Hypertech Programmer Feedback - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-10-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Any updates on this tuner for the speedo and diff ratio adjustments? Did you try the diff ratio change or just the speedo one? Wondering if both are still not available?
I haven't updated it since the tune was uploaded. I figured I don't want to mess with something that is working fine already.

So no I don't know if Hypertech have changed their stance on offering the speedo adjustment to cater for changes in tyre size, but going by what they said to me previously, that they pulled that option from the tuner for KK's due to safety etc (alters the way TC and ESP work etc), I doubt that they would have gone back on that and start offering that ability again.

It's a real shame cos that was one of the main reasons for me to get the tuner in the first place. But anyhow, I only ended up putting slightly bigger tyres on my wife's KK so it didn't really mess with the speedo too much at all.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 15-10-2018
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo07 View Post
I haven't updated it since the tune was uploaded. I figured I don't want to mess with something that is working fine already.

So no I don't know if Hypertech have changed their stance on offering the speedo adjustment to cater for changes in tyre size, but going by what they said to me previously, that they pulled that option from the tuner for KK's due to safety etc (alters the way TC and ESP work etc), I doubt that they would have gone back on that and start offering that ability again.

It's a real shame cos that was one of the main reasons for me to get the tuner in the first place. But anyhow, I only ended up putting slightly bigger tyres on my wife's KK so it didn't really mess with the speedo too much at all.
I emailed them and they have not changed the option now either. It was a conflict between the ECU and ABS computers. They only alter the ECU which then caused the ABS computer to be upset if it was outside the biggest tyre offered from the factory.
From research I found dealers in the US would enter the tyre size from the 20" from the Jet edition, 245/50R20, to get you a 29.65" tall tyre, which is still better than the 29" for all the other stock tyres. That is the best you can get and was enough for those under 31" to get the auto to shift better and stop the ESP and ABS being too sensitive.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 29-01-2019
LokRinger

Quote:
Hi all,

Thought I'd share some feedback on the Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer part number 52501 for our v6 KK's.

http://www.hypertech.com/products-max-energy.aspx

THE INSTALL

Purchased via eBay.

First thing I did was see if there were any updates for the programmer itself, followed the instructions to do so. The CD they provide with the drivers etc didn’t work as I have Windows 10 on my PC, so I called Hypertech and a very helpful person talked me through the process of downloading the driver and software for Windows 10 from their website and talked me through updating my programmer.

Then I plugged it into the OBD2 port on my KK and began the process, it copied the "CAL" from my KK's ECU and then said it did not recognise the CAL. The message then said to update my programmer (again).

So I did, but then the software on my PC told me that there were no updates for the CAL that my programmer had just downloaded from my KK’s ECU…

I think maybe Hypertech had not done an update for our Australian ECU’s yet.

Anyway, the very NEXT day I get an email from Hypertech saying that there is an update avail for my programmer, I was very happy .

Plugged my programmer into my PC and it updated just fine.

Plugged my programmer into my KK and it uploaded its new CAL onto my KK’s ECU just fine. I left all the adjustable parameters in stock form, apart from selecting that I run premium fuel.

AFTER THE INSTALL

Took my KK for a drive and it definitely feels more responsive, the auto trans shifts are firmer.

I am very happy with the way it drives, I would say the programmer is worth its money just for the crisp response you get.

Fuel economy has also improved approx 1-1.5 Liters per 100km now that the accelerator pedal does not need to be pressed as much to drive it the same as before. But it does feel a lot sportier and more fun to drive if you want to, and if you did then there probably wouldn’t be any improvement in fuel economy.

I hooked up my Bluetooth OBD2 transmitter and my torque app on my phone and checked that everything was ok, which it was.

I also did 0-100kmh performance tests before and after the programmer:
Before = 11.6 secs
After = 10.3 secs

I thought that was a good improvement and quantified my feelings from above.

My KK is a 2009 Limited, 100% completely stock, with 161,000kms. The above test was with the shifter in the D position and I did not stall it up on the brake, just floored the accelerator pedal on takeoff.

SOME NEGATIVES THOUGH…

Hypertech’s website states that this unit can adjust/correct the speedo for changes in tyre size or diff ratios. This was the main reason for me to purchase the programmer.

BUT they don’t offer this feature anymore. I’ve been back and forth with Hypertech over this issue and apparently they deleted this feature “due to issues that occurred”, but have yet to update their website to remove this advertised feature…

I am very disappointed as I just bought this KK with the intention to lift it and fit larger tyres for offroading and was happy to do so given that this programmer would return the speedo, odometer, trip computer, and ESP/TC/ABS back to stock.

Anyway hope this helps anyone considering buying one
I'm about to install my tune and just wondered if you pulled fuses for the radio etc like some of the instructions for it suggests while uploading the new tune?

My web site:
Old 04-02-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
I'm about to install my tune and just wondered if you pulled fuses for the radio etc like some of the instructions for it suggests while uploading the new tune?
No I didn't do any of that.

Keen to hear your results.
Old 04-02-2019
LokRinger

Quote:
No I didn't do any of that.

Keen to hear your results.
I just turned everything off and didn't pull any fuses. I was glad I had it on a battery charger to get full charge before I started, and then disconnected as instructed during the install, as it drained my battery completely never to recover again! Even in recondition mode on a bigger charger could not get it to recover for more than one start!
So had to get a new one, but at least the old one was the original one from 2010 and maybe on its last legs.

On driving it I could not tell the difference to be honest but only put in the regular tune in for our 91 octane as I don't run premium. Yet I got a very noticeable difference when I did the new exhaust system I built even with stock cats. Hopefully it gives me at least better economy.

My web site:
Old 11-02-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
I just turned everything off and didn't pull any fuses. I was glad I had it on a battery charger to get full charge before I started, and then disconnected as instructed during the install, as it drained my battery completely never to recover again! Even in recondition mode on a bigger charger could not get it to recover for more than one start!
So had to get a new one, but at least the old one was the original one from 2010 and maybe on its last legs.
Woah, def sounds like your batt was on its last legs.

Quote:
On driving it I could not tell the difference to be honest but only put in the regular tune in for our 91 octane as I don't run premium. Yet I got a very noticeable difference when I did the new exhaust system I built even with stock cats. Hopefully it gives me at least better economy.
I guess the main difference in tuning must be related to the different fuel types. We always use 98 so it was my obvious choice to run the highest octane tune it had.

I am weary of the placebo affect on doing mods, so hence why I did 0-100kmh tests.

Glad to hear about your exhaust. Ours is actually crushed and bent in the centre, I have no idea how as there is no other damage on (or under) the vehicle at all. But this makes me wonder how much better it would drive with a new exhaust.

On the Hypertech I also set the elec cooling fan to come on at a lower coolant temp and its great, in these hot days the coolant temps is always below 100 degrees.

Last edited by Turismo07; 13-02-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2019
LokRinger

I had only done a short trip when I last comment and today I noticed it has picked up some more. Maybe it is still adapting to the Jeep with my mods.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply