JK - AEV 3.5" lift - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep Installation and How To's
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2010
JEEPOHOLIC

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can install it urself if you have few spanners its not hard.
Old 04-07-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not know which version of the AEV kit you have, but the current LHD kit is not the original AEV-it is the now-defunct Nth Degree kit-which was actually designed by a few ex-Jeep guys, using the original CATIA information for the original truck.

Being designed with the original data, the Nth Degree kit is the best fitting kit-bar none- in the world. This kit is the ONLY kit that has minimized the panhard rod/ steering linkage issues of the original over-constrained 5 link suspension. NOT eliminated (that is simply not possible) but MINIMIZED.

Last edited by Bob_Sheaves; 04-07-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Whatever coils you want, teamed with adjustable shocks. There is no other way to get a ride which can be fine tuned to suit whatever you're doing (which is the problem, there's no one setup which is perfect for everything, only compromises).
G'day Yom, yeah I like how it handles and it is right for me, it achieves what I want it to do. The purpose of my post was to give my experience with the lift and a couple of insights that I found, of course these are all laced with my opinion.

I do agree that all designs are compromises and you the consumer will have to decide where that compromise will be. I have to disagree with you on the point of simply picking a set of shocks and then masking a potential problem by using adjustable shocks (well dampers really). The roll of the spring it to absorb the shock, where it will start to oscillate. The role of the shock is to damp that oscillation. I know there is a cadre of people out there who don't believe this but I can bet you left nut that none of them are mechanical Engineers. AEV have put out a piece on this http://www.aev-conversions.com/12thi...lve_things.pdf it's good reading to get an understanding of what I'm talking about. Points 3 and 4 specifically, a lot of the rest is fluff apart from the roll centre arguement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litestorm View Post
thanks for the write up, i'm researching that same kit for my JK
just need someone in Melbourne down south who can install it
with some 35" tires to match

m
No worries as I've said if I can help with someone decision then this has done what I intended, and as JK07 has said you can do it yourself unless you are time poor. The instructions give an install time of 12 hours for the DIY crowd and that is fairly accurate. The instructions are clear and although some of the pictures are difficult to make out the details, you can look at the instructions here http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/i...structions.pdf. This is not a lift that is beyond the ability of anyone who can, do their own oil change or change a wheel. You bolt everything together and there are a four holes to drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sheaves View Post
I do not know which version of the AEV kit you have, but the current LHD kit is not the original AEV-it is the now-defunct Nth Degree kit-which was actually designed by a few ex-Jeep guys, using the original CATIA information for the original truck.

Being designed with the original data, the Nth Degree kit is the best fitting kit-bar none- in the world. This kit is the ONLY kit that has minimized the panhard rod/ steering linkage issues of the original over-constrained 5 link suspension. NOT eliminated (that is simply not possible) but MINIMIZED.
Bob I agree with you regarding the minimisation of the problems with the steering set up and yes the RHD version is based on the Nth kit, the designer/ former owner of Nth now works for AEV I believe. The newer addition of the drop brackets for the front end has removed the need for replacement control arms and Cam bolts. Allowing the suspension to respond more as it was originally designed up through the spring when soaking up a jolt rather than transmitting the force through the trailing arms and the body. Drop brackets are nothing new though, Rancho had them a while ago.
Old 04-07-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post

I do agree that all designs are compromises and you the consumer will have to decide where that compromise will be. I have to disagree with you on the point of simply picking a set of shocks and then masking a potential problem by using adjustable shocks (well dampers really). The roll of the spring it to absorb the shock, where it will start to oscillate. The role of the shock is to damp that oscillation. I know there is a cadre of people out there who don't believe this but I can bet you left nut that none of them are mechanical Engineers. AEV have put out a piece on this http://www.aev-conversions.com/12thi...lve_things.pdf it's good reading to get an understanding of what I'm talking about. Points 3 and 4 specifically, a lot of the rest is fluff apart from the roll centre arguement.
I agree that adjustable shocks are essentially a well advertised gimmick but unfortunately unless you want to swap springs and shocks according to the load you may have at any one time they're possibly the closest thing to getting what an individual wants out of the suspension (and its not just the after market which has had them, quite a few factory released vehicles have had adjustable dampers too).

But, this is just my opinion lol. Personally unless I was buying something like Fox shocks I wouldn't be paying extra to get them.
Old 05-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I might have missed it but what's the kit worth? Is there a CRD kit and a petrol kit?
Old 05-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No you didn't miss it I didn't include the price because it is readily available on the net. There is no difference in price between the 3.5" and 4.5" kits $2495.00 but there is an extra $620 charge for an Auto as this includes a new front drive shaft.

There is only the one spring rate as the kit is designed primarily for the Hemi conversion crowd, which is in between the petrol and the diesel donks as far as weight goes.

The more I've driven on this the more I like it, which justifies the price in my mind.
Old 05-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's certainly a lot more to it than simply springs and shocks (and a panhard relocation bracket ).

I didn't notice the drive shaft in your pile of bits the other day.
Post New Thread  Reply