New member after lift kit advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-08-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New member after lift kit advice

Hey guys n gals,

New member here, so I apologise if there’s already a thread covering this topic but I couldn’t find anything relating to my exact queries.
I’ve recently bought my first Jeep (2018 JK Sport 4dr) and couldn’t be happier, but it’s already time for lifting.
I’d like to do 2.5” with 33s/34s on stock alloys and have been looking at some very comprehensive kits that have sway bar disconnects and all sorts of other things, but now I’m beginning to think it’s way more kit (and coin) than I need. It’s a daily driver and will probably get away for basic 4wding/camping once a month or so.
So based on that, would a simple spring/shock combo be sufficient? Or are there any other bits that I will definitely need like exhaust protector or adjusted control arms or any of the other things I’ve read about but don’t understand too well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 13-08-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

I've got a 2011 2door sport and went from stock suspension to the AEV 2.5" dualsport kit and it was a big improvement in on-road ride and handling. I would highly recommend this kit along with the geometry correction brackets over just doing springs and shocks. The adjustable control arms are probably not necessary to start with, but swaybar disconnects are also highly recommended if you'll be doing any offroading. As for tyres I've got 33x10.5 kendas on the stock rims and very happy with the setup so far.
Old 13-08-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks mate, I’ll have a look at those bits!
Old 15-09-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in a similar boat to you when looking for a lift kit. I too went for the AEV one as it seemed the best "all-in-one" kind of kit. My son and I took our time and installed it ourselves in the driveway over a weekend. We used the normal kit, but added some sway bar disconnects as well. It's also running 285/75 BFG KO2's. The lift made a huge difference to the driving experience, both on and off road – can't recommend it enough!
Old 16-09-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

If you're only going to be doing some basic 4wd'ing and it's a daily driver, then I would suggest considering leaving it un-lifted. A stock Wrangler is still amazingly capable off-road with just a front sway bar disconnect to allow more front wheel articulation and a steering stabiliser flip to get it out of harms way.

Assuming that the costs and comfort changes vs extra ground clearance from suspension lift is worth it to you, I think a 2" spring and shock-only lift is perfectly serviceable but 2.5" lift and 33" tyres with all the brackets and bits is the sweet spot for a lifted daily driver. A lot of 2" springs like the Mopar/Lovell springs and the ARB/OME springs are also quite firm, which is great when the Jeep is loaded up but not worth the discomfort the rest of the time imho.

34" tyres will need new wheels so they don't rub on full lock, wider flares, bigger bump stops and possibly even different sway bar end links to fit - costs that I suggest you step up to later if you discover that you will really benefit from them.

Even with 2" lift, I suggest getting a track bar bracket for the rear and adjustable track bar for the front to centre the axles and lessen bump steer. If your budget allows it, longer or adjustable front lower control arms will help correct the caster, which will also help the bump steer and give the Jeep a more sure-footed feel on-road. When you go up to 2.5" lift, you have the option of using (cheaper) front LCA drop brackets instead but at the same time, I think either the bracket or control arms become a must-have.

The AEV lift kits are well regarded for good reason though and well worth the money from what I hear but it worked out cheaper for me (shipping included) to source almost all the components separately from SBR Offroad and it allowed me to spread the costs over a few months as well as afford more and better quality parts, like a beefy Teraflex adjustable front track bar.

Last edited by st_za; 16-09-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 17-09-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree with all the above. Have the same kit (and 33's) with geometry correction brackets, sway bar disconnects and steering dampener relocated above the tie rod. It's a great kit.

Will eventually upgrade to beefier track bars etc, and if I am being serious will also probably upgrade to the 3.5 inch lift and 35's at some point (and maybe a super charger...) These mods are just never ending.
Post New Thread  Reply