Diesel Fuel Additive - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-12-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

The thing is you can have as many studies as possible but it boils down to no matter what you do if you pump in 30 lts of fuel and half of its water, your stuffed, the water trap, additives are not going to do a thing, the bells will ring and the engine will stop, been there done that, (not my own rig of course) the water trap, extra filter, additive is for the slow accumulation of contaminates, if you take 12mths to do 10K km then full tanks of fuel and additives is probably a good idea..............keep the tank full though.

The HP fuel pump failure has been around for years in various vehicles and does seem to be not so much caused by the fuel pump but by poor procedure in servicing which leads to the pump running dry for a time certainly lack of lube ... I still think dry cranking is a major part of the problem and few are going to own up to just turning the key and cranking to pump fuel......... not knowing what happens inside the workshop would be a concern as no dealer is strictly Jeep they usually handle other brands and the mechanic may go from brand to brand...

Going out and spending over $2G on a new fuel pump is just plain dumb, the chance of it happening is very slim and the pump may be just the same, I haven't heard of any mods to the design at all so far other than some mods from after market places.... the VM engine has been around since 2011 in a few vehicles all with that same pump so if it was an issue I think after over 10 years things might have hit the wall by now, in the US the pump seems to have failed from the beginning in Ford and GM's yet not so in Europe or here with the VM, fuel could be an issue, servicing again as yanks are not really diesel minded at all.... who knows but ther eare hell of a lot of VM 3lts around with that pump.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-12-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 300 Times in 188 Posts

My rule is just don't fill up if you see the tanker there refueling as they will stir the water up in the servo tanks from condensation over time.
Old 18-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply drover.

I agree the fuel system is not designed for 15L of water. Not sure of your setup but maybe a quality pre fuel water separator with water sensor (resistive type) would hopefully give an early warning detection before the OEM filter then fills with water.
(need mythbusters to test & foot the bill)

Agree with minimising condensation & humidity to the tank.

I suspect no one wants to spend 2g on replacing the pump. I do feel sorry for the ones that spend 10g+ though when it fails.

@GCDingo
Yep, not filling when the tanker is around is also on the list to minimise risk of contamination.
Old 19-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

The poor design of the WK2 fill point for a supposed FWD shows that its really a city car, the fuel flap and seal is really poor and the release button can be easily knocked without knowing, so the capless filler can be covered in dust, sand or drenched in water for ages before you know about it, then even though it has flap how do you clean it before sticking a nozzle in, water and dust would most certainly have go in anyway .... I think a greasy rag to wipe it would be the solution with a large cotton bud affair for the nooks and cranny parts, if careful.

This worried me from the outset my solution was to cut off the bottom 30mm or so of a stubby holder which covers the fill point nicely and most important it does work, mine has proved its worth as open the door and there's a red dust stain in there, the stubby holder cover worked well when the hinge on the junky door failed letting in some nice QLD red dust but none managed to get in the fill point it self, when the cover gets a bit worn its easily replaced, have been wanting to replace with a capped fill point but its still on the list.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-12-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,153 Times in 610 Posts

Similar to you Drover, I hated the idea of the ridiculous "capless" fuel filler neck...why would you do that with a supposed off road capable vehicle?

Especially in a dusty (and possibly wet) environment, such as the Old Tele Track...so I have the plastic cap off a spray paint can trimmed a tad so it fits nice and snug over the filler spout and doesn't foul the filler flap just like a cap is supposed to...it is dust and water proof...and won't fall off if the flimsy fuel filler flap is open.
...which has happened to me a couple of times too, I've noticed the fuel filler flap has opened when walking around the car which would have let all sorts of crud get in.

Old 19-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Yep, Not a very smart design.
Possible cap alternatives to also assist with misfuelling

https://www.solodiesel.eu/en/vehicle-list

https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/die...ing-prevention

http://fuelangelau.com/

https://www.goss.com.au/products/fill-safe/
Old 19-12-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What were they thinking?? Like the valley hose, it's such a backward step for later models. Not sure what the filler neck looks like on MY14 up, but would a proper screw cap off the MY11-13 fit I wonder?