If You weren't a Obsessed Jeep Owner .. What would You Drive? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

I agree with Nanook.

The Falcons were built for Australian roads. I would have clocked thousands of kilometres in the 4.0L versions. They were quiet and felt comfortable to drive over long distances. I usually arrived at the other end of epic journeys with very little fatigue. The Commode by comparison (most models) was nothing like it.

The Mustang 5.0L is an affordable and very nice looking drive. It is everything, that a luxury European sports car isn't.

If I had to drive a 4wd, it would probably be a Land Rover Defender 110 (for its space, 7 seat capacity and old world charm) or Land Cruiser 70 series wagon. The latter would be due to the extensive Toyota dealer and service network in the bush, ... and before Toyota ditches the trusted 4.5L V8.

Last edited by eksjay; 13-02-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 15-02-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
If I had to drive a 4wd, it would probably be a Land Rover Defender 110 (for its space, 7 seat capacity and old world charm)
This is what got me into Jeeps in the first place. I grew up with Land Rovers and always wanted one but their prices (especially 2nd hand) were ridiculous.

I've always liked the look of the Wrangler but never saw myself owning one. After coming to the conclusion that Defenders were just too expensive to justify spending that kind of money I started looking into the Wrangler. I've owned 2 now and loved both of them. The only reason I bought the WK2 was for towing over long distances.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 15-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Jamie, I passed up an opportunity to buy a new
Deefer in 1995. I bought an XJ instead because it had just landed and ticked boxes I didn't know I needed. It ended up being the right choice at the time because I partly lived in the big smoke and did cannonball runs with it all over. It could literally end up in the middle of the desert one minute, and a tight spot in a shopping centre the next.

Fast forward to 2016 and I really wanted a classic Deefer 110 to sit side by side to the XJ. Never in my mind had I thought I would become a JKU owner instead.

In the end, a used 110 was more than its original value, lacked the safety of the JKUs 4 airbags, roll bars, tech, and future parts supply. A LR dealer quoted me a new classic 7 seater Deefer 110 with an imported on road price greater than $90k. No thanks. At that price, I would rather buy a 70 series Toyota wagon (and have spare change) because this is the car that gets serviced in the middle of bugger all, not trucked back to the nearest capital city.

It would have been interesting if Jeep forged ahead with its Jeep Africa concept and the additional room it could have offered (a future Gladiator with a canopy probably killed the idea). In any event, can a Wrangler be a Wrangler without a removable roof?

I have not looked back or sideways with the JKU (3.6L). It not only has real off road cred, but it has street presence. Always turns heads at traffic lights. I see sports car owners' expressions of envy (and despondency) as they drive past. Not my imagination.

My XJ remains my goto car for a lot of tasks. It sounds crazy, but this machine is now a part of me.

Last edited by eksjay; 15-02-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 15-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

If I owned Jeep I would have mortgaged the company to roll out the Jeep Africa.
Old 16-02-2021
AJOR Bronze

I absolutely love this one which is very similar

Also this one

Old 16-02-2021
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I agree with Nanook.

The Falcons were built for Australian roads. I would have clocked thousands of kilometres in the 4.0L versions. They were quiet and felt comfortable to drive over long distances. I usually arrived at the other end of epic journeys with very little fatigue. The Commode by comparison (most models) was nothing like it.
I have to agree, the Falcons were so much better, the 4.0 was a fantastic motor. The Falcon was always more comfortable and quieter. I sold cars for a while and remember selling a BA Wagon to a bloke who always had Commodores, he refused to look at it at first, then once he did, and he drove it, he was sold.
Old 17-02-2021
AJOR Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I have to agree, the Falcons were so much better, the 4.0 was a fantastic motor. The Falcon was always more comfortable and quieter. I sold cars for a while and remember selling a BA Wagon to a bloke who always had Commodores, he refused to look at it at first, then once he did, and he drove it, he was sold.
I talked a mate who was a life long Holden fan into buying a Falcon after he spend a couple of weeks with me in one of mine. He kept on telling me how much he loved it after never considering them.

I was a member of the Tickford/FPV owners club for years and used to rack up a lot of kilometers going to shows and cruises. They were fantastic for long trips. That's why I love the GC so much now, it's effortless on the highway.

Post New Thread  Reply