WH radio replacement with gps + radio?? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Alpine Head Unit

Ginga,

This photo of my WH shows the Alpine Head Unit I had fitted a few years ago. Includes full Audio with DVD/CD, GPS, Bluetooth. Also connected to reversing camera and the camera on the back of the caravan.

Still working well after three years and uses the steering wheel controls. Had the install done by Monster Car Audio on the NSW Central Coast.

Old 4 Days Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 33 Posts

I have that Koolertron unit in a box here in my garage. It is not compatible with the Boston amp, so I have to replace the amp and speakers to go forward.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear from those who have replaced their speakers in the doors, and what they used.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 4 Days Ago
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
I have that Koolertron unit in a box here in my garage. It is not compatible with the Boston amp, so I have to replace the amp and speakers to go forward.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear from those who have replaced their speakers in the doors, and what they used.

Cheers,

Robert
Why do you have to replace the speakers any amp will power them, they seem to be quite a good speaker if you used something like sony or kenwood i think you would go backwards to match or better the boston's would probably looking at around $1000 plus a amp $300-$600.
Personally i would sell the head unit you have and try again.
Old 3 Days Ago
Established Member

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:

Cheers,

Robert
cheers for the heads up on the Koolertron unit
Old 3 Days Ago
CrawlerStar

The reason need to replace the speakers is because they are a bespoke component arrangement in the front doors and the dash, and the crossover is built into the amp. If I ran them parallel from the new head unit or from an amp, I would need to make up a crossover system that suits the roll off/on frequencies of the Boston speakers.

As I said in my previous post, the deck is incompatible with the Boston amp. The reason is that the factory deck puts out a line level signal to the amp, that doesn't vary with the volume. The way volume is controlled is internally in the amp, via a canbus signal that is provided from the deck. I know, weird.

Plug the new deck in and you get varying issues, but mainly a ground loop and no volume on one side. Pity, because the thing fits well in the dash and actually works from the steering controls.

Other issues with the new deck include very poor quality pins on the connector that plugs into the Jeep loom. Mine bent very easily and needed to be straightened delicately several times. Also, even though the unit is shipped from Australia, contact and support is from China. It is sent locally through a shipping warehouse. I have been caught out twice by this now.

I tried to return the unit after finding out it was incompatible, as it was sold to me on the basis it worked with the amp, but I was given a bit of a run around (and I was travelling in FNQ with limited email) and with the language barrier it all became too hard, so I finally settled for a discount of about 40%.

Time over, I would pay more and get something else. Hopefully I will fit it in the new year and it won't suck.
Old 1 Day Ago
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
The reason need to replace the speakers is because they are a bespoke component arrangement in the front doors and the dash, and the crossover is built into the amp. If I ran them parallel from the new head unit or from an amp, I would need to make up a crossover system that suits the roll off/on frequencies of the Boston speakers.

As I said in my previous post, the deck is incompatible with the Boston amp. The reason is that the factory deck puts out a line level signal to the amp, that doesn't vary with the volume. The way volume is controlled is internally in the amp, via a canbus signal that is provided from the deck. I know, weird.

Plug the new deck in and you get varying issues, but mainly a ground loop and no volume on one side. Pity, because the thing fits well in the dash and actually works from the steering controls.

Other issues with the new deck include very poor quality pins on the connector that plugs into the Jeep loom. Mine bent very easily and needed to be straightened delicately several times. Also, even though the unit is shipped from Australia, contact and support is from China. It is sent locally through a shipping warehouse. I have been caught out twice by this now.

I tried to return the unit after finding out it was incompatible, as it was sold to me on the basis it worked with the amp, but I was given a bit of a run around (and I was travelling in FNQ with limited email) and with the language barrier it all became too hard, so I finally settled for a discount of about 40%.

Time over, I would pay more and get something else. Hopefully I will fit it in the new year and it won't suck.
oh wow the cross over in the amp, line level come on i think they like to do things back words sometimes just so its harder for us. Late model cars now run finer optic what hope are our kids going to have when they want to tour or 4x4.
Sponsored Posts
Old 1 Day Ago
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 51 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07commander View Post
oh wow the cross over in the amp, line level come on i think they like to do things back words sometimes just so its harder for us. Late model cars now run finer optic what hope are our kids going to have when they want to tour or 4x4.
It'll be a different world
That's for sure

Carbon fibre repair kit +check
Fibre optic splicing machine +check
Phone scanning app that talks to the cloud +check
Electric motor bearings & brushes +check
Cable ties & gaffer tape +check
(because somethings will always stay the same)
Old 1 Day Ago
CrawlerStar

Yes it really is over thinking the situation, isn't it!

Ingeniously, according to the US Jeep forums, the models without the Boston HiFi system use the same head unit, and it uses its own internal amp to drive the speakers in the standard systems. When the canbus system detects that the deck is connected to the Boston amp, it changes the level outputs to drive it with a constant signal as opposed to the varying level required to directly drive speakers.

All this technology, yet no bluetooth interface, or even a 3.5mm jack for aux input!

I have just the other day acquired a set of 6.5" and 6"x9" 3 way speakers, and when time permits, I will re-wire the whole system to run a conventional 4 channel amp. It's something I was hoping to avoid but, I think it is the way to go, even if I use a different head unit.
Post New Thread  Reply