WH radio replacement with gps + radio?? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR


Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee


Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #25  
Old 1 Week Ago
TimM's Avatar
TimM  TimM is offline
Senior Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gosford, NSW
Posts: 66
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 3
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Alpine Head Unit

Ginga,

This photo of my WH shows the Alpine Head Unit I had fitted a few years ago. Includes full Audio with DVD/CD, GPS, Bluetooth. Also connected to reversing camera and the camera on the back of the caravan.

Still working well after three years and uses the steering wheel controls. Had the install done by Monster Car Audio on the NSW Central Coast.

Likes: (1)
  #26  
Old 4 Days Ago
robertodonnell's Avatar
robertodonnell  robertodonnell is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 376
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 1
Liked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I have that Koolertron unit in a box here in my garage. It is not compatible with the Boston amp, so I have to replace the amp and speakers to go forward.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear from those who have replaced their speakers in the doors, and what they used.

Cheers,

Robert
  #27  
Old 4 Days Ago
07commander  07commander is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 394
What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Likes: 109
Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
I have that Koolertron unit in a box here in my garage. It is not compatible with the Boston amp, so I have to replace the amp and speakers to go forward.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear from those who have replaced their speakers in the doors, and what they used.

Cheers,

Robert
Why do you have to replace the speakers any amp will power them, they seem to be quite a good speaker if you used something like sony or kenwood i think you would go backwards to match or better the boston's would probably looking at around $1000 plus a amp $300-$600.
Personally i would sell the head unit you have and try again.
  #28  
Old 3 Days Ago
WH3.0's Avatar
WH3.0  WH3.0 is offline
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Port Lincoln, SA
Posts: 179
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 80
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
I have that Koolertron unit in a box here in my garage. It is not compatible with the Boston amp, so I have to replace the amp and speakers to go forward.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear from those who have replaced their speakers in the doors, and what they used.

Cheers,

Robert
cheers for the heads up on the Koolertron unit
__________________
Just Explore Every Possibility
Sponsored Posts
  #29  
Old 3 Days Ago
robertodonnell's Avatar
robertodonnell  robertodonnell is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 376
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 1
Liked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

The reason need to replace the speakers is because they are a bespoke component arrangement in the front doors and the dash, and the crossover is built into the amp. If I ran them parallel from the new head unit or from an amp, I would need to make up a crossover system that suits the roll off/on frequencies of the Boston speakers.

As I said in my previous post, the deck is incompatible with the Boston amp. The reason is that the factory deck puts out a line level signal to the amp, that doesn't vary with the volume. The way volume is controlled is internally in the amp, via a canbus signal that is provided from the deck. I know, weird.

Plug the new deck in and you get varying issues, but mainly a ground loop and no volume on one side. Pity, because the thing fits well in the dash and actually works from the steering controls.

Other issues with the new deck include very poor quality pins on the connector that plugs into the Jeep loom. Mine bent very easily and needed to be straightened delicately several times. Also, even though the unit is shipped from Australia, contact and support is from China. It is sent locally through a shipping warehouse. I have been caught out twice by this now.

I tried to return the unit after finding out it was incompatible, as it was sold to me on the basis it worked with the amp, but I was given a bit of a run around (and I was travelling in FNQ with limited email) and with the language barrier it all became too hard, so I finally settled for a discount of about 40%.

Time over, I would pay more and get something else. Hopefully I will fit it in the new year and it won't suck.
Likes: (1)
  #30  
Old 1 Day Ago
07commander  07commander is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 394
What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Likes: 109
Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
The reason need to replace the speakers is because they are a bespoke component arrangement in the front doors and the dash, and the crossover is built into the amp. If I ran them parallel from the new head unit or from an amp, I would need to make up a crossover system that suits the roll off/on frequencies of the Boston speakers.

As I said in my previous post, the deck is incompatible with the Boston amp. The reason is that the factory deck puts out a line level signal to the amp, that doesn't vary with the volume. The way volume is controlled is internally in the amp, via a canbus signal that is provided from the deck. I know, weird.

Plug the new deck in and you get varying issues, but mainly a ground loop and no volume on one side. Pity, because the thing fits well in the dash and actually works from the steering controls.

Other issues with the new deck include very poor quality pins on the connector that plugs into the Jeep loom. Mine bent very easily and needed to be straightened delicately several times. Also, even though the unit is shipped from Australia, contact and support is from China. It is sent locally through a shipping warehouse. I have been caught out twice by this now.

I tried to return the unit after finding out it was incompatible, as it was sold to me on the basis it worked with the amp, but I was given a bit of a run around (and I was travelling in FNQ with limited email) and with the language barrier it all became too hard, so I finally settled for a discount of about 40%.

Time over, I would pay more and get something else. Hopefully I will fit it in the new year and it won't suck.
oh wow the cross over in the amp, line level come on i think they like to do things back words sometimes just so its harder for us. Late model cars now run finer optic what hope are our kids going to have when they want to tour or 4x4.
Sponsored Posts
  #31  
Old 1 Day Ago
ren0vator's Avatar
ren0vator  ren0vator is offline
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Townsville
Posts: 338
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 72
Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07commander View Post
oh wow the cross over in the amp, line level come on i think they like to do things back words sometimes just so its harder for us. Late model cars now run finer optic what hope are our kids going to have when they want to tour or 4x4.
It'll be a different world
That's for sure

Carbon fibre repair kit +check
Fibre optic splicing machine +check
Phone scanning app that talks to the cloud +check
Electric motor bearings & brushes +check
Cable ties & gaffer tape +check
(because somethings will always stay the same)
__________________
Life's Too Short To Drive A Toyota
Likes: (2)
  #32  
Old 1 Day Ago
robertodonnell's Avatar
robertodonnell  robertodonnell is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 376
What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Likes: 1
Liked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Yes it really is over thinking the situation, isn't it!

Ingeniously, according to the US Jeep forums, the models without the Boston HiFi system use the same head unit, and it uses its own internal amp to drive the speakers in the standard systems. When the canbus system detects that the deck is connected to the Boston amp, it changes the level outputs to drive it with a constant signal as opposed to the varying level required to directly drive speakers.

All this technology, yet no bluetooth interface, or even a 3.5mm jack for aux input!

I have just the other day acquired a set of 6.5" and 6"x9" 3 way speakers, and when time permits, I will re-wire the whole system to run a conventional 4 channel amp. It's something I was hoping to avoid but, I think it is the way to go, even if I use a different head unit.
Likes: (1)
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On





All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:49 AM.




AJOR does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of AJOR or any entity associated with AJOR, nor should any advice be substituted as technical advice replacing that of a mechanic. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use AJOR to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, religious, political or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by AJOR. The owner, administrators and moderators of AJOR reserve the right to delete any message or members for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AJOR, the administrators, moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). The use of profile signatures to intentionally mislead or misdirect any member on this forum is not acceptable and may result in your account being suspended. Any trip that is organised through the AJOR forum is participated at your own risk. If you or your vehicle is damaged it is your responsibility, not that of the person that posted the thread, message or topic initiating the trip, nor the organisers of AJOR or moderators of any specific forum. This forum and associated website is the property of AJOR.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

AJOR 2002 - 2017 AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM. All corporate trademarked names and logos are property of their respective owners. Ausjeepoffroad is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation or Fiat Jeep.
www.midlifemate.com wayalife.com jkwrangler.com ausjeepforum.com jk-forum.com canadianjeepoffroad.com 20secondgorilla.com
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=