JKU: RPM's Custom Hex Housing Diff Build - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-10-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Update time...

It's been a while and the build has progressed alot since the last update.

I was asked to do another wedding by a mate and the JK was far too dirty and scratched up, so I took it and had it detailed for the big day. It scrubbed up pretty nice...

I've had to use my winch alot lately and the lowmount 12 volt winch was frustrating me because it's so slow.

I sourced a warn highmount winch with a 6hp motor, air freespool and a few other mods done to it. To run the winch a Uneek battery tub was installed in the rear of JK and 2 massive batteries were installed. I wanted to run 24 volts to my winch for extra pulling power and line speed. There was no room to fit a 2nd alternator to run the 24 volt system, so a Redwinch Supercharge box was sourced from the UK. This box basically boosts 12v to 24v.

This is the 24v system pretty much finished with the Redwinch Supercharge Box in the background. It's all hidden by the drawer system.

The Jeep also underwent an electrical makeover while the 24v system was installed. I had pretty much all the electrical accessories re-wired to a sub-fuse box in the glove box. We also installed a twin motor 24 volt ARB compressor in the rear of the Jeep, fixed to the top of the drawer system. A small separate air tank was also mounted to the rear cage. The compressor on 24 volt is awesome. A 37 inch tyre can be aired up from flat in a couple of minutes. The factory Sub-Whoofer was also mounted on top of the rear drawers.

Because the CRD JK's are notorious for overheating I wanted to keep the highmount winch as low as possible. All of the off the shelf options were not suitable, so a custom bar was fabbed up and powdercoated by my diff builder. I'm happy with the results...

I also picked up a set of ATX Chamber Pro 2 beadlocks. They are an awesome wheel.

Also I had my steel beadlocks powdercoated and I fitted some new sticky treps.

Here's a vid of rock step at Ellis Track.

I know we all love pics, so here's some pics of recent trips...

I also built an Axial SCX10 remote controlled Wrangler. It's good to get my wheeling fix when the Jeep's in the shop being fixed...

Last edited by rpm; 16-10-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2016
Senior Newbie

Some random pictures from recent trips

Old 05-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

All i can say is... nice

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 04-03-2017
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang0 View Post
All i can say is... nice
Thanks Dan... I haven't checked this thread in ages. We'll have to catch up again and go for a drive
Old 12-04-2022
Senior Newbie

I haven't updated this thread for years. A lot has happened to the Jeep over the years. It's now a bit of a swiss army knife. It can tow our caravan, camper trailer and it can also do the tough tracks with ease depending on what tyres I fit. It doesn't overheat while towing due to the radiator, fan and billet cooler plate upgrades. It's stopped chewing through steering boxes since I did the hydro-assist steering upgrade and it's now fairly quiet to drive due to the sound deadener carbuilders kit that was installed.

Anyway here is some pics from over the years...

Oh and I also bought a LWB Sierra and built that over the Covid period. It's twin air-locked, reduction gears, full-float rear end, RUF and little 31's. It goes anywhere and is heaps more fun than the Jeep to drive.

The Flexwall at my place...

This is my favorite pic...

I also did a trip to Wombat and Cobaw in the Jeep with a couple of zooks. I wanted to take the Jeep because I just installed a Red Neck Ram Hydro assist ram and a PSC steering box. I also just replaced all the tie rod ends etc... The jeep now drives in a straight line for the first time in about 8 years. It's actually nice to drive... I couldn't be happier with the result both on the road at low/high speeds on the tarmac and also offroad aired down with Treps playing on the rocks. I still need to wrap the hydraulic lines in spiral wrap to finish the job off. I've just put some flexible electrical conduit on them for now to get me by.

The Jeep was due for some love. The highmount winch in the six years or so that I've owned it has never been apart. I've changed the oil a couple of times, but she was due for some love. While it's all apart getting all the serviceable parts replaced I decided to upgrade the top hat. KOV out of Croatia have developed a two speed top hat with an air actuated gear. Gear 1 is 17% faster than a standard highmount and gear 2 is 50% faster than a standard highmount. I'm also swapping motors over to a Road Runner Offroad 6.8 Hp Bullet motor I've had for a while. The upgraded 2 speed top hat, with the new motor, combined with some fresh batteries and the Redwinch 24v supercharge system, it should pull like a train.

Here's the new tophat...

This pic is the panel under the steering wheel. The red air switch on the left controls the 2 speed winch top hat and the black are switch on the right controls the winches air free spool.

The batteries have been in the Jeep since 2015 so I figured they were probably due for replacement. I should've checked the voltage before ordering new ones as I could've saved myself $700. The old batteries were fine after I charged them up with the Ctek.

To get to the batteries which are in an enlarged storage tub in the rear and the floor, first I had to remove the drawer system. This is a major pain to remove, so I figured while all this junk was out I should go ahead and install a Car Builder's sound deadening kit. It was a massive amount of work to install all the sound deadening. First I had to remove all the interior. Under the carpet was a lovely layer of mud, so It took me a whole Saturday just to prep the floor pan for stage 1 of the sound deadening system which is an aluminum backed butyl sheet. It took a lot longer than anticipated to install stage 1 and 2, but it's all done now and I couldn't be happier with the results. I even took the doors apart and applied stage 1 sheets to the door skins. The Jeep has the aerodynamics of a brick and that combined with big mud tyres it was impossible to have a conversation with a passenger without having to yell. Now it's pretty much just like a normal car. It drives so nice now, I'm stoked...

Stage 1...

Stage 1 inside the doors...

Stage 2... This is a vinyl backed foam noise liner light for the cabin and a vinyl backed foam noise liner heavy which is a lot thicker for the cargo area. I found that tracing the carpet outline onto the vinyl sheets was the best way to get a neat result.

I also wrapped all of the hydro assist steering lines in pvc spiral wrap. It was a dog of a job to wrap the lines as there is no room at all under the Jeep. My knuckles copped it and my forearms were pumped like pop-eye's after I finished the job. But it was well worth all the effort for the peace of mind knowing that all the lines are protected.

I also picked up a set of pretty much brand new 40 inch sticky treps on some beadlocked rims. So that's the next job to try and make them work. I'm confident they will clear in the rear no worries, but the with the front I'll have to extend by front bumpstops at least 1.5 inches to make it all work properly.

Here's a pic of a 37 inch trep Vs a 40 inch trep. They're massive...

Hopefully the next pics I upload will be some poser flex pics on my flex wall with the 40's fitted

We did a last minute Friday night trip and took both my JK and Emu the Sierra out for a play. I pretty much just let my mates drive the two rigs while i took some footage while we still had some daylight left. We all had a blast…
https://youtu.be/OuO7bFuVqtU

I finally have the winch back on the Jeep after the rebuild and upgrades. It’s got a two speed air actuated tophat. On 24 volt it’s super fast. I got stuck in a creek and it seemed like i was wedged against a big log under the water. It was a good opportunity to test the winch out. It pulled like a train. I’m very happy.

My family and I spent 2 weeks doing a lap of Tassie. We spent the first week offroading on the Westcoast with our camper trailer.

Here's a video I put together with the limited footage that my wife took.

Here's some random pics.

I'd love to go back in winter and tackle those tracks again. It would be alot harder in the wet.

This followed me home the other day... It's a stretched Suzuki LJ80 over a 1998 Suzuki Jimny chassis with coiled suspension, engine, running gear, dash, seats, etc... The body was stretched through the door/sill.

A pic I found on the net from when it was featured in 4wd Action Magazine.

After a lot of cleaning LJimny now looks like this...

I believe "LJ" stands for "Little Jeep", so it's sort of appropriate to post this content... haha...
Old 12-04-2022
Senior Newbie

Here's some pics from when the billet cooler plate, radiator and extreme duty clutch fan were installed.

The billet cooler plate was purchased through Damian from Midnightmods.
http://www.midnightmods.com.au/zen-cart/index.php

With the standard setup, the engine oil and coolant run through a small heat exchanger on the side of the motor. This results in the oil heating up the coolant and vice versa. The cooler plate blanks off the water flow through the heat exchanger and enables a cooler to be used to cool the engine oil, similar to what we do with the remote auto transmission coolers.

As I run a Teraflex quick disconnect swaybar setup, I had a nice piece of real estate where the standard swaybar would sit. I made up a flat piece of plate to mount the Derale remote engine oil cooler which bolts into the bottom of each chassis rail fixed to the steel plate. The pitman arm only just clears the edge of the fan. To be honest it was a packaging nightmare, but I managed to sort it all out and it works a treat. The engine oil cooler is 100% waterproof/dust proof and it also has a fan connected to a thermostat which I can override by either turning it on or off. This has come in handy for turning it off before doing a deep boghole, or turning it on before driving up a massive big hill when towing the caravan. The oil cooler plate, remote oil cooler with fan, combined with the PWR radiator, fan shroud mod and sever duty clutch fan has been a game changer. I can tow our caravan up hills with 5 people on board with all of our gear, bikes, etc, have the air conditioning on and the Jeep doesn't brake a sweat. The downside to the severe duty clutch fan is increased fuel consumption. I've since purchased a less aggressive clutch fan, but I'm yet to install it.

Since I took these photos I've installed a hydro-assist steering setup. I mounted the power steering cooler above the engine oil cooler as it was the only spot I could fit it in.

Also, a Directionplus Provent and Pre-Line Diesel filter with alarm was installed for piece of mind. I had to tweak the bracket and run the provent the opposite way due to the Safari snorkle. Again, packaging was a nightmare, but I managed to squeeze it in. I also had to relocate my winch solenoid behind the ABS pump.

Post New Thread  Reply