My Rear Bar for XJ - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tyre

You can see on the last lot of photos the size difference between the bolts that go underneath.

Also, I made a mock up for the wheel out of cardboard. Not too sure where to locate it - Any ideas anyone? I don't want to obscure any lights ( I believe ther is some legality on this with seeing lights from angles??)

Well that's me up to today. Hope I will have some time tomorrow. I have bent up the end caps, so need to tack them on before I have to change back to standard bumber for work monday.

I only have 2 more wkends to work on this before I go away for 9 wks so don't thinks I will get it finished before this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00034.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00035.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	24791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00036.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	24792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00037.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	24793  
Old 08-03-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Looks good, I like the integrated look of the swingarm How close to the carrier does the tailgate come when you open it with the pivot so far from the end of the bar? Also any particular reason you decided to have it open into the traffic as opposed to the kerb?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-03-2008
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

very neat and tidy - looking good.

Ummmm,, is that one of those french low profile spare tyres ??
Old 08-03-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Carrier

To Steve F

I did the opening to the traffic for a couple of reasons.
1. I wanted the tyre toward the left of the vehicle for weight and vision.
2. I didn't want to have to swing it away too far ie past side of vehicle to open and clear rear door.

I plan on using a gas stut to regulate,and having it set in a bit further *( I did heaps of "testing" for this with mock-ups) means it can swing past centre but not too far or even past the side of the vehicle ( giving the user slightly more protection by being inside it). I was worried if it was done from left side it would have to swing too far out to clear!

Or maybe I just looked at too many American Sites lol.

Steve F
Your bar is gold. I got a lot of ideas from you buildup.
Old 09-03-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love the spare, how many inches is that?? 32? 33??? .....
Old 09-03-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice!!!!!! looks good mate
Old 09-03-2008
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great work dude.....