JK Windscreen Vision - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-08-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default JK Windscreen Vision

Hi,

Just curious about the vision you get out of a wrangler?

Seems to me compare to all the toyotas/nissans, the Wranglers windscreen severely limits your peripheral vision. Looks like you looking through a bunker hole rather than a windscreen.

Do you even see the sky above you through the screen like the toyotas or does it cut the top half of what you can see out of the picture?
Old 24-08-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have always loved vehicles that gave me as much vision as possible - I was a habitual head turner in my TJ's and XJ. When I got my F150 a few years ago I had to get more used to depending on the mirrors for knowing the haps around me, so the JK was an easy switch for me when I finally got there.

I feel like the JK is better than the (few, admittedly) SUV's I have driven but with a big door jam right next to your head, you aren't seeing much behind your ears. 2 Door > 4 Door for vision, but that comes with owning a larger vehicle.
Old 24-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.man View Post
Hi,

Just curious about the vision you get out of a wrangler?

Seems to me compare to all the toyotas/nissans, the Wranglers windscreen severely limits your peripheral vision. Looks like you looking through a bunker hole rather than a windscreen.

Do you even see the sky above you through the screen like the toyotas or does it cut the top half of what you can see out of the picture?
Full vision, did seem like a bunker at first but get used to it after a while and the obstructions disappear and the engine gets smaller
Old 24-08-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I love the bunker/turret feel of the JK interior! I've always hated the fish bowl feeling of vehicles with really open and airy interiors. Each to their own

In saying that I don't find visibility too much of an issue in the JK. I do get what you mean, but it doesn't bother me, I've never thought "geez I wish that A pillar was thinner" or "I wish the roof line was higher". The only time would be maybe when I am offroading up a steep hill and approach the top and you are wondering what on the other side, I feel the JK doesn't let me see what's on the other side for a bit longer compared to prev vehicles with a more sloping bonnet. But no big deal.

But I also have a 52" light bar accross the top of my windscreen which sits flush with the top of the roofline (not above it like a lot of brackets mount them), which means it eats into the top of my windscreen a lot. Plus I have a bonnet mounted light bar as well which eats into visibility a little when looking down the bonnet.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 24-08-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

It is narrower than your average SUV or sedan but you get used to it very quickly and it isn't as bad is it appears.

Out the rear window is a different story but if you use your mirrors regularly like you are supposed to (unlike most drivers here in Newcastle) you know what's around you.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 24-08-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm 6'4" and the mirror was right in my line of sight but did the flip over trick as seen on YouTube and all good now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 24-08-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Agreed, the mirror is the worst offender in the visibility stakes. The flip helps, but it is still awful. Closely following are the A pillars. I quickly learned to move a bit to check each side properly when approaching roundabouts & pedestrian crossings, when I came close to collecting cars/people who had vanished behind them.

Not an issue now. I also replaced the mirror with a camera that is above the windscreen. Not as good as a mirror, but good enough combined with the side mirrors.