..new to wheeling... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ..new to wheeling...

Hi All, soon to be MY13 JKU owner here and new to wheeling in general. Great community you guys have here and real good information on the forum too. Looking forward to our (SO, NB and I) first outing offroad!
Old 10-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Welcome! a mountain of info here...

btw where are you from?
Old 10-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
Hi All, soon to be MY13 JKU owner here and new to wheeling in general. Great community you guys have here and real good information on the forum too. Looking forward to our (SO, NB and I) first outing offroad!
Welcome malJohan. I'm sure you'll love the JKU. And good job on finding AJOR - best place for everything you want to know about jeeps, for meeting new jeep-y friends, and ensuring your wallet will be nice and slim forevermore thanks to all the mods you'll be tempted by
Old 10-05-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
btw where are you from?
Originally South-Africa, currently south-west Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
..and ensuring your wallet will be nice and slim forevermore thanks to all the mods you'll be tempted by
Yeah, I bet! Actually tempted to just go straight Rubi and skip the mods for a while, but not many of them standing around on showroom floors waiting for a buyer, so I'll maybe just get a Sport and (not) be done with it.

Any advice on what extra's I'll need fitted and otherwise before I take on a trail? I'll take it easy to start off with, with wife and newborn on board, but still, I don't want us to get stuck in a hole somewhere.
Old 10-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malJohann View Post
Yeah, I bet! Actually tempted to just go straight Rubi and skip the mods for a while, but not many of them standing around on showroom floors waiting for a buyer, so I'll maybe just get a Sport and (not) be done with it.

Any advice on what extra's I'll need fitted and otherwise before I take on a trail? I'll take it easy to start off with, with wife and newborn on board, but still, I don't want us to get stuck in a hole somewhere.
I've had my JKU Sport stock for over a year and a half. Only now getting round to doing proper mods to it. I've not come across anything that has gotten me irretrievably stuck (well, once, but that was my own stupidity and AJOR friends were around to help me out), and while I've not done anything insanely extreme, I think some the tracks around GH I went on when I had about 500km on the clock from new could be considered pretty tough!

To be honest - I'd be nervy about taking a newborn offroad. I have only just started taking my four year old, and he still gets bounced around a lot, even on the easy stuff.

Also, usual sensible advice is don't go alone, don't go without recovery gear (and the knowledge how to use it), take a UHF radio, tell people where you're going and when you expect to be back.

See if AJOR members in your area are having a day on the tracks. Best way of getting to know your JK and its capabilities, and probably the safest way too.
Old 10-05-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I've had my JKU Sport stock for over a year and a half. Only now getting round to doing proper mods to it. I've not come across anything that has gotten me irretrievably stuck...
This is good news! I suppose I should have thought of this, it is a Jeep Wrangler after all.

Quote:
To be honest - I'd be nervy about taking a newborn offroad. I have only just started taking my four year old, and he still gets bounced around a lot, even on the easy stuff.
Raison'd'etre for our JKU is to go camping where an SUV can't take us, so we'll be getting out from the first month of ownership.

Quote:
Also, usual sensible advice is don't go alone, don't go without recovery gear (and the knowledge how to use it), take a UHF radio, tell people where you're going and when you expect to be back.
What constitutes recovery gear? Which UHF radio? Links to products would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
See if AJOR members in your area are having a day on the tracks. Best way of getting to know your JK and its capabilities, and probably the safest way too.
Cool idea, this way we meet like minded people too! (y)
Old 04-06-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyway, so my wife strong-armed me into buying a KK first, saying I'm then free to buy what I want and mod it how I want, later on.

Taking delivery this arvo of a silver, low km 2011 Limited luxo barge (by my standards, its the most luxurious car we've had LOL).

Is this as capable as say a Land Rover Disco 3? Just asking since I'm a noob, because we still want to go camping before I get my JKU.

Any recommended mods to it before we go out? Any recommended places in (west) VIC to make a daytrip to this weekend?
Post New Thread  Reply