TJ Rear drawer/cargo storage area - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default TJ Rear drawer/cargo storage area

Hi all, I have finally got enough pic's that i can post up my box. I needed some storage space and being a student dont really need the back seat (with fuel economy like the Jeep's I don't want to be a taxi!!) but unfortunatly I also have a student budget, this means no $1300 set of drawers. Instead I can make some for about $300 tops. Please comment or advise this is just how im going about it at the moment.

I did the design work in "Google Sketch" with alot of ease.:

Here is one of the 2 complete drawers:

Now the main box, this was just before i installed the mid floor which goes on top of the drawer divider:

On the forward end of the box I have a smaller full depth box for things I want access to from the drivers seat:

I will be buying all the hardware for it tonight hopefully:
  • Gas struts for the lids
  • T-Handle locks for the drawers
  • 45Kg rated drawer runners
  • Compression locks for the lids
Old 05-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great design. I think that will work well. No fridge to worry about??
You may want to up the drawer slides a bit 40 kg may not cut it. You will end up putting more sh''t in there than you can believe. maybe 80kg.
Old 07-08-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks, I spent long enough planning it with dad. ATM i dont have a fridge but if and when i do get one i will just secure it on top cause i will have tiedowns in teh lid. unfortunatly then i have to remove the fridge to get into the top compartment but thats just where packing smart comes in. The 45Kg sliders are purely on a cost basis for now and they are only being secured into 12mm marine ply. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-08-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate i have done something similar to you...

Only difference is mine had a secure place to hold a dual battery system and space to neatly wire in fuse box's and relays, which is very handy a looks great! keep in mind no room under the TJ bonnet for a decent dual batts system really and you'll want that when your fridge comes along.

OH and i also was planning on using drawers but i found i didnt need to as the cargo door secures the items inside the system anyway and you do lose a small amount of space with the drawer system.

But your design looks GREAT and i'm looking forward to the outcome!
Old 08-08-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like this mate, looks clean!

how are you securing it to the tub? gonna bolt to the seat latch points?
Old 09-08-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks,
I really like that idea for the dual battery system. I have a little space down the sides of the box which I will be covering/boxing in. I could also sacrifice some of the front storage compartments space for a battery but that is all stuff to come when the need arises.
Yea I will be using the seat belt point at the rear and the seat latch points for the front. I wanted to leave the seat mount points in place so I can put the rear seat back in if necessary and to keep my parents happy.
Old 09-08-2012
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts

Very neat so far.

If you are worried about the cost, then perhaps just setup one drawer for the heavier stuff?