Can Jeep Dealerships even fix their own brand cars? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Yes, jeep dealers hire the cheapest mechanics they can find & then charge the maximum for their time. Most other dealers are like that. Not naming the dealers shows weakness on your part though. Most jeep dealers have a presence on here & so to FCA. Your posts sound like you dont look after your jeep. Covered in mud underneath & drowning it are signs of this. No 4WD will survive a lack of basic maintenance including cleaning. Maybe you should have taken it through a few creeks before taking it in to the dealers. They dont like lumps of dry mud falling on their polished floors. The same goes for most brands. Interesting that you have not had issues with your KJ. they are known for being troublesome. Maybe its used as an urban 4WD?
Good luck with dealing with FCA. To them its all about bling. Maybe there needs to be a court case like the recent Mitsubishi one. You wont see them making outrageous claims about fuel economy anymore.
Old 11-09-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Not naming the dealers shows weakness on your part though. Your posts sound like you dont look after your jeep. Covered in mud underneath & drowning it are signs of this.
Thanks for reading the whole thing, it certainly is long. To clarify, I didn't know there was mud under the TJ (it was hardened clay actually) as I hadn't taken it offroad myself. I didn't look underneath it when I bought it, and probably should have. I couldn't get the crap off, it was in the connectors and everything. My point is I didn't have the skill, time, or patience, but I had the cash to pay someone to do it, and they couldn't / wouldn't.

As for drowning the current Jeep, my partner had depth measured the entire puddle except the entry point - it was a mistake. Rest assured, I spend huge money on my vehicle's upkeep. This was my point entirely -- no matter how much cash I wave in front of these dealerships, they still can't/won't fix the issues they are presented. My drowned Jeep had an insurance claim on it that day, and it was in the dealership the next day they were open. My service books are flawless.

As for not naming the dealerships, not weakness at all, it's calculated politeness. I am giving Dealership "C" a chance to actually fix my Jeep before I smear their name all over the forums. Don't worry - when they don't, ACCC, FCA, forums, Facebook, the press, and everyone else will hear of every incompetence in painful detail

Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to read my silly story.
Old 11-09-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

I have have two Jeeps (1995 XJ and JKU auto 2016).

Over 24 years, I have seen really good Jeep dealerships gone bad in the service department. This could be precipitated by a takeover, or even the head mechanic leaving. My last experience (over 10 years ago) with the XJ at a particular unnamed dealership saw the service team bumble to fix the rear main seal. It became a saga and if it wasn't so shocking, it would be laughable. For the XJ, I found a very good local mechanic and it has never seen a dealer since. Note: to find a good local workshop, they need to have a very experienced head mechanic and QC procedures. I usually supply the genuine parts if they can't source them or if I see a part on the way out, I order it and get them to fit as preventative maintenance. With my JKU, it is still under warranty, but my nearest dealer seems okay for now.

I can't complain about my rigs. Apart from wear and tear issues, my experience with the products is actually quite good. I have been all over the country with the XJ several times, much of it on the trails, and my JKU has mainly done blacktop service as it is waiting fitment of a rack, and other goodies when the warranty expires later in the year.

Having travelled extensively, I am amazed how there is a Toyota dealership/service centre in every small town, particularly in rural/agricultural areas. I am very impressed by this network, even though I have heard bad things about the DPFs in some of the vehicles. If I had to buy a new car today, it would probably be a 70 series for long range touring (because of the dealer network and for no other reason). Having said that, my XJ recently traversed some very harsh territory that predominantly had the 70 series trucks running on it (NGOs and Rural workers). A few of their drivers were looking over as they drove past thinking - "only in a Jeep".

Last edited by eksjay; 11-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Since most of my Jeeps have been well past their warranty days, I can't speak enough about how important a good local mechanic can be. I use an AutoCo in Canberra and they have been fantastic. We work together to source parts and they are very open with me about what has to be done and why. I know a lot of places that could fix it cheaper, but if you get OEM quality parts for the important stuff and a good mechanic you will be much happier in the long run. I know me telling you how expensive it is doesn't help, but know we all have to pay for it if we can't do the work in our driveway. Over time hopefully the good experiences outweigh the bad.

The good news is the community for Jeeps is great, and you can even post on US forums for people to help you source parts more cheaply if you can't find it direct. We are all in this together!

Also, you can get a little pressure washer from Aldi. On top of the other amazing things to power wash you can blast the underside of your Jeep. Nothing worse than turning a wrench and getting a dirt scab in your eye...and when you try to curse another bit falls in your mouth. Ain't pretty.
Old 11-09-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8shn View Post
Thanks for reading the whole thing, it certainly is long. To clarify, I didn't know there was mud under the TJ (it was hardened clay actually) as I hadn't taken it offroad myself. I didn't look underneath it when I bought it, and probably should have. I couldn't get the crap off, it was in the connectors and everything. My point is I didn't have the skill, time, or patience, but I had the cash to pay someone to do it, and they couldn't / wouldn't.

As for drowning the current Jeep, my partner had depth measured the entire puddle except the entry point - it was a mistake. Rest assured, I spend huge money on my vehicle's upkeep. This was my point entirely -- no matter how much cash I wave in front of these dealerships, they still can't/won't fix the issues they are presented. My drowned Jeep had an insurance claim on it that day, and it was in the dealership the next day they were open. My service books are flawless.

As for not naming the dealerships, not weakness at all, it's calculated politeness. I am giving Dealership "C" a chance to actually fix my Jeep before I smear their name all over the forums. Don't worry - when they don't, ACCC, FCA, forums, Facebook, the press, and everyone else will hear of every incompetence in painful detail

Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to read my silly story.
No such thing as a silly story!
Some of the responses you may get may be.
Please be aware that many of my negative comments towards you were sarcastic.
A well designed air induction system should not be able to be drowned that easy!
Dirt on the underside should be expected on a 4WD! Polished floors was the hint!
I have had interaction with a few dealers. I have found the better ones are far from Melbourne. The dealer in Horsham was helpful without being likely to make money.
I have found recalls are a joke.
Good luck with your current issues.
Old 12-09-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,323 Posts

I have always said find a mechanic who you like and trust, they will normally do a more complete job and it doesn't harm a warranty, properly serviced may never need a claim, always seems like warranty problems occur with dealer servicing, quality parts need not be overpriced Mopar either, their fuel filters are Chinese anyway...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 21-09-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

One of the lead stories on the News website this evening is about a family facing uneconomical repairs on a GC. The comments after the story show many other people disgruntled with FCA and the Jeep brand due to their own appalling experiences. Are the problems plaguing Jeep specific to diesel powertrains or is it also the V6 Pentastar or V8 Hemis? I am not doubting these stories, but I am (fortunately) finding it difficult to relate to them.

Is it Jeep bashing?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...f536e9e115d994

Last edited by eksjay; 21-09-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply