Wh 2010 diesel 73600.klm excessive blowby. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-12-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts
Default Wh 2010 diesel 73600.klm excessive blowby.?

2010 WH Grand Cherokee 3 litre diesel.Fitted Provent at 69800 checked today lot of oil in Provent filter .Ran motor without top on Provent, quite a lot of fumes comming out .Anybody taken the top off Provent and run the motor?,how much blowby do these motors emit,how much oil have people drained out of their Provent>Took intercooler off and cleaned it ,had about 250mill oil in the bottom,after 3 years.

Last edited by bjm; 27-12-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 27-12-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Any internal combustion engine will have blow-by, not sure what you call excessive but there will always be a constant flow of fume emitted from the crankcase. The higher the compression(e.g. diesels) the more blow-by as the rings will not stop 100%.
Old 27-12-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

A Commander with the same issue?
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=127440&page=3
Old 27-12-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

Thanks Clarky for your ref,
Also went back to posts in Aug and found plenty of info.I dont think the filter was seated in canister properly so will keep an eye on it.Also Jeep dealer changed my oil back to !0w30(had Penrite 10w 40, Penrite said 10w 30 too thin for Aussie esp summer and towing)wouldnt tell me which brand!!Its obvious that the Provent catches quite alot of oil blowby so will measure the amount after a months running.
Old 27-12-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Had my Provent fitted for about 5 months now. At first, it was collecting a bit of oil, however it has slowed heaps now.
Check it about every 2 weeks and only get a trickle out of it.
Motor has done 183K.

Cheers, Craig
Old 27-12-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

On my 07 3.0 CRD OM642 engine it always used oil and filled the provent catch tank

I was using amsoil 5W40 European oil was also using quite a bit of oil

Engine now has 290,000 k,s at 275,000 k,s I started using 15W40 mineral oil from PM oilshttp://www.pmlubricants.com.au/shop/item/pm4125

It does not use a drop now engine is quieter feels stronger

I have had the previous oil Change analysed at 20,000k which is where I have the oil change indicator set at oil change interval has been recommended could be left longer

I am happy with 20,000 intervals I do do a lot of highway use though and have a provent green tune K,N filter and 3 inch exhaust no off-roading some towing

I was actually put onto PM oils by a fellow GC forum member very happy with it
Old 28-12-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Engine now has 290,000 k,s at 275,000 k,s I started using 15W40 mineral oil from PM oilshttp://www.pmlubricants.com.au/shop/item/pm4125
I use this oil in my WG and my father runs it in his Captiva and 4.2 F-250. We can't see a reason to change as the price is very competitive when you campare it to Penrite, Nulon et al products.

I also use their diff oil and gearbox oil in my transfer case, so far happy with the results.

I've been using this test kit and even at 15,000km it was reporting all was good with the oil.

http://www.enginecheckup.com
Post New Thread  Reply