More lift for KJ CRD, OME kit + Extras - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has any design work been done on manufacturing a longer clevis in order to lift the front end? I am busy building a 3-piece aluminum clevis 25 mm longer than the original cast part. This should give me a 50 mm lift.
Comments will be appreciated.
2007 KJ Diesel Auto
Old 04-01-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Selwyn, I believe there is a spacer available in the US that goes on the lower strut collar and which the clevis rests against. Be aware that at least one lift expert in Australia is recommending against doing the clevis lift on spring lifted vehicles. Now as to manufacturing a Clevis in Aluminium, I would recommend that this be looked at by a qualified automotive mechanical engineer. The stressed placed on the Clevis may not permit fabrication in aluminium. This maybe dangerous for you and your family, not to mention voiding many aspects of your warranty.
Old 04-01-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The americans use 2" conduit nuts to support the 'clevis lift'. I used...nothing, just pried the shock upward and tightened the bolt.

If you want a 1" longer clevis just go and buy some, the KK's clevis is that much longer.

Now you did think about bump stops didn't you?

Making the clevis longer will make your front shock bottom out...

BTW: rock krawler tried this too...

Last edited by TonyCRD; 04-01-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2009
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selwyn View Post
Has any design work been done on manufacturing a longer clevis in order to lift the front end? I am busy building a 3-piece aluminum clevis 25 mm longer than the original cast part. This should give me a 50 mm lift.
Comments will be appreciated.

I would seriously reconsider making anything to do with the suspension components from aluminium, it would without doubt catistrophicly fail at some point, and would be a tragety just waiting to happen..

There are plenty of proven, safe altenatives out already, the clevis fork is one of the KEY components and has to be very very strong as it is what holds the vehicle up and takes all the forces of the road.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 23-02-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Clearance between clevis upper clamp and CV rubber

G'day KJers,

Have any of you experienced issues with the clearance between the LHS inboard CV rubber and the clevis upper clamp?

I installed CRDSTU's strut plate spacers on the weekend and noticed that at full droop, the clevis clamp touches the CV rubber boot. (I also now have the well documented UBJ contact)

The clevis clamp clears the rubber boot once the spring compresses approx 10mm

Pic from front:

Pic from back:

UBJ contact

Thanks,
Eric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00104.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	31372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	31373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00105.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	31374  
Old 28-02-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
The KK clevis is 10 mm longer than the KJ clevis, the KK clevis has a lip on the bottom eye that must be removed with a portable grinder. Here in SA a pair cost R1100.00 I suggest that you remove the spacers and fit the KK clevis.
2007 KJ Diesel Auto
Old 28-02-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That converts to $175 AUD for a pair??

Dang, that's cheap!

The first thing i have to do is change those darn bottom clevis bushes... prob not have an issue after i do that. Looks like a pain of a job too.
Post New Thread  Reply