Where are the Jeep Lemons? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Still early days yet. Remember these are still very new vehicles. I believe the unreliability of Jeeps is much exaggerated though.
Old 09-01-2016

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
Still early days yet. Remember these are still very new vehicles. I believe the unreliability of Jeeps is much exaggerated though.
Maybe, but they have been on sale overseas for over 2 years now and there's about half a million of them on the roads... I imagine any fundamental flaws would have started to make themselves apparent by now. The transmission shift quality is really the only commonly reported issue - and software updates have addressed this greatly. You still get the odd moment where you wonder WTF it's thinking, but to be honest I've found myself wondering that at times in anything I've driven with an auto transmission.
Old 09-01-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have 33000 km on my TH now and the transmission shifting is the worst thing about the vehicle. Coming from a 2.8 diesel/6spd manual KJ I really notice the difference, especially on the highway. Impossible to maintain an even speed and with the cruise control it constantly hunts for gears,revs to over 5000 rpm briefly climbing modest inclines before changing up again,down again. Towing anything I restrict it to 7th or even 6th gear to help even it out. That said tho the adaptive cruise control is brilliant.
My particular software doesnt allow changing down to 2nd unless virtually stopped (then it's 1st) and this causes issues if turning into an uphill street or road, I manually select 2nd to help it get going.
Overtaking on the highway it takes a few frustrating moments to sort a gear but this is typical of most autos anyway, overall I love the new cherokee, it drives really nice, has lots of tech features and good fuel economy (av 8-9 L/100km on 98 fuel). If it only had the gearbox from my old KJ...
Old 10-01-2016

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Hmm. The behavior of your transmission sounds a bit odd, to be honest... Mine is brilliant on the highway - yes it shifts gears a fair bit, but it's a 9-speed - it stands to reason it's going to shift gears a lot more because that's what it's designed to do in order to keep the engine near peak efficiency - that's how it manages decent fuel economy (6, 7, 8 and 9th are all overdrive gears). But mine does so imperceptibly- if I'm not watching the tacho I won't even notice. I agree re towing though - anything other than a pancake-flat road I'll restrict it to 6th or 7th.

But overall I agree. I love the vehicle, but I'd like it a lot more with a 6-sp manual.
Old 10-01-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default Where are the Jeep Lemons?

A colleague at work has a new GC and his auto was terrible.

The change into 2nd would snap your neck.
The gap from 1st to second was huge. It would just sit there in neutral, then out of nowhere, BANG there's 2nd gear!
After 3 trips to the dealer and being told there's no issue. He calmly walked in and asked the nice man behind the counter to "get in the f......king car and come for a drive." Then the nice man said "ohhh thaaat big bang, yeah we'll have to fix that".

When this same car was 1 week old the headlights totally fogged up during a couple of rainy days.
He took it back to the dealer and was told "that's normal, just wait for a sunny day and they'll clear up". After a few polite words, new headlights where fitted the following week.

He's had a few other issues with it, something with the locks, the seat heaters and the rear door, but he's still a tragic jeep fan (this new Grand Cherokee is his 5th jeep in the last 14 years).

I've heard a few other stories from Cherokees, but the wranglers seam to have lots less issues.
The ball joints on my JK did self destruct after less then 14,000km.
But with 3.5 inches of lift, 33 inch tyres and getting used properly, it's probably to be expected.

Last edited by Pete_79; 10-01-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lot less issues? In 5 years I had 3 years of massive water leaks, new ball joints (all 4) new tie rod, new drag link, transfer case seal total failure, new universal joints, 3 clock spring replacements, transfer case cable broke twice, 3 wheel speed sensors, horn. Was more but cant remember now.

Traded it on the Trailhawk Yep I am a sucker!!

Sent from a tiny mobile device with fat thumbs...

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 10-01-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Main issue I have had with mine is the creaking sunroof which has gone back over 5 times now and still happens. They even replaced the frame. Gonna go back again on weds fingers crossed.
Apart from that everything has been great with it. No transmission issues I could really feel.
Other thing they couldn't fix is the uneven gap at the lift gate where the glass meets the body. The gap is different on each side and they said all cherokee have some sort of a gap which we should 'let sleeping dogs lie'
Still love it though

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply