Jeep Wagoneer - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep History in Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

their is one of these i belive for sale around the corner from me for 1500$ has a bit of rust and a old 351 in it, good write up m8, allways curioused me about it,
Old 04-02-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

There is a late one for sale on car sales.com, on the Gold Coast. Auto needs rebuild, but looks fairly clean.
Old 05-02-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

This is the '89 Advertised on the Gold Coast. Didn't reach reserve on ebay.

Old 05-02-2013
SwampDigger

Yep, thats the one.
Old 05-02-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

What can any one tell me about the "Sportsman" model .
Mines an 85 ,has a 258 motor, 5 speed box ,(B-W T5 I believe) manual transfer ,factory electric sun roof ,factory Hella driving lights.
Cant find much info on the net .
note that the bullbar is gone

WJ Grand
Old 05-02-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Must admit I am not a fan of the full size Chero's. But I was intrigued to see they were assembled in Aust at one point. Would that have been at the Chrysler factory in Adelaide by any chance? One thing I do love is the size of the donks they put in them from factory.

Regards A
Old 05-02-2013
SwampDigger

AG, I had a reasonably well sorted XJ, and a well built FSJ ( do a search in the early jeeps section).

The XJ was nice to drive, but the Chero was waaaaay more fun.
As an Offroad only rig, I'd have a FSJ waggy every time. As a daily driver, I'd have wagoneer over an XJ just for the v8 and the cool factor.

Tassie, Re the Sportsman, there's one not too far from me in a paddock looks identical to yours, maybe a bit sadder. Was talking to a mate the other day about it, who is a bit of a guru on old jeeps.....

Most sportsmans we're very late 84, or 85, and unique to Australia, perhaps in response to ballooning fuel prices at the time, as these mid 80's full size wagons were not fitted with the six in the US, but only ran with the 360 v8. Given that they were right at the end of Jeep Australia's production run, it may have been done to clear remaining bodies? Remember, FSJ jeeps were shipped here without engines and trans, and the firewall mods, heater and brake booster relocation etc and steering conversion to right hook was done here before drive lines were fitted.

Almost all were manuals, although interior trims were a bit of a mix... Whilst most seemed to be fairly basic in trim levels, some were optioned up with power windows and centre front arm rests etc ( such as the one near me). The stripe package was unique to all sportsmanship it seems.

I'm happy to be corrected.
Post New Thread  Reply