Engine Oil Capacity....'11-'13 3.0lt CRD WK2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-01-2024
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,283 Times in 739 Posts
Thumbs up Engine Oil Capacity....'11-'13 3.0lt CRD WK2

So I dont lose it again....
I rang All Grand Cherokee to get the correct Guru version of the Engine Oil Capacity at Service Time when performing an Oil and Filter change.
Official Capacity is 7.7lts.
This is what the Guru Workshop uses for its everyday servicing of early model '11-'13s....or pre-8spd trans models.
Good enough for the Guru certainly is better than good enough for me/us.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 31-01-2024
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,898 Times in 2,306 Posts

I have written details of filters, oil/coolant capacity including socket sizes and oil grades, tranny/diff/eng/ etc on the panel in front of the radiator, easy to remember and saves me looking for some book ......

Even though I know I still pour in 7lts then fire up engine to sort filter out, shut down then dribble in the last bit as I dip the wick..... then go for run and let sit for 20mins then dip again.. seems to work............

The 11-13 WSM says 8.4lts while the 14-17 says 7.7 lts............... so someone in between for sure...lol,lol.............

PS" forgot to ring you back, have a genny in bits so not sociable at times sweat and spanners don't make me friendly...... lol,lol,lol...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 31-01-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 31-01-2024
Rock Munki

So the Glovebox manual in my 2012 biult 2013 model states 9 US Quarts 8.4 metric litres.
Irony there is our Diesel engine wasnt even present in the US until the following year....and even then as drover has stated the engines in ours arent eco-diesels....sooooo....that takes the reo out of that bit of concrete evidence.

Guru stated 7.7lts....which contradicts the Glovebox claim.....difference of 700ml.
May just spend some more time on the phone with the Guru and get him to walk me through this one.....there may be a reason behind his point blank answer of 7.7lt....answers a pineapple right now.

Hard to say why the capacity was lowered after the 5spd was updated to an 8spd...the hose from hell was introduced to supply coolant to the turbo...HP and Torque were uprated....simple thing with the electronic marvels these things are...hmmmm ....and I was sure I had a handle on this....nope !

Last edited by FARWEST; 31-01-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,898 Times in 2,306 Posts

Nah I wouldn't ring him back just see what level makes the dipper happy ............... I read about why the level changed but forget now....... not the first vehicle I have had that the oil capacity didn't line up with the book specs.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 01-02-2024
Rock Munki

Another li'l 'tit bit' of outlandish (no pun intended) info I 'trolled' across' was on a South African forum where the owner stated his 2011 biult MY12 CRD Grand Cherokee WK2 Factory Biuld Sheet stated his car had the EGR Delete ticked as a Factory option....wtf ?....off track...but weird arse shit.

Old 01-02-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,120 Times in 595 Posts

You have to wonder why there would be a variance in stated oil capacity between 11 - 13 models, then from 14 on...
The sumps didn't appear to change at all...maybe they just changed the dipstick to read differently?
Would be an interesting exercise to lay the dipstick from a 5 speed model and an 8 speed model side by side...would they be the same of would the full and add marks be slightly different?
Old 01-02-2024
Full Flexer

Liked 654 Times in 373 Posts

I believe there was some speculation that the change of capacity (and dipstick, I assume) was to essentially give more head room for increased volume in the sump as a result of dilution due to the DPF. I think some people were running into issues, but could be off the mark

Post New Thread  Reply