How to secure a dashcam in a JK? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 488 Times in 355 Posts
Default How to secure a dashcam in a JK?

Here's a question for you all:

How to make a dashcam reasonably secure in a JK with a softtop or no top?

In particular, if you want to use the parking function, it has to stay mounted when the car is parked, so how to reduce the chances of it being stolen?

Jeeps: Lego for grownups!
Old 13-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Can run a line through the cage and attach one with velcro etc so you can just unplug and take it with you if you'll be topless for a while. Otherwise this is a low-profile offering you may be able to sneaky hide.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rexing-V...cAAOSw88NZ70eR

For parking I like this one - compats very well with the head unit

https://www.extremeterrain.com/raxio...k-j103947.html

Last edited by relwell; 13-09-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 850 Times in 595 Posts

Apart from taking it with you which kind of defeats the purpose maybe mount behind the rear view mirror to hide it a bit.

4WD Supercentre sell a reasonably good cheapy camera which wouldn't hurt too bad if it went missing. Better that than an expensive Uniden one.
Old 13-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Apart from taking it with you which kind of defeats the purpose
I tend to favor removable accessories if it's little/no extra work. Seems like it comes in handy more often than not, even if I can't predict the circumstance!

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 13-09-2018
Irok Bandit

Looks like it will be a take it with me job then. Unless I make a cage for it that bolts in...

Already have a camera in that spot! Not as sleek as that one, but hooked up to a screen above the sPod that replaced my rearview mirror, when it was broken by the windscreen fitter...

Old 13-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 850 Times in 595 Posts

I don't know how you can run your tube doors all the time over Summer. I'm too paranoid to do that but that's what living in Sydney for 30 years does to you LOL.

I only fit them when I'm going for a fish on the beach.

I have an engine data scan unit that sits next to the driver's A pillar and I'm always worried that it would get knocked off in Maccas car park on the way home.
Old 13-09-2018
Irok Bandit

I grew up in Sydney & only moved up here ~18 years ago...

I just work on the principle of not leaving anything I can't live without in the car. Tube doors or not. If the softtop is on, you can get all the doors open in <60 seconds without damage, or leaving any signs that you did so.

Just start by unzipping a back window & work forward.

I don't bother locking the glovebox or centre console since if someone wants to get in, they will. And if it's locked, they'll just break it. Now, if I had some of those Tuffy lockboxes or centre console, that would be different!

Someone did steal a fire extinguisher once. But that was over 8 years ago, when I still had the TJ, with full doors on.

Old 13-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts

I grew up in London, in a very rough part and you wouldn't leave anything in sight, or you'd hide everything and leave the glovebox open so they didn't smash your windows.

Now after living in Sydney for 7 years I sometimes don't even lock the car for days when it's parked outside mine.

That was off-topic...

I bought a dash cam last year and still haven't fitted it! (slaps face emoji) although I want to fit it behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side, but at the moment the eTag is there and I can't be bothered to move it
Old 14-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 77 Times in 53 Posts

I fit mine in front of the rear-view mirror, running the cable up and through the windscreen surround plastic to behind the glovebox where I have made my own 12V/USB power distribution box.

A while ago, thieves got in through the soft top side window panel and took a bunch of loose things from the inside but left the dashcam, probably because the only way to see it's there is from the outside looking in through the windscreen (even then it's not clear).

I also bought a $50 Navig8r dash cam with a cheap 8Gb card so I won't be too cut if it gets stolen but I also understand that you don't want to make the temptation to break in too big.