Dash Board Help Needed PLEASE!!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Dash Board Help Needed PLEASE!!!

Hi everyone!

I am planning on installing a retractable LCD screen for DVD's and TV in the 94 Cherokee and am looking for a suitable place to mount it.

I am wondering if:

Anyone else has mounted one of these in their cherokee?
If anyone has an exploded diagram of the dashboard assembly on a Cherokee.

My plan is to keep my existing CD/MP3 head unit (mounted in existing radio hole) as it has a input for a LCD screen. I was thinking of removing the vent located below the heater controls and placing the screen/dvd player in that hole. I think I can easily forgo the centre vent to keep the kids happy on the long drive between NSW and QLD.

I am also planning on mounting either my PS2 or XBOX in the car as well. Just for the bling factor.

Any advice would be great, but knoweldge on the centre vent even greater.

Thanks in advance.

MJ
Old 04-09-2005
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could be wrong but think that might be illegal to fit in the front my son just had a unit fitted to his 4x and was fitted on to the roof (inside that is) slightly forward of the backs of the front seats he also got wireless headphones for the girls so he doesnt have to listen to the movies but can play his music My how times have changed when my lot were young and got bored on a long trip would tell them that I just saw a k/roo or a koala that would keep them entertained for a while it was surprising how many they "saw"

Dont take life seriously Nobody gets out alive
Old 05-09-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredE
Could be wrong but think that might be illegal to fit in the front my son just had a unit fitted to his 4x and was fitted on to the roof (inside that is) slightly forward of the backs of the front seats he also got wireless headphones for the girls so he doesnt have to listen to the movies but can play his music My how times have changed when my lot were young and got bored on a long trip would tell them that I just saw a k/roo or a koala that would keep them entertained for a while it was surprising how many they "saw"
Hi FredE,

I believe you are right. The only way around this is if you have a switch on your handbrake which only allows the TV to work when the handbrake is pulled.

My idea is to have a TV up the front which will supply the video and sound to a monitor which is roof mounted for the back seats.

Anyone help with info on the dash?
Old 05-09-2005
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What ever happend to colouring books and Eye Spy?
Think I know all the Wiggles Hi 5 and Mr Whiskers songs, and several Disney sound tracks from singalongs with the kids on long trips.
Surely they watch enough TV at home!
RANT OVER.
What about those dvd players/screen that you can hang on the back of the seat?
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 05-09-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo
What ever happend to colouring books and Eye Spy?
Think I know all the Wiggles Hi 5 and Mr Whiskers songs, and several Disney sound tracks from singalongs with the kids on long trips.
Surely they watch enough TV at home!
RANT OVER.
What about those dvd players/screen that you can hang on the back of the seat?
Hi Gildo!

I know, I know. Stop the bad parenting guilt trip!

I've got 2 11 month olds who are going to fuss the whole 12 hours from NSW to QLD and my poor 7 year old deserves a bit of piece and quiet.

The headrest TV's would be fine other that he sits in the middle seat as the twins are on either side of him and it would not be comfortable for him to have his head cocked the whole trip.

Anyone out there have any idea of how hard it would be to relocate the heater controls?

Cheers.
Old 05-09-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what the Cherro controls are like, but if they are anything like the KJ (ie, vacuum and electronic, rather than mechanical) its pretty easy.
Here's my new dash with the heater controls moved about an inch south to make way for the screen..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0788.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	12534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0791.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	12535  
Old 05-09-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
I don't know what the Cherro controls are like, but if they are anything like the KJ (ie, vacuum and electronic, rather than mechanical) its pretty easy.
Here's my new dash with the heater controls moved about an inch south to make way for the screen..
Hi Froop!

Thanks for the images. Thats pretty much what I am after except I want a rectractable screen. The XJ seems very constricted in it's dash layout. I guess I am going to have to just pull the sucker out and start playing with it. Where did you get the custom dash from?