What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 1591 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

After 5 years and 70,000 km, I have regrettably replaced all the factory Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA Silent Armors with the GY Wrangler AT Adventure/Kevlars. I stuck to the original 245/75/17 size with the new tyre being heavier.

La Nina forced my hand, otherwise I could have squeezed another 10,000km out of the original set.

The tread pattern of the new tyres is a turn-off (looks like a cheap and boring truck tyre). Time will tell how this new set will perform. The steering feels different and more vague but hopefully the tyres will be able to go the distance. I think Goodyear should have never discontinued their AT/SA Silent Armors. I personally found them to be an excellent tyre even though they lacked the Kevlar.

Having gone to the expense of getting new tyres earlier than I planned, I reckon La Nina will probably call it quits now.
Old 11-12-2021
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

So you reckon new tyres for the wet season are the opposite of washing the car?

Good luck with the new ones!
Old 12-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
After 5 years and 70,000 km, I have regrettably replaced all the factory Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA Silent Armors .
Well you were lucky with 70000km. Got about 50000km out of mine a long time ago. I thought the "come with SA tyres" were pieces of shit. Constantly shedding weights and constantly needing re-balancing and a lot of balancing weights. No good at all in the wet and had to fight to keep a straight line in the dry.

I think that they made a strong contribution to death wobble, although not the only thing. DW almost disappeared once I changed them. Now, I buy tyres from an Indian tyre supplier: $200 a corner MT. They r a bit noisy but have been everywhere with them and nary a puncture etc. on even the most gibber strewn road. Stop well, too.

I remember being in Booraloola up in Cape territory and a bloke was in a tyre/mechanic shop and asked the tyre man what was the best tyre to buy. He said, quick as a flash, "the cheapest". I have followed this advice ever since.
Old 16-01-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I fitted my new Uneek Baja bar, two 40w spotlights on the bumper, two lights on the A-pillar brackets, Stedi LED foglight bulbs and I took the opportunity to service the winch.
I think the front is complete... For now
Old 30-04-2022
SwampDigger

Replaced the plugs the other week. When I pulled the leads off, half of them left the clips on the ends of the plugs... Recrimped the clips & installed new plugs. Had an intermittent miss at low revs, though, so this time ordered the expensive leads with better heat insulation instead of the OEMs (that I installed last time). Got the new ones in a week, thanks Rockauto!

Only problems were they are thicker so don't run quite the same way & the order on the coil pack... 2 4 6 for the left side, easy enough. But the right catches you out because it's 5 1 3!

Old 20-05-2022
SwampDigger

Interesting notes. The old plugs (NGK LZTR5AIX-13 ) were still ok, so they went into boxes in case I ever need a spare. With the new plugs (NGK PLZTR5A-13) & leads, I am getting some radio interference. Not a lot, only when the head unit is on FM and in certain places. It seems to correlate with locations that the radio signal would be attenuated by geography. ie. I can count on hearing it at the bottom of the street where It's the bottom of a steep valley here, but it's gone at the top of the street.

On the other hand, my fuel economy seems to have improved by at least 1L/100km so far, though the jury's still out. No change to driving style. Local driving would normally see the gauge indicate ~14.5-15.5L/100km, but it's currently down to 14.0 and still falling, in the usual stop/start local driving.
Old 01-06-2022

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hope you are all enjoying your JK. I have added bump stops and fixed the rear lean on the jeep by adding a 1 inch spacer. It seems driver side rear lean to one side because of the fuel tank weight.

I am loving my 08 JK CRD. Given the new 2 door not available in diesel in USA or Aus I think JK 2 door diesel is going to be the last 2 door diesel jeep in history.

Also, the new JL cost $70,000+ I am planning to keep my Jk for a long time. You could possibly buy 3X JKs for the price of a new JL for a very similar wrangler experience.

With diesel, there is no compromise when putting the foot down with fuel consumption or speed. No need for gearing to run 35s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	79725  
Post New Thread  Reply