as this seemed to "bear right" but after 2km we ran out of track (No Keats Road). We back tracked to the three way fork and after resetting our odometer headed up Mayer road.

From this point the track started to get a bit rough but not difficult. There were quite a few obstacles across the track (e.g. fallen trees) that we either moved or went around. We had to keep a close eye on the odometer as well as this section’s tracks were all very unused. Needless to say we made it through without any problems though (just slightly sore necks from all the jolting <grin>)

Summary of Track No. 3

To summarize this track I would say that it is really simple and a great starting place for newbies with no hard sections but lots of fun. There is also a little bit of history along the way with sections of bridges from the old timber tramways still being visible.

Second Day of 4wdriving

On the third day of our camping trip we decided to do Trip No. 14 – Baden Powell to Yarloop.

This trip was a lot more challenging than the first and would definitely not be suitable for soft roaders.

Because we were staying at Tony’s Bend campsite we skipped the first 10 points in the trip notes. I should point out that the trip notes for this, and the previous trip all start at the CALM office in Dwellingup which is kind of handy as it is a good idea to check with them to ensure the roads are open. When we went through they were planning an aerial burn of the area but we got the ok to go through.

Throughout this trip we needed to engage low range and take it nice and easy. Despite the trip notes stating that the “Trip consists of bush tracks with no extreme sections, although care needs to be taken in detouring around fallen trees off Driver road”, we found that the track conditions had deteriorated quite markedly with there being lots of rutted and rocky sections including rutted inclines and declines.

At one point, through not listening to the missus’ advice, I managed to get our front LH wheel airborne and also managed to fall into a deep rut on another section (again for not listening to the missus) almost getting stuck. Fortunately partially due to luck and partially due to the training course we took a couple of weeks ago we managed to back ourselves out of the problems without too much difficulty.

THIS TRACK IS FUN!!!!!!

What more can I say. For newbies it is a challenge and a lot of the sections look quite daunting. I would not recommend anyone inexperienced do this track without either a) doing a good training course first or b) going with someone experienced. At the end of the trip you get a great view and, if you leave at around midday as we did, the sunset is spectacular.

As soon as I get a chance I will attach a few photos so you can see what the trip was like.

To finish off our stay down south we spent a relaxing time just sitting around the campfire eating damper and drinking beer…. Nice.. We had no major problems other than running out of washer fluid, the driver’s side central door locking mechanism stopping working and .. hehehe… much to my embarrassment…. the evening before we left I had been running our radio.. the next morning, after we had packed the Jeep up and were ready to go, we found we had a flat battery <chuckle>. This will teach me to be a little more careful in future. Lucky for us a CALM Officer (didn’t get her name unfortunately) happened to be going by about 15 minutes after we realised that we couldn’t start the engine and saved the day by giving us a jump start. (Big thanks to her).

One last word.. after a few close shaves I have learnt to listen to the Missus (Yes ladies you heard right, a bloke who listens )

WARNING:
I HAVE A JEEP AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!
Old 18-05-2007
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Good write-up amicus, carn't wait for the pics.
Old 18-05-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds Great, Will have to give it a go myself.
Old 18-05-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally the photos.. sorry about the delay. Unfortunately the photos, as usual, never show what it really looked like. But they give some idea of the trip. I didn't get any photos of the drop into the rut or the wheel lift.. too busy getting out <grin>. Anyway.. hope you enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At_Camp_01.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	19591   Click image for larger version

Name:	At_Camp_02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	19592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tram Bridge.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	19593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scenery.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	19594  

WARNING:
Old 18-05-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another four photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mmm_Mud.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	19595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mmmm.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	19596   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmm_through.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	19597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rutted_Fun.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	19598  

WARNING:
Old 18-05-2007
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to see another Grand getting out and dirty.

MMMMM..... I've got that book.........mmuuuud........

Matt
2013 WK2 3.0
CRDSTU Lift | Uneek BullBar | Mopar Skids
Old 19-05-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

MudMudMudMudMudMudMudMud

Might have to add that place onto the list.
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Post New Thread  Reply