Engine transplant - BA/BF 4.0L into a TJ?? - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

Any updates on your conversion ranger ???
Old 13-02-2020
CrawlerStar

Just getting back to my project TJ after Barra Conversion stalled. The Novak adapter will need so extra holes drilled and then have thread tapped. The holes meant for the transmission bolts on the FMax15 do not match up with the holes on manual T5 bellhousing.
The E series bellhousing is better than the AU T5 bellhousing as it has a better casting for the relocation of holes to bolt to adapter. The AU bellhousing does allow lower 4 holes on the sump of Barra to bolt to bellhousing. Before AU they never had the structure to bolt to the sump so this is not really an issue anyway.
Hoping to get the NV3550 trans out of the TJ in the next few weeks and then define location of the holes to bolt Novak adapter to the T5 bellhousing.

Old 26-03-2020
CrawlerStar

After getting the NV3550 gearbox out of the TJ I found a couple of problems.
I was going to need to do quite a bit of machining to the adapter to make it fit. I contacted Novak in the US about my problems.
They confirmed that the kit I had was when they did one adapter for both the AX15 box & the NV3550. They stated it worked great on the AX15 but there was a few complications with the NV3550 box. They had since released a new conversion kit for the NV3550 specifically and offered to swap my kits over at no cost including freight.

It is pleasing to see companies like this who still stand behind their products and offer after sales customer service and support. I could not recommend them more highly.

Have test fitted gearbox to the engine with no problems. Waiting on some ARP flywheel bolts and a HD Ford AU clutch kit. I also found that the VR-VN Commodore T5's used the correct 1 1/8" 10 spline 255mm diameter clutch to fit the NV3350 input shaft. The Ford T5 used 1 1/16" 10 spline IP shaft.
Had to relocate 2 BH bolts, drill and tap Novak adapter for BH attachment and trim 1mm off the end of IP shaft.

With the Rona virus I may have a quite a bit more time to spend on this project. About the only positive thing this current situation has delivered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Novak BH Inside.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	78833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Novak ex side.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	78834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Novak IP Shaft.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	78835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Novak Top.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	78836  
Old 24-05-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

I only just caught back up on where this project is at, sorry to hear it's come to something of a stall.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been done more often, what with both engines being somewhat similar dimensions and some people's liking to just shove Barras in everything.

Just one point with regards to the "BA/BF" gearbox you mention, there's two possible boxes you could be dealing with, the old school BTR 4 speed which was found in the BA and poverty spec BFs and the ZF 6HP26 6 speed automatic which is found in upper spec BFs and FGs and all FGs since the FGII
There was also a 5 speed auto used in some early FGs that was pilfered from the US, I believe somewhat similar to the 5 speeder in the Explorer but don't quote me.

The 4 speeder wasn't a particularly advanced box (for the 2000s, in the late '80s it was cutting edge), with just enough computerization to be smart but not enough to be painful to get working. Some E series V8s actually had a seperate transmission controller computer that wasn't a part of the ECU itself, getting a stand alone computer running it is definitely an option. Likewise each part isn't concerned if it's coded to the other, they don't care if it's the same one it left the factory or one you put in 5 minutes ago.

The ZF is the total opposite, that's the one that needs to be coded to the ECU and won't play nice if not, it's also a fairly large box and you may have issues making it fit (Ford did-BF transmission tunnels are larger than the BA) before you even worry about making it electrically work.

The Territory AWD Transfer case is not known for it's strength in any case.

Just another aside to anyone considering such a swap, I wouldn't rule out using a pre Barra SOHC motor. They can be built to be near on equivalent to a Barra, are lighter, smaller and can give better low end power than the Barra. If you use the under appreciated AU VCT motor, which was only 10kw behind a Barra stock, you're literally a tune away from equalling the newer engine.
Old 11-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Things are progressing well. The engine is in the gearbox mounted in the same spot on the TJ cross member skid plate will allow original drive shafts to be used. The Ford ECU is installed and wiring is 90% completed. Have the inlet and airbox mostly sorted. Fuel pump and lines are nearly completed should be able to fire it up in the next few weeks.

Big Al the Novak conversion kit for the NV3550 made using all the original Jeep driveline possible. The bell housing and flywheel I used is from a E series Falcon with the Tremec 5 speed. I have a a good BTR auto but trying to use it would have required transfer case adapter that I do not think exists as yet. They are putting lots of Barra's with the ZF 6 speed into Patrols and cruisers with a xfer case adapter for the ZF that PJ's offroad are fabricating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine final s.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	78962  
Old 04-05-2021
CrawlerStar

Barra conversion completed now to get it passed by the engineer. Need a weighbridge ticket and his certificate. Sorted all the little issues with elec fans and speed sensor etc. Test driven around the neighbourhood a few times and it is basically sorted.
Have contemplated trying to get bigger tyres and a better GVM towing capacity included in the engineer report. But engineer advised that GVM upgrades are very hard to get through right now and getting the tyre size increase will involve testing and higher costs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201207_154933 F.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	79339  
Old 22-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Any update Lewy?