Mopar radiator models, LHD/RHD and bracketing removal? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Mopar radiator models, LHD/RHD and bracketing removal?

Hello,

I'm Considering replacing my radiator due to a crack in the upper plastic tank I've had to repair with epoxy. I've had the radiator replaced once and the current model is P/N 55037654AA, which has the fittings for an oil cooler at the bottom for automatic transmissions. I have a manual transmission.

I've checked Mopars records and the correct part for a manual 4.0l straight 6 engine is P/N 55037652AA, which doesn't have the fittings for the oil cooler.

Am I correct in assuming that the brackets on either side of OEM radiators are just being held on by two screws at the top and two screws at the bottom on each side? So I could use a LHD radiator for a RHD Jeep and just reuse my old bracketing?

I don't want to use an aftermarket radiator or an all aluminium radiator.

Last edited by Eruntalon; 12-06-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2020
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Correct. It's only the brackets that differ so the rad clears the steering.

Regarding aftermarket rads: can you get Nissens brand over there? Though not for Jeep, Nissens are OEM for many manufacturers, so very good quality. I've had one of their rads on my TJ for nine years now.

They are very similar except the mounts are held on with one larger fastener at each corner rather that the two small ones as on the Mopar.
Old 13-06-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

I have a radiator you can have it holds water the top and bottom tanks are good but there is rot in the core fins from insects.
I drove it over 6hrs on a trip with no problems. Freight from Tamworth NSW to you may be the only catch unless you can arrange another option.
Old 13-06-2020
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Bit of an update: so my epoxy repair of the crack is solid, but now I have coolant seeping out from the where the plastic tank mates with the metal at the top. So it's definitely time for a new radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
...Regarding aftermarket rads: can you get Nissens brand over there? Though not for Jeep, Nissens are OEM for many manufacturers, so very good quality. I've had one of their rads on my TJ for nine years now.
They are very similar except the mounts are held on with one larger fastener at each corner rather that the two small ones as on the Mopar.
Thanks I'll investigate Nissens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy2001 View Post
I have a radiator you can have it holds water the top and bottom tanks are good but there is rot in the core fins from insects.
I drove it over 6hrs on a trip with no problems. Freight from Tamworth NSW to you may be the only catch unless you can arrange another option.
Thanks for the offer but I'd prefer to just get something new.
Old 14-06-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

try this https://radiatordirect.com.au/JEE519...model=WRANGLER

supposedly a Nissens rad.

and it doesnt matter if it has the ports for an auto when used in a manual

when I replaced my OEM radiator many years ago it had the ports for an auto cooling lines in the original unit, even though mines a manual, as well as the new unit I bought. and as Jonny Jeep mentioned, you can re-use the old brackets by swapping them from the old to new, which is what I had to do

when you say you don't want an aluminium radiator I presume you are ok with plastic header tanks and al core? which as you would know are what the original Jeep radiators are

below is a photo of the original dissected radiator out of my Jeep showing the auto heat exchanger in the bottom header tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator 0014.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	78977  

Last edited by bonza; 14-06-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 14-06-2020
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
try this https://radiatordirect.com.au/JEE519...model=WRANGLER

supposedly a Nissens rad.

...when you say you don't want an aluminium radiator I presume you are ok with plastic header tanks and al core? which as you would know are what the original Jeep radiators are...
Thanks!

Yes I said I didn't want an 'all aluminium' radiator.
Old 08-07-2020
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy2001 View Post
Hey mate, is this an OEM radiator and does it have removable brackets? I purchased a Mopar radiator but it's got LHD brackets. If you still have the old radiator could I buy the brackets off you and get them shipped to Newcastle?
Post New Thread  Reply