Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 85 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-08-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Hey Clarky, I wonder if each case could be different. Given that I tried a non effected actuator and FDCM and swapped and change with the affected ones, and the only combination that worked for me (and still works every time) is the non affected FDCM and the affected actuator?????

As Professor Julius Sumner Miller says....."Why is this so?"...

Cheers, Craig
Old 25-08-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Nope its in the actuator, that's why they were changing them. Proper term for the part is encoder

Read the attached PDF
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V175-1433.pdf

They changed mine to and there was nothing wrong with it.
Thanks for that Clarky. So from what they are saying the crack in the actuator circuit board traces in a bias (offset) position signal which could be incorrectly interpreted by the FDCM, but doesn't that relate to the neutral issue. I though I read somewhere that this 4x4 low problem is another issue ? I've had a look at my replaced actuator and the build date is 21.10.13 it has 9:37:55AM stamped on it. I would assume that as it was built after the recall in USA that it shouldn't have a cracked circuit board surely that would be the case.
Old 25-08-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
Hey Clarky, I wonder if each case could be different. Given that I tried a non effected actuator and FDCM and swapped and change with the affected ones, and the only combination that worked for me (and still works every time) is the non affected FDCM and the affected actuator?????

As Professor Julius Sumner Miller says....."Why is this so?"...

Cheers, Craig
....."Why is this so?" Arr.. let me enlighten you grass hopper The no low issue was caused by the software update of the FDCM. Pre-update FDCM's are unable to detect the faulty encoder in the actuator so they go about there business as normal, the signals they receive from the actuator are not perceived as a fault so 4 low continues to work. The update was supposed to detect the corrupted signal from the actuator (encoder) & disable the shifting ability (low & neutral) of the transfer case but as we all know now it disables the T/C with any variance of the 5volt supply to the FDCM.

Your old affected actuator may not be affected at all, not all have the encoder problem. If the non-affected actuator you have didn't work with a pre-FDCM I would say it has a fault in it, maybe not the encoder though.

With a proper software update C/F's solution should work, its a matter of getting it working in the real world environment that there engineers/tech's didn't succeed with.

Last edited by Clarky; 25-08-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 25-08-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
Thanks for that Clarky. So from what they are saying the crack in the actuator circuit board traces in a bias (offset) position signal which could be incorrectly interpreted by the FDCM, but doesn't that relate to the neutral issue. I though I read somewhere that this 4x4 low problem is another issue ? I've had a look at my replaced actuator and the build date is 21.10.13 it has 9:37:55AM stamped on it. I would assume that as it was built after the recall in USA that it shouldn't have a cracked circuit board surely that would be the case.
Clarky's already covered it, but here's a bit more anyway
The N23 update was (according to what has been published.) just an update to the conditions of the C140F code.

Here's the description of the new condition from STAR case;

Quote:
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F “Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance”
After Performing Recall N23

Discussion:
The Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) monitors the transfer case position sensor for two erratic
performance failures.
1. Position sensor drift to higher voltages during the drive cycle.
2. A difference between the encoder position value detected at first key on cycle compared to the
value stored into memory during the previous key off event.
Either failure mode will result in the setting of a permanent C140F fault. Once set, this fault will
remain active until the 4WD system is repaired. The “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster
will not illuminate when this fault sets until the customer attempts a range shift (between 4WD High
and 4WD Low, or Neutral).

Diagnosis:
1. Confirm the integrity of the Transfer Case shift motor wiring harness. Any circuit faults present
must be addressed prior to repairing the C140F fault. It is possible that both a C140F (Erratic
Encoder Performance Fault) and a C1405 fault (T-case range position sensor circuit high fault)
may be set due to the failure of the actuator. However, continuity of each circuit and checks
for short to ground and shorted circuit to circuit should be checked for each circuit of the TCase
interface.
2. Replace the actuator on the Transfer Case. Using the diagnostic tool, confirm that the position
sensor reading is 2.84 volts +/- 0.04. (FDCM / Read Write Data).
Parts Required:
AR (1) 05143786AA Actuator, Transfer Case

Repair Procedure:
1. Replace the actuator. Refer to the procedures identified in the appropriate Service Information
for additional information.
2. Perform a key cycle (Key ON and then key OFF). Allow sufficient time for the FDCM and the
entire vehicle bus to go to sleep. To be sure the entire vehicle bus to go to sleep, disconnect
all diagnostic tools from the vehicle, turn off the key, and remove key from the ignition. Close
all doors. Wait 5 minutes.
3. After performing the key cycle, DO NOT attempt to shift the transfer case using the customer
switch. This will prevent the C140F fault from clearing later.
4. Re-connect the diagnostic tool and cycle the key ON.
5. Select the FDCM, and issue the clear faults command two times. It is required to issue the
clear faults command twice.
6. After approximately 6 seconds, the C140F fault will de-mature to a “Stored” status. Confirm
that the diagnostic tool reports that the C140F fault is in a stored status (not “Active”). If after
30 seconds the fault is not in a stored status, return to step 3 and try again.
7. Once the C140F fault is in a stored status, perform one additional “Clear Faults” command.
This will completely remove the fault from the FDCM memory and return the 4WD system to
an operational status.
8. Perform a T-Case range shift to confirm that the 4WD system will shift to 4WD Low Range.
Shift the T-Case back to 4WD High Range. Repair complete.
I've successfully "tricked" an N23 FDCM (thanks to Clarky.) by placing a small micro-controller between the actuator and the FDCM.
I've tried two different behaviours;
One where it essentially limits the position sensor voltages given to the FDCM to always be within the range accepted by the N23 firmware.
Another where it records the position sensor voltage during key-off, and provides that voltage back to the FDCM during start-up (ignoring the real position sensor voltage.).

I guess we just need to wait for ozjeepster's experience with this latest update?
Old 26-08-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a total " Dumdo " I know how to start the thing , fill the tank , check the oil , select 4x4 low ( that doesn't work ) but that's the limit of my knowledge . The more of this tech stuff I read the more confused I get.
SO Please has the latest update by C/F fixed the problem?
I've taken mine back 3 times at 360 Klm a trip. The last time was November 2013 and I don't want to waste another day wondering around Canberra in the freezing cold for what is supposed to be a 30 minute fix .
Old 26-08-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 819 Times in 460 Posts

Please be aware that your vehicle has been fitted with a new actuator and the latest software applicable.
While there were some failures that occurred with the original software update there have been no failures attributable to the replacement of the Transfer case actuator and update to the latest software.
This rectification has been carried out in response to technical information supplied that is specifically applicable to the Australian market. Please be aware that information taken from internet forums is not necessarily applicable to the Australian market and cannot be relied upon as relevant to an Australian complied vehicle.
In short, Your vehicle has been rectified in accordance with manufacturers specifications.
The repair carries an implied 12 month 20,000 km warranty of its own, which is honored by any Authorized Jeep dealer Australia wide.
Kind Regards,
Anthony Harris
Fiat Chrysler Group
District Service Manager Northern NSW

Above is the Chrysler reply to my email re wanting a letter stating that the fitting of the actuator and latest software update last week permanently fixed the N23 recall problem in my vehicle !!
Old 26-08-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Hahaha, let's see how it goes. I hope it's the last of it.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Post New Thread  Reply