Jeep Specific 4x4 Systems - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep History in Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2011
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep Specific 4x4 Systems

Rock-Trac®
The Rock-Trac transfer case is the heart of Wrangler Rubicon's extreme rock crawling ability. Because of the 4:1 low-gear ratio, Rock-Trac's low crawl speed makes it easy to ascend or descend sharp inclines and to crawl over obstacles. Rock-Trac also features a fixed-yoke output assembly, usually only available as on after-market option. And best of all, it carries the full manufacturer's warranty.

Command-Trac®
This legendary part-time system has served Jeep owners well through the years. Command-Trac is a proven shift-on-the-fly system with a 2.72:1 Low-Range and Neutral.

Command-Trac II®
Command-Trac II® supports the new MP 1522 two-speed, part-time four-wheel drive transfer case, featuring smooth operation, shift-on-the-fly capability, and improved NVH control compared to systems with mechanical linkage. 2WD High is the usual driving mode, with the front driveline disengaged from the transfer case and power directed to the rear wheels. Selecting 4WD Lock via the electronic, console-mounted switch locks the front and rear driveshafts together; the two then rotate at the same speed and provide a 50 front/50 rear torque split, providing better traction on slippery surfaces. This transfer case allows for 2WD, 4WD high-range and low-range as well as neutral.

Selec-Trac II®
Selec-Trac II supports the new MP 3022 two-speed, full-time active “on-demand” four-wheel drive transfer case. When driving in 4WD Auto mode, the transfer case clutch pack detects wheel slip and applies increased or decreased torque between the front and rear axles based on real-time driving conditions, thus optimizing traction. Under the right conditions, the vehicle can be driven by just one wheel. For added capability when traversing steep grades, rough terrain, or extremely poor tractions surfaces, the transfer case includes a 4WD Low mode. Electronic shifting between 4WD Auto and 4WD is accomplished via a console-mounted switch. A 2WD mode is also provided for some markets.

Quadra Drive II®
Quadra-Drive II's active full-time 4Wd system is the ultimate for virtually any driving situation. This system uses the Quadra-Trac transfer case and Electronic Limited Slip Differentials in both axles offering excellent tractive performance. Quadra-Drive II also featured a 2.72 LOW-RANGE and NEUTRAL.

Quadra-Trac I®
The brilliance of this 4WD system is it's simplicity. Quadra-Trac I operates in a high-range, all-time mode delivering optimum traction in virtually any driving situation with no driver input required.
NOTE: The Grand Cherokee SRT8 uses the Quadra-Trac on-demand system that drives the rear driveshaft and engages the front driveshaft when needed either when slip is sensed or with throttle anticipate which engages the front prior to slip when throttle is applied.

Quadra-Trac II®
This active full-time system functions in all-wheel-drive until additional traction is needed, then reacts by electronically engaging the clutch pack to transfer up to 100% of the torque to either axle. This system also features 2.72:1 LOW-RANGE and NEUTRAL.

Freedom-Drive I®
Jeep® Compass models with a 5-speed manual transaxle or continuously variable transmission feature selectable four-wheel-drive lock. This state-of-the-art electronic system anticipates the need for added traction and responds to wheel-slippage by transferring power to the rear wheels, while modulating rear-wheel to contribute to vehicle stability in cornering situations. The system also saves fuel by operating only on demand when on-road, thereby minimizing power-robbing friction and inertia. Activate the off-road mode by pulling up on the chrome T-handle switch labeled 4WD LOCK in the center console. This mode dictates that the electronic sends the maximum amount of torque to the rear axle for improved traction.

Freedom-Drive II®
An electronically controlled coupling, which is attached to the rear differential, is the heart of the Freedom Drive II system. The electronic control module processes signals from the wheel speed sensors and the accelerator pedal to determine how much torque to transfer to the rear wheels, then sends an electrical current to the ECC that is proportional to the amount of torque required. Recommended for true off-road situations including steep grades, wheel lift and rock or log climbing, the Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package includes a second-generation continuously variable transaxle with a 19:1 crawl ratio (CVT2L) that engages when the off-road mode is activated.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 15-02-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

This "Jeep History" section is GREAT!!!!!!.....hope ther's more of it......love the history of Jeeps in the 60's......Although I was born in Sydney I left it aged 4 and went to London and rest of the Planet for next 15-20 years, my Dad worked for the Anglo American Company.....we used to fly 1st class by BOAC Comet to Capetown and then smaller company planes to Kenya or Rhodesia or Zambia - yikes!....lucky they fixed em by then!....but what a beautiful Jet to look at and fly!....Anyway when I was about 4 we went down to southern Africa and they were filming a movie with John Wayne, Kurt Jurgens, some US and italian actress's called"Hatari" and there were heaps of Land Rovers and Jeeps, including a Jeep Gladiator........I fell in amour with go-anywhere vehicles right there and then......my 1st drive was in a L-R 2a aged approx 7......I've always had a Jeep and/or Land Rover ever since then!

Any way, as I understand it the Quadra Trac system fitted to ZJ/ZG models is a Full Time 4WD with constant 50/50 split or torque front/rear, centre differentiation is by means of a Viscous Fluid Coupling, which locks up (due to heat) if either end loses grip and thus acts as an automatic Centre Diff Lock. That's in High Range, in Low Range the Transfer Case mechanically locks the front and rear outputs together, again at 50/50 torque split. The system is not too different from what Range Rover began using in its Classic and P38a's from about 1986 until not sure when.

The ZJ/ZG's handling with it's Constant 4WD 50/50 F/R is what makes them such an easy and predictable handling car.....I wish we could have got the 5.2 (31 and 5.9 (360) V8's here (both are deivatives of the Chrysler "A" Block engines)......the 5.9 was nominated by Top Gear as the best handling and fastest 4WD in the World back when it was released......US magazine Jp names it as one of the Greatest 10 Jeeps of all time.

Last edited by Doctor W; 15-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply