FP relay fail... - Page 39 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2023
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Well...I jinxed myself on another thread and had the dreaded start, run for a few seconds, and stop this morning...gave it 2 GOOD prime cycles ( ignition to run mode no foot on brake) and it went all day with no drama....currently doing lots of stop starts (not traffic....as in short trips n lots of em) so its getting a workout....BUT.....having had this beast for a couple of years now I KNOW whats goin on.....new relay to be fitted soon....that should put a 'smug smirk' of 'thank god' on your face Southerncomfort...lol....enjoy the effortless starts of your Euro machine mate.
No smug smirk mate, but confess I don't miss the those relay shenanigans. Just keep plenty of newies in supply

As for the Euro, effortless starts yes, but it has the stop/start 'feature'. Can turn it off although it defaults to on again after being parked. BUT, I recently worked out that it only stops when pressing firmly on the brake while idling, whereas a light press on the pedal keeps the motor running which is handy in traffic.

Wondering if anyone with a later model stop/start GC has tried that??
Old 19-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
Wondering if anyone with a later model stop/start GC has tried that??
Every start/stop vehicle I've driven has been like this as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Makes things a bit better, but I still make a habit of turning it off first thing I do after I start the vehicle.

For the Skoda, if you want to permanently disable it, you can grab a wiring harness that intercepts the signal. Instructions are in the video below (in Hungarian though, but the visuals are simple to follow), as is a link to the harness in the comments. I believe you may also be able to do it using an OBD reader and the VAG/Skoda equivalent of JScan, AlfaOBD, etc.

Last edited by LeCheese; 19-05-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 19-05-2023
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks LeCheese. The earlier VWGolf we had with stop/start didn't vary according to brake pedal pressure, the engine just stopped, so this 'method' was a revelation to me!

The vid is of the Series III Octavia whereas mine is the current Series IV which has radically different electronics, a totally different car actually. I've read of a work around using an OBD reader on the Skoda forum but haven't bothered since the pedal pressure thing is working fine for me just now. Maybe one day I'll get hold of a compatible reader and play around, so many things still to learn about this car!
Old 19-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Relay swap out has been pushed forward....got a gig with a 1200klm round trip next week....time to treat Gina to some quality time before I 'drive her like she's stolen'

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 20-05-2023
Rock Munki

Relay swap done...between rain showers....I noticed the relay I removed had no 'rubber tape' around the join between the base plate and the bottom of the relay....unsure if I didnt use it last time or if it had simple 'peeled away/unravelled itself' and fell off....temp use range is -50C - +200C and 700psi (which isnt relevant here) so cant see it having failed ???...didnt see anything resembling 'used' tape in the area under the location of the Relay...but...it could have 'blown'out or fallen out of the void...maybe...as I say...unsure.....will just monitor this area and see if my 'backyard engineeering' is floored....I did seal the jiont this time.
Dipped the 'despised' engine oil....had ckecked it recently...it was definitely further up tge stick last time...maybe 5mm....but less then 1cm....so...added 250ml of Moreys to the crank case....does anybody else have a 'battle' removing and putting the Oil Fill cap on...its a bit 'finnicky' on mine....just wondering if Im holding my tongue right...I always line up the 'slots' and screw it on so the 'information' symbol is at tge front and the 'oil can symbol' is at the back but, it just not 'easy screw off screw on'....anybody else have this ????......then went for a 30klm run to 'mix it in'....engine is quieter...of cause.
Header tank unchanged and Power Steering and Brake Fluids at MAX....belts in good knick...no leaks seeps or wet spots....temps spot on during test run......Right to GO !
Ignition and BLAST OFF !

Last edited by FARWEST; 20-05-2023 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Fact check
Old 21-05-2023
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

....does anybody else have a 'battle' removing and putting the Oil Fill cap on...

Yep, always found the thing a PITA, and so is the angle of it!
Old 21-05-2023
Rock Munki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
....does anybody else have a 'battle' removing and putting the Oil Fill cap on...

Yep, always found the thing a PITA, and so is the angle of it!
Thanks mate....was starting to think there was either something wrong with me or the filler point had been altered in some way

Post New Thread  Reply