So you want a Long Armed WJ- Its Hard! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Exclamation So you want a Long Armed WJ- Its Hard!

Ok well after almost a year of talk it has now happened that My WG has been decommisioned as the Mrs Daily Driver.. So now its time to Turn this thing into a respectable Wheelin rig

This is my Plan,

Kevins off road Long arm.....

What i am thinking is get the barebones kit and add to it ( this way i have the tuff as claytons arms ) and i can start at a conservitive 4.5 hight..

Almost all the complete long arm kits are 6' + ... With out doing diffs this i gather will drive like a POS..

So im going to start with claytons arms and 4.5 spring/package..
This will allow me to run my 32 MTZ very comfortably and keep me on the trails.

From there it gets Expensive, JK D44's seem like the logical option. IRO do a complete package with D44s with 4:10 ratio ect for $3200us

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-WJKFA

If i run the front JK44 with the rear 44a with an aussie locka is this do able????

Or should i do the rear diff 1st, ( after the LA ) and leave the front open. Then later on do the Front 44's.. ?

The reason i feel this is the best option for lifting a WJ ( at current market avaliablity) is that the claytons arms are the ducks.. And with this package once the diff are done will allow me to go up to an 8' lift ( which i never would) with the 44's i think the hights id go is around 6...

The other conundrum is the transfer case.. The diesel is hooked up to the NV247... I am hoping cause this is the same that the V8 uses that a 231 or 242 would bolt up as well???

Whats all the WJ experts think??

Billsta, cpage, MRGC ??? anyone else... Im i heading in the right direction??

MRGC i read you wanna do a long arm ?? whats your plan??

Oh and with this starting at 4.5 i can use that trackbar which some of you guys bought tardis and Mattjeeper. I hope he has some left

Cheers guys

Hemi
Old 08-07-2008
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hemi.... i met a bloke on the weekend that has just moved to newcatle. he has a grand with long arms.. overkill made them. i informed him about the forum, he said he will swing by this week
Old 08-07-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy View Post
Ok well after almost a year of talk it has now happened that My WG has been decommisioned as the Mrs Daily Driver.. So now its time to Turn this thing into a respectable Wheelin rig

This is my Plan,

Kevins off road Long arm.....

What i am thinking is get the barebones kit and add to it ( this way i have the tuff as claytons arms ) and i can start at a conservitive 4.5 hight..

Almost all the complete long arm kits are 6' + ... With out doing diffs this i gather will drive like a POS..

So im going to start with claytons arms and 4.5 spring/package..
This will allow me to run my 32 MTZ very comfortably and keep me on the trails.

From there it gets Expensive, JK D44's seem like the logical option. IRO do a complete package with D44s with 4:10 ratio ect for $3200us

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-WJKFA

If i run the front JK44 with the rear 44a with an aussie locka is this do able????

Or should i do the rear diff 1st, ( after the LA ) and leave the front open. Then later on do the Front 44's.. ?

The reason i feel this is the best option for lifting a WJ ( at current market avaliablity) is that the claytons arms are the ducks.. And with this package once the diff are done will allow me to go up to an 8' lift ( which i never would) with the 44's i think the hights id go is around 6...

The other conundrum is the transfer case.. The diesel is hooked up to the NV247... I am hoping cause this is the same that the V8 uses that a 231 or 242 would bolt up as well???

Whats all the WJ experts think??

Billsta, cpage, MRGC ??? anyone else... Im i heading in the right direction??

MRGC i read you wanna do a long arm ?? whats your plan??

Oh and with this starting at 4.5 i can use that trackbar which some of you guys bought tardis and Mattjeeper. I hope he has some left

Cheers guys

Hemi
On ya hemi,

First of all claytons have a good rep for their long arms an it is a good choice.

second about the diffs I would go with JK 44 front and locked 44a rear, its the front that gives you issues the rear rarely stuffs up.

Gear ratios 4.10 is perfect for the 32" tyres should restore factory power crawl ratio.

As for me the long arm is on order, front only(went with ironrock since it works well with there WJ) waiting on transfer case spacers, at 5' lift very hard to get the right caster at the front without the driveshaft vib, and working out shock lengths (bilsteins) to suit the height and flex, just received a list of the available shocks with open and close from ironrock.

I hope you are attending the jeep jamboree this year!

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 08-07-2008
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

surely your going to want to run a bigger tyre than 32 for this setup? id be planning for different ratio's, 4.88 and 36's...
Old 08-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemewrangler View Post
surely your going to want to run a bigger tyre than 32 for this setup? id be planning for different ratio's, 4.88 and 36's...
Humm on the road and med tracks.. No 32 = plenty but ill have a secound set of rims with 33's probobaly... 33's will stick out to far and then ill get troubles with the 5-0

MRGC.... your a ledgend mate. U have easyed my worries... I 44a in the rear with an aussie will be sweet hey. With out changing transfer case??

And mate, if im gonna do this to the heap... not Jamboo this year my man! This is gonna cost me plenty.... With the JK diff and claytons plus bits... its gonna be 5k before i begin!!!! but its gonna be well worth it and my mrs is keen too so its all Good!!!!
Old 08-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezz View Post
hemi.... i met a bloke on the weekend that has just moved to newcatle. he has a grand with long arms.. overkill made them. i informed him about the forum, he said he will swing by this week
Get some pics??
Old 08-07-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana-...mZ160256791912
thought this might help

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Post New Thread  Reply