Rough idle, no power - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Rough idle, no power

Greetings Jeepers,
Did not want my first post to be a question but I am desperate!
2004, 2.8 CRD auto with 230kms
Have been reading some recent posts as I need to do a timing belt and decided to carry out and check a few items relating to turbo pressure and sensors.
So, realising I had never changed the fuel filter since owning the vehicle (purchased at 170kms, sorry - no comments required thanks)
So, vehicle was running Ok, but needed a service, and heavy on fuel 10.7-11.2/100km
1. Changed filter (primed with ) Used the primer pump etc,
2. Cleaned Boost Control Sensor as described in Wilmos thread
3. Cleaned another sensor (??on opposite side rocker cover ? oil temp)
4. Replaced air filter
5. Checked filter to turbo intake hose - all good, no cracks
6. Inter cooler hoses checked and clamps re tightened
7. Checked and cleaned crank case vent hose (runs into intake)

Road test - nice smooth, in fact better idling!
second outing...went out fine but on return up a slight hill noticed a distinct lack of power and excessive exhaust.
next day off to work down the highway and lots of black/gray exhaust, no power and what sounded like "pinging". limped home.
No fuel leaks, everything tight but rough intermittent idle/miss and sooty exhaust. Unable to pull the skin off a rice custard!
Today, re primed and re checked MAP sensor and air filter connections but again same symptoms.
Any ideas??
P.s. EGR has seized some time ago!! and vacuum hose is blanked off(bought it this way)
Cheers Bruce
Old 01-01-2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought I would add...
Liqui Moly Diesel Purge was used in the new filter and it did run very smooth for 20mins + road test!

Now its rough...Starts fine and idles smooth for about 3 secs then rough. I can rev it up to 2000rpm, albeit slowly, and it just holds but very noisy and not smooth. Bring it back to 750rpm and is smooth for about 3 seconds then feels like an earth quake again!! Surges like the governor on my 3cyl tractor!!

Fuel pressure?? air in system beyond filter? How do you get that out if cracking injector lines is not recommended??

Might replace the fuel filter tomorrow...about the only thing not re done.

Any thought appreciated
Cheers
Bruce
Old 01-01-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Bruce, it would be good to see if any codes come up, as this will give you a starting point if codes come up.
And i would have thought your fuel economy figures would be fair, as ours is that in summer but can get into 13's during winter here in Tas.
Old 01-01-2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Black XJ,
Yes, fuel economy seems to be an interesting topic with these CRD's
Will get into some codes first thing in the morning
My guess is I've missed a process in the priming of the filter.
Codes first!
Old 02-01-2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, no power

Ok, retrieved some codes...

P0579 - Speed control switch 1 Performance
P1685 - ??
Codes are from the KJ forum

Cleared codes(maybe) by disconnecting battery. Waited 30mins
Started, No rough idle but a bit cranky. Warmed her up.
Road test - NO POWER, LOTS smoke. Quick spin around the block and Mrs Jones washing will have to be re-done. Limped home up a short 5-10 deg incline at 20kms/hr lots of black/grayish exhaust, knocking/pinging.

Back to the drawing board!

Anyone know what a P1685 code might relate too?

Cheers Bruce
Old 02-01-2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry... Code P0579 (Speed Control Switch 1 Performance) came from the JK Code list not the KJ Code list!
Old 02-01-2016
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

P1685 - SKIM key invalid.
There is a thread on the LOST forum with those codes showing up but no resolution.
Possible electrical system issue as those codes are so random.
They could havebeen in therea long time and unrelated unless they were cleared befored the problem.
I'd suggest bleeding the air out of the fuel head and making sure the bleed valve and hose clamps are tight. I assume you know how to prime and bleed the fuel head, if not see the service manual.
Then come back. It might be agood idea to check what new codes have appeared.

BTW when you disconnected the power the system looses some information and the transmission may go to relearn mode. This is described in the service manual. There is a reteach proceedure or you can just drive gently for the next day while it works out shifting vacuum settings itself - don't go fanging around.
Pingng is never a good sound to hear. Your problem maybe related to crank or cam sensors going, but hard ti say without more info.

Last edited by glend; 02-01-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply