For what it's worth... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2007
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default For what it's worth...

Picked up JK Unlimited Rubicon on Friday have had it for just a few days, but what it's worth here's my opinion. Bear in mind, I am a former TJ owner and staunch Jeep devotee.

Some things have been done to death. Everyone knows th front bar looks sh**. Everyone knows the rear number plate location is stupid. I'd like to give some additional thoughts.

Interior. Firstly, for those wanting to spend around $50k on a car - don't expect it to have any where near the refinment you could get in any other car for the same amount of hard-earned. A basic Prado or Pajero will have a far neater and more comfortable interior. Having said that, I didn't want to see "refined". I wanted the opposite, I wanted to see the raw TJ look inside. A bit of exposed steel etc, but was dissappointed with all the plastic around me. The design inside, all of the geometric shapes, makes the interior feels a little busy. Some smoother lines would make it a lot more relaxed inside. I'm already looking for ways I can remove some plastic.

Another thing that I felt let down by was the seats, a little narrow. And I wouldn't want to have to use that head rest in an accident - It'll crack your skull open.

Along with a fairly narrow footwell, the accelerator pedal feels like it's a long way away and takes a bit of getting used to. My wife has even shorter legs and struggles to get the pedal all the way down.

Very impressed with the space in the back - much better than expected. And plenty of room in the cargo area. The 3 kids are comfortable in the back seats, but have had some problems with the belts.

The premium sound system in the Rubicon is also a surprise - sounds fantastic. I would have liked to have seen iPod integration via the glove box, like many other news cars. The aux connection is nice, but will require an iPod holder.

One thing I can't understand is why they spend so much money on installing re-designed bumpers and changing the tyres for the Aussie market as well as switching to RHD, but they don't swap the indicator and windscreen controls over? Surely it's not that hard.

Performance. The ride is very, very comfortable. The steering is suprisingly light, and the car handles far better than most other similar sized 4x4's I've been in lately. The 6 speed transmission in the manual gives plently of top end speed. Where I struggled to get over 130 in the TJ, I comfortably got it up over 140 in the JK (I had to back off - still running in).

What is does lack is that low end pick up I was familiar with in the TJ. I don't think re-gearing is the answer, I'll be looking for a TBS and performance chip asap. However when I go to 35" shoes, re-gearing will also be considered. Suspension feels firmer than the TJ and handles nicely on the road, but it's yet to see any dirt or rocks. Both a pro and a con is how quiet the engine is. I find myself checking that it's on. I miss the performance and sound of the old straight 6.

Overall it appears to be finished better than I anticipated. I was expecting a few quirks (ill-fitting joints etc), but other than a difficult to lower soft top (on my 4-door), I'm pretty happy with how it's been put together.

Interior: 7/10
Comfort: 7/10
Performance 7/10
Handling: 9/10
Appearance: 8/10 (stock) 10/10 (modified)
Value for money: 8/10
Old 02-07-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
Where I struggled to get over 130 in the TJ, I comfortably got it up over 140 in the JK (I had to back off - still running in).
Just wondering how modded was your TJ??? We owned one 2 1/2 years ago and it did much more than that....

Matt and Leisa
Old 03-07-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 2 cents woth is it needs a foot rest ... I feel that your left foot is lost as I dont know where to put it.. or am I being to fussy..
cheers scootaaa

Last edited by Fat Chili; 03-07-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: No need for the entire quote
Old 03-07-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree about the foot rest. I wouldn't of minded a little more storage compartments in the front.

I'm also not too fond on how the doors swing back at you pretty quick when opening due to the short wiring cord. Nearly knocked myself out the first few
days.

Kick arse stereo too. However, my last car was a little proton satria so I would probably be happy with anything else.
Old 03-07-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt&Leisa View Post
Just wondering how modded was your TJ??? We owned one 2 1/2 years ago and it did much more than that....

Matt and Leisa
The TJ was a 2001 Sport with an OME 2" lift and 31" Cooper ST's. Other than it was pretty much stock.