WH Grand Air Conditioning - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I just had the same problem with my 06 WH GC CRD had it re-gassed and dye put in the gas so we could track the leak if possible gas lasted 2 weeks dropped it of at a mates in mermaid he does air con on the Gold Coast

He spent another week trying to find out where the leak was coming from pulled the car nearly to pieces he was adamant it was the core in the dash a big job I had this done on my Jaguar 2 years ago no change from $2500

I decided to try this product http://www.cliplight.com/automotive/...-seal-premium/ 946 kit

Spoke to the Australian distributor Garry Oborne he recommended replacing the filter dryer receiver and getting the vacuum really down before using it its been in just over a week so far its super cold
I,ll let you know in a couple weeks can cost $145 from Bursons cheaper than a new core

Last edited by Doc; 05-02-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So. Update. Leak found by an air con guy recommended by my mechanic... Seems like a good guy. Reckons the leak is in the compressor (the dash out job). Awesome.

Is going the be expensive.

He reckons there is a stop leak product which is supposed to work but he isn't sold on it and thinks it probably won't work as the leak is apparently quite large.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay0019 View Post
So. Update. Leak found by an air con guy recommended by my mechanic... Seems like a good guy. Reckons the leak is in the compressor (the dash out job). Awesome.

Is going the be expensive.

He reckons there is a stop leak product which is supposed to work but he isn't sold on it and thinks it probably won't work as the leak is apparently quite large.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Why does the dash need to come out to fix a leak in/at the compressor? (It's bolted to the engine.).
Dash probably needs to come out to get to the evaporator (if that's what you meant to say?) and I assume expansion valve too.
Old 06-04-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
Why does the dash need to come out to fix a leak in/at the compressor? (It's bolted to the engine.).
Dash probably needs to come out to get to the evaporator (if that's what you meant to say?) and I assume expansion valve too.
Hi James, yes, you're correct. Apparently a 7-10 hour job...

I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas? Ha. Dang. Will cost about $1,500.00...
Old 06-04-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay0019 View Post
Hi James, yes, you're correct. Apparently a 7-10 hour job...

I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas? Ha. Dang. Will cost about $1,500.00...
I went through a similar drama with my WJ and went to various experts dye and re gassing numerous times and without ac for months then took to a Repco mechanic in Canberra he brought in his expert and it turned out to be $5 worth of O rings on the lines. All fixed. You are at the mercy of the gods!!!!!
Old 07-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post

All the XJ's, ZG's, TJ's don't use expansion (TX) valves - they're a fixed orifice type system, so check what basic system the WH's have.

If it's a very small hole in a difficult to get at spot, then the "magic gump" leak stop IS worth trying - it worked on my evaporator (behind dash) for about 1 1/2 years. iPrior to that, in use it would slowly lose gas for about a month before needing a re-gas. But it was a very small hole in the evaporator. After drawing down to very,very low vacuum it held for one hour, similarly after pressurising with CO2 or N gas it held for more than one hour - so given that the A/C guy was satisfied it WAS a small leak and that it WAS hard to get at he used the leak sealer stuff.

In the end there were other things wrong about 1 1/2 years later and I took the opportunity to replace the evaporator and the heater core. It took most of two full days and cost about $2800 parts and labour with parts at trade prices. This was on a ZG Limited.

Last edited by Doctor W; 07-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor W View Post
All the XJ's, ZG's, TJ's don't use expansion (TX) valves - they're a fixed orifice type system, so check what basic system the WH's have.
Aah interesting, thanks.
It appears that the WH uses a valve (judging by the parts listing.).

PS; it sounds like you had a good AC guy.
Post New Thread  Reply