Why so much cheaper to import than buy local? - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-12-2009
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've imported bucket loads of things from the US, nothing for the Jeep yet, and never had any issues with customs. I believe customs dont really look until your items are worth more than AU$1000. i only import when i know what im getting is exactly what i want/need, and that i will be saving hundreds of dollars.

Having said that, the fellas at Wooders are an awesome bunch of guys. soooo extremely helpful, so it depends how much you value help and support? I know id be looking to buy from them now for the a lot of my buys now.

So an argument from both sides of the fence... I have and do import (snowboards and mtn bike gear and have saved close to thousands all up), but i also understand the value of buying local and the help/support you get when doing so... I think i stepped on toes a little when i first brought this topic up, but the reality is that if you can save $200, $300, $400 on a single item its hard to say no...
Old 23-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyFutter View Post
the reality is that if you can save $200, $300, $400 on a single item its hard to say no...
Especially when it's something you shouldn't need "support" on. It's horses for courses I'd say. As to service and loyalty, I can't imagine my local dealership or others locally coming to save me when I'm in the poo........ If they did, well then they'd certainly see some loyalty from me!
Old 23-12-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiedog View Post
Especially when it's something you shouldn't need "support" on. It's horses for courses I'd say. As to service and loyalty, I can't imagine my local dealership or others locally coming to save me when I'm in the poo........ If they did, well then they'd certainly see some loyalty from me!
You have obviously missed all wooders trips to the forest to bail customers out, the chasing he does to get parts he doesnt normally deal with for suppliers that wont export to Australia etc etc.
Old 23-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtj View Post
You have obviously missed all wooders trips to the forest to bail customers out, the chasing he does to get parts he doesnt normally deal with for suppliers that wont export to Australia etc etc.
Note I said "dealerships" in my post and in my earlier post, I said that for "suppliers" in Australia, and that I hadn't dealt with non-dealerships here.

I did read of Wooders doing exactly that and that's exactly why I said what I did. Unfortunately for me, I'm in Brisbane, he's in Sydney. I can't imagine the guys from Albion Chrysler Jeep coming to help me even though I purchased my car from them and had ALL my work done there. When it comes to mechanics, I have to go local and that means the dealers or from what I know only two others in Brisbane.

In my case I imported parts that Chrysler Jeep Australia and my local mechanic told me I'd have to wait 3 weeks for and got them in a week so I could have my car back before Christmas. Seems like a no-brainer to me.....

As I said, it's horses for courses.

Last edited by indiedog; 23-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 23-12-2009
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiedog View Post
Note I said "dealerships" in my post and in my earlier post, I said that for "suppliers" in Australia, and that I hadn't dealt with non-dealerships here.

I did read of Wooders doing exactly that and that's exactly why I said what I did. Unfortunately for me, I'm in Brisbane, he's in Sydney. I can't imagine the guys from Albion Chrysler Jeep coming to help me even though I purchased my car from them and had ALL my work done there. When it comes to mechanics, I have to go local and that means the dealers or from what I know only two others in Brisbane.

In my case I imported parts that Chrysler Jeep Australia and my local mechanic told me I'd have to wait 3 weeks for and got them in a week so I could have my car back before Christmas. Seems like a no-brainer to me.....

As I said, it's horses for courses.
Maybe but if its in stock and you need it, be assured its at your place overnight with WOODERS
Old 23-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I've looked at Wooders website before and there is no hint of engine parts on there. I also used their search facility and they have nothing listed for KJ 2.5CRD's. Do they actually supply gaskets, valves, belts, tensioners and other stock items for CRD's? If so where are they sourced from?

So I suppose a valid question is, apart from Chrysler Jeep Aust, and mechanics who source through them, what other Australian avenues are open to find general engine parts and other stock items, not accessories?
Old 24-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I ordered a soft top which they tried to deliver to my door but i wasnt home so i had to pick it up from the Toll depot