Rockcrawling Categories - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Rock Crawling
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Perhaps WE Rock isn't the place for it, and someone else needs to setup a series to address this middle ground.
Yes, that is correct. It would be great to see SOMEONE else set up a series for this type of vehicle.

Just to let you now that you refer to it as the "middle groud". I pressume you feel that these rigs should be in between the Unlimiteds and Legend Class buggys in regards to performance. What you need to realise is that a class that will accomodate for these rigs will in fact be driving easier terrain than the legend class buggys. So in fact it wouldn't be the "middle Ground". (legends class buggy drive the identical courses to unlimiteds).

In regards to all those people that have spent thousands of dollars on rigs that may not have events to attend than i suppose thats a bit of bad luck. I spent money on building two buggys (full tube buggys) for an event that only consisted of 5 or 6 cars, i could have easily spent all that money on them only to see the arse fall out of Rockcrawling. Or i could have spent that money and built a Tuff Truck, but even two years ago i could see that even in NSW the laws would get tighter and these types of rigs would become even harder to get into.

I just cannot see that a series that is well set-up creating a new class every time someone builds a rig that will not be competitive in an exsisting class. Hell there would be more Nissan Patrols out there built for Winch challenge style events, what happens if they all of a sudden see benefits in what Rockcrawling is doing and want a seperate class too.

I say that if you want to start a series for this type of vehicle than do it. Obviously there is enough interest and enough rigs that it would be financially viable for whoever takes it on.

Adrian.
Old 04-12-2005
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When you look at the finals for Werock, there was what, under 20 vehicles total. Now lets say you open up another class for full bodied vehciles, run them on the same courses as the other two classes, thats fine, if someone doesnt wanna risk rolling their vehicle, its simple they dont take that line, or if they have the guts and budget choice to give it a go they will.

You open up the suggestion of this class and you may get another 6-8 vehicles, isnt tha a worthwhile exercise to develope the sport?

Also I cant understand when I watch DVD's from rockcrawling events in the states that I see more than just the Fad Moonbuggy competing, I see people in other styles of vehicles.

The last WErock event I went to at LCMP consised of around 10 vehicles and very low spectator numbers. Why I beleive is because not everone wants to see moonbuggies. Its mainly mates of mates that are going.

People still cant understand and grasp it, give them something to look at they can relate to also and it will further the experience.

I am not asking WErock to be everything to everyone, all I am suggesting is to open it up to more than just moon buggies or legands vehicles, open it to something in between, and let the choice of panel damage and rebuilds be the competitors choice not the organisers!!

ps. no offense, trying to be constructive to help with growth in OZ.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 07-12-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Hey youall... I'm back from my latest o/s jaunt. Lots of travel for work at the moment - makes it tough to straighten out all those bent panels when you're not here!

Nice topic this. I've abviously been giving this stuff alot of thought lately, so here comes my 2 cents.

I love my Jeep. It's tough love, but I'm pretty sure it's still love. There is 1 comp per year that I think is well suited to the FireTruck (or similar), and that's Tuff Truck. TTC is a great event - in the perfect world, there should be a TTC series. Maybe 4 events per year... if this happened, I could justify keeping the FireTruck, paying the rego, insurance, repairs, comp fees, etc. TTC is damn expensive, but it's a great event.

Why do I like the rockcrawling events?? It's the technical driving, the wicked terrain, and pushing to do stuff that even 6 months ago seemed impossible. There are lots of events popping up, and within a year you could go to a comp every month somewhere in Aus.

I'm going to build a buggy - that has always been my intention. If I could afford it I would keep the FT and start from scratch. I'm just not that cashed up. I've been driving in the rockcrawling comps to get some experience, but also to watch and learn what works - and I will try to build something that works. I want to be competitive, and I love rockcrawling. Pushing the limits to breaking or roll over or whatever point is part of the excitement and attraction for me... breaks my heart to watch the FT slowly get mashed into a beater though... but I'll keep driving her in whatever I can get to.

Anyway, tough choice for me right now boils down to this: it will cost me about as much to get to TTC this year as it will to build a buggy and hit 8 comps in the next year.

I think there is room for buggies, and for tuff trucks... maybe not in the same series, but there is room for both. And lets face it - they are built for different stuff - they should be in different comps.

