Is the Australian Jeep Gladiator struggling? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2020
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,174 Times in 709 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Is the Australian Jeep Gladiator struggling?

2020 The Australian Jeep Gladiator Is StrugglingThe 2020 Jeep Gladiator is on Struggle Street, according to Automotive News, an outcome which is somewhat surprising but one which we sort of saw coming last month. It seems that $US33,545 ($50,246) is a lot of money to pay for a pickup.

By Jeep standards, that price is about in line with what you’d pay for other Jeeps—the base price for a Wrangler is $US28,295 ($42,382)—but it does seem remarkable that the Gladiator is the priciest of any standard Jeep vehicle, and for no good apparent reason.

But that’s all on paper (or at least the internet) at least, since Auto News says that the discounts have been heavy after sales dipped post-launch.

The Gladiator is competing with trucks like the Chevy Colorado and the Ford Ranger, both of which have a base price of less than $US30,000 ($44,936). It also apparently is drawing competition from inside its own house.

One dealer who asked not to be identified said the Gladiator has been pulling customers from the Wrangler, which is fairly close to the pickup’s pricing. The dealer considers both vehicles to be overpriced.

“We were selling [Gladiators] until the last couple of months. We were actually selling the high-end stuff, but again, that’s because of the newness of it, and everybody coming out to buy the one with all the equipment,” the dealer said. “But let’s call a spade a spade; $US30,000 ($44,936) to $US45,000 ($67,404) is the range that we should be in.”

“At first when we talked about the launch and everything else, they weren’t coming in this place saying we’re going to attack Ranger,” [Jeffrey Burnett, general manager of Millsboro Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram in Delaware] said. “They came to this place saying we’re going to have a vehicle unlike anybody else. Now I think they’re going into, ‘You know what? We can attack Ranger; we can attack [the Nissan] Frontier.’ “

Burnett said his store is selling 15 to 25 Gladiators a month, which isn’t far off from its numbers for the Wrangler and light-duty Ram. Nationally, Gladiator sales peaked at more than 6,000 in October before falling back slightly in November and December, according to estimates from the Automotive News Data Centre, while sales of the Wrangler and Ranger increased as the fourth quarter went on.

The Gladiator is a strange beast. Our own Jeep obsessive David Tracy absolutely loves it, but whenever I see it I get a nagging feeling about really just wanting an old Comanche. The Gladiator seems like too much in just about every department, though then again that describes almost every truck these days. Mainly it just seems sad that Jeep’s ostensible objective is to beat the Nissan Frontier.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Last edited by Jimmyb; 14-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 26-02-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default Overpriced

I saw the us spec rubicon gladiator yesterday. Looked imposing at 5.5m long, and the decent lift. I also heard the Aus spec will have different guards and tyre size. I loved it, but pricing is just too high. So it’s a no for me on those two fronts.

If sales are struggling ( not sure how they can be struggling considering they aren’t really being delivered yet). I’d suggest the $84k retail price has a lot to do with it.

Don’t forget the current downturn in the car market.
Old 26-02-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I was looking forward to buying one when they arrived, however, for me, they are too long and too pricey.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 26-02-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

Have they released the price? I went and saw one when it was in Townsville a couple of weeks ago and loved it! The salesman said only Overland and Rubicon are coming though which is a shame, I was thinking about a Sport S with max tow package but if they're going to be $84000 then I'm out. I really dont know how they think they'll sell at that price, Jeep already has an image problem and if Mercedes couldn't sell an overpriced ute when they are a brand people aspire to, I don't think Jeep has a hope, even if it does tick every other box.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 26-02-2020

Default Elephant in the room

Hi all
I have managed to have look at the Gladiator here in Perth and found it interesting at how little information was given to the dealer.
After a long chat with the salesman I left him with the following points that FCA should know but haven't seen written in any article about the Gladiator in Australian media.

The price is well over the competitor's as its aimed at mid sized dual cab ute.

Resale value on a jeep is bad to say the least!

The after sales service is poor when it comes to jeep dealers. (price wont fix that.)

The JL Rubicon was not imported with 33" tyre's so I'm guessing that the Gladiator will be the same. Apart from being over priced this is the biggest mistake they will make in my opinion.

so with the high price and the resale value (for current Jeeps) being so poor there is only one option and that is a land cruiser 79.

the land cruiser is the Gladiators only competitor in Australia and the media i would say have been gagged when it comes to this comparison.
I have a JKU 2007 with 176K on the clock which when new was $45k and today as a trade in $10k if I'm lucky.
A 79 dual cab's are still getting $30k to $40k with 200K plus on the clock and that's around 50% of the purchase price.

Love my JKU and cant wait to get a Gladiator Rubicon but with the things mentioned above and not being US spec the price is to high!
Old 27-02-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

How is the 76 the only competitor except price wise? The Gladiator's competitors are every dual cab ute on the market as no one cares about live axles anymore as they are the exception not the rule.

The only decent thing about a 76 series, is the ridiculous resale prices they are demanding and that's due to Australia's one eyed 4WD media who say that if you aren't in a Nissan or Toyota, you aren't in a real 4WD.

The 76 series are too heavy, crap in soft sand due to their odd wheel track and as uncomfortable as a tractor to drive for any distance.

I had one as a work vehicle and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Thankfully the gearbox let go and work moved it on.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 27-02-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

I bit the bullet and have a fully optioned JL Rubicon unlimited arriving off the boat next month. 69k on road. Expensive yes, but I had my last jk for 5 years or more and I plan on keeping this for the JL era.
Decided against the JT just due to its size and price. And no confirmed 3.0 eco diesel. I’d expect that engine package in the series 2 JL update after things settle down here. Same as the makeover the JK got.

Engineering a gladiator on 37s will be a challenge. And you really need them on that wheelbase.
35 on the JL will be easier..
2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS
Post New Thread  Reply