J20: FSJ Spring Over Front End - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-03-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Check out my Ride(s)
Default J20: FSJ Spring Over Front End

I've had a few suspensions under the front of my J20, and I'd like to announce I've finally hit it right. A lot of research reading American sites revealed a many different ways to perform a Spring Over. Here's a simple, effective way:
F100 Coil Spring Solid Dana 44 Axle.('74 to '79)
Flat top Knuckles from the States (Need to be Chevy or Jeep) Buy them milled, tapped, with studs installed.
Hi Steer Arms
2 1/2" Drop Pitman Arm.

The F100 Dana 44 is a High Pinion, and the Pumpkin is sufficiently inboard that the leaf springs will sit on the axle tube, not on the Pumpkin. Every other Dana 44 I've found has the spring pad cast into the Pumpkin. Rather difficult to perform a SOA.

So, torch off the "Ears" off the Dana 44 the Leading Arms clamp around. weld on a couple of spring pads.

Remove the knuckles, and outer axles. Install the flat top knuckles, Jeep Stubs, Brakes and Hubs, and outer axles. Always use whatever outer axles came with the stubs.

Install under a pair of FSJ Cherokee front Springs. The ride of a Cherokee, with a considerable amount of lift.

I shortened a Cherokee Tie Rod for the Tie rod between the wheels, by cutting off the Left Hand TRE, and threading the end of the Tie Rod, as the Hi Steer arms need a shorter Tie rod. Then simply use another adjuster sleeve, and Tie Rod End on the LHS.

I rotated the standard shocky mount on the chassis for the best angle, and mounted the bottom of the shockies to the Sway Bar mounting bolt on the Spring Plate. (Sway Bars are over rated on a Wide Track FSJ.

Of course, If you've got a narrow track Cherokee, you'll have to work out how to narrow down a Wide track F100 Dana44. But I'm lucky, I play with Wide Track Trucks.

Last edited by neilharv; 28-03-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 28-03-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 94 Times in 69 Posts

Nice work and it looks the goods. I've always wanted a J20 and that looks awesome

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference
Old 29-03-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 220 Times in 136 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks awesome. I'd love a J10/J20 styleside one day.

Is that wheel on the pto drive to wind the winch by hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-03-2015
Just Real Jeeps Club

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Looks good, nice work, are you going to put a tramp rod on it to stop or something else to stop the springs being turned inside out by axle torque & destroying your front yoke & drive shaft front uni, should only be an issue off road if you drive it hard

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 29-03-2015
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
Looks good, nice work, are you going to put a tramp rod on it to stop or something else to stop the springs being turned inside out by axle torque & destroying your front yoke & drive shaft front uni, should only be an issue off road if you drive it hard
Haha, hey Campbell not everyone drives at full noise bouncing all over the track.

The wheelbase of the J20 works good off road especially with those huge long front springs.

BIGGER IS ONLY BIGGER
the nut's behind the wheel make all the difference
Old 29-03-2015
Just Real Jeeps Club

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ View Post
Haha, hey Campbell not everyone drives at full noise bouncing all over the track.

The wheelbase of the J20 works good off road especially with those huge long front springs.
Sometimes you just have to, them boom .....Lol
My reverse shackles probably dont help ether

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 29-03-2015
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
Sometimes you just have to, them boom .....Lol
My reverse shackles probably dont help ether