Buggies -vs- tufftrucks... F1 -vs- V8 supercars... people can't really relate to buggies? How about F1 cars? Same deal I reckon... both huge sports, enuff fans for both, both are great events, people are different and like different stuff.

It's all good.

People like Sam and Cheezy are stepping up to grow the sport of Rockcrawling... someone with the same passion for TTC style events needs to do the same for full bodied rigs. How about pushing the TTC guys to extend the comps to a series rather than looking to Sam or Cheezy?? I reckon that's the way to go.

Stay tuned to see what is in store for the FireTruck... I haven't figured it all out yet, but I'll let you all know when I do. If I can find a way she'll stay together in some way shape or form... maybe in the hands of another who can use the solid FT base and continue with the all terrain comps??

S.

Build thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121388
Old 07-12-2005
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Too be honest I'm not a huge F1 follower....I like to see it occassionally but not a follower of it.....
Same deal with buggies.
I LIKE seeing Jeeps compeing against Toyotas & nissans etc....not just one JungleJimKit against another JungleGymkit.....
Longer term I'm not sure where our Jeep will end up class wise - but it was always the intention to keep it road legal so that is can be used for more than one comp per year.

For me seeing a vehcile that can actually be driven on the street is part of the appeal.....
I mean I used to do a lot of rock climbing....so if I shove a matchbox car in my pocket can I compete in the buggy class?....Just where does the buggy class line get drawn? Helicopter anyone .....

Anyhow I'd like to see 4 TTC style events nicely spread throughout the year - that would be my ideal....
Old 07-12-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders
Too be honest I'm not a huge F1 follower....I like to see it occassionally but not a follower of it.....
Same deal with buggies.
I LIKE seeing Jeeps compeing against Toyotas & nissans etc....not just one JungleJimKit against another JungleGymkit.....
Longer term I'm not sure where our Jeep will end up class wise - but it was always the intention to keep it road legal so that is can be used for more than one comp per year.

For me seeing a vehcile that can actually be driven on the street is part of the appeal.....
I mean I used to do a lot of rock climbing....so if I shove a matchbox car in my pocket can I compete in the buggy class?....Just where does the buggy class line get drawn? Helicopter anyone .....

Anyhow I'd like to see 4 TTC style events nicely spread throughout the year - that would be my ideal....
Line is drawn here - http://www.we-rock.cc/suprules.html

and Here - http://www.we-rock.cc/legrules.html

No helicopters allowed!

Its like anything Wooders no one is making you watch something you don't want to, if you don't like the buggies thats cool.

People i think (hope) now appriciate that they don't look like anything, but they are more excited about where they can go. Just like people like to see how fast a top fueler can go down the 1/4 mile, they don't resemble anything that a normal person can buy but they sound great and go fast, thats the attraction and i am sure that is what attracts people to this sport, seeing machines do the un-thinkable.

Anyway not here to defend buggies, as long as everyone sets a good example to the general public for the whole 4wdriving family.
Old 08-12-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

damn jetlag...

Wooders - I'm not a huge fan of F1 either... but then again, I'm not an avid V8 supercars fan either.

But people obviously are HUGE fans of each. Some F1 fans don't care for V8 supercars, and vica versa.

4 TTC events would be sweet... I would push for this and let the rockcrawling comps evolve however they need to evolve. If I could I would do both!

S.

Build thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121388
Old 08-12-2005
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

POS,
You misunderstand.
I'm not having a shot at buggies - I'm just saying 2 main points from my perspective:

1. I Personally PREFER full bodies rigs. But I don't doubt driving a Buggy wouldn't ba a lot of fun etc and certainly not saying they arn't competative nor spectacular. But too me it's a bit like the latest "fad".....

2. Definition of vehicles - Sure you have rules definining the parameters - but anyone that's watched the CCDA rules evlove knows how much they can still change... But again I guess for me I like defining a vehicle as something road registered cause It define and controls it a bit more......But I guess you are right about it being like top fuel (or F1) and certainly I will be watching it carefully - but more for ideas for my full bodied rig

FT,
Yeah I;m no really into V8 Supercars either. Infact the 2 classes that I always liked the most are:
A. the European 2L Touring class events - loads of viriaty in brands, close competition and relative standard vehicles.
B. Aussie Sports sedans - Used to have some pretty wild rigs in it (think 120Y with a 454), but were still full bodies....and like my example in a few words you can picture it and appreciate the silliness
Post New Thread  Reply