GoPro tips and advice? - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default subject

This is getting very interesting now, so we may all end up being pretty good with these little beauties. They are not the easiest camera to get used to, especially for a thickhead like me, so I just messed around in the backyard and filmed all sorts of crap, came inside and checked the results on the tablet. Mine is the black edition and I have the head strap, suction cup mount, car charger with the two USB slots, remote wi-fi thingy and quite a few adhesive mounts, both for the camera and the remote. Mine came with the waterproof housing and the skeleton back door. Next purchase will be the full skeleton housing for use inside the car (allows you to hook up the charging lead and keeps everything a lot cooler, as well as picking up conversation/commentary on the run). I'll probably get the chest mounting harness at the same time. By the way, both the chest and head straps are around 50 bucks each..the housing is 97 bucks.

We have a pair of nesting Goldfinches in our apricot tree at the moment, so I set the camera up right beside the nest, turned on the wi-fi and sat in my kitchen viewing the activity on my tablet using the GoPro app. Neat stuff!

Meant to add, if you use the charging lead to view vids, it is usually jerky..cut and paste the vid to a file of your choice, wait until it's done and everything smooths right out.

Last edited by bgbazz; 26-07-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Adding stuff
Old 26-07-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: GoPro tips and advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I haven't been anywhere yet to teat the damn thing out! Did some mucking around with footage of the fishtank and when I try to play it back on my laptop the video plays at half speed and freezes intermittently but the audio is perfect...
I had the same problem when I first got mine, your laptop needs more ram. 8GB of ram or more is needed for hero3 black videos.

I also have an LCD backpack I don't use. Buying a second battery is the best investment (only $30), even 2 spares, they're cheap and you never have to worry about battery life. I never record at less than 1080p, you can always numb it down later and it's better incase you want to pull still photos from your video later.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2
Old 26-07-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default subject

Just to clarify what I said regarding speed..I use an android tablet and if I try and view a clip straight from the camera using the usb cable, the result is slow and jerky, but if I cut and paste into a file I created in my 'gallery', the vid plays perfectly.
Old 26-07-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I pulled the card and inserted it directly into the laptop and was playing it from there. I also had some that I copied from the flash to the hard drive and still the same. I think my lappy is having problem with the high quality vids. Might try the missus's MacBook Pro later and see if that does it better.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 26-07-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: GoPro tips and advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbazz View Post
Just to clarify what I said regarding speed..I use an android tablet and if I try and view a clip straight from the camera using the usb cable, the result is slow and jerky, but if I cut and paste into a file I created in my 'gallery', the vid plays perfectly.
I may be wrong but I would doubt your android tablet would have a 1920x1080p screen, so while it would look great quality it would not actually be playing at max quality so hence would not need the same amount of ram that a laptop with a 1080p screen would need to smoothly view the videos

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2
Old 27-07-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default subject

You are quite right mate..my 10" android tablet has a screen resolution of 1920x1200, my sons has 2560x1600, so that must be the reason. Please disregard all previous posts.
Old 27-07-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default GoPro tips and advice?

basic editing I use windows movie maker as it is so easy to use. I bought Adobe Premier Elements as you can zoom in on sections of the screen you wish to include in your final video etc. Great if you film in the car and want to take the bonnet out of some sections of video. Previous comments on wasting a lot of time are spot on though.
Post New Thread  Reply