Your thoughts on aftermarket diesel filters - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on aftermarket diesel filters

Hi all.

I know this topic was starting on the 'Tested the Lokka' thread but I thought I'd get some specific thoughts on the issue.

Firstly, let me say that I have never owned a diesel before let alone a modern CRD so it's all new to me.

So as a newbie, I guess I'd like your thoughts on the filters with a clear water tap built into the base of the housing or running a dedicated water trap in main fuel filter.
(info taken from 4WD Action no.181 p.191)

Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Clarkey.
Old 12-06-2012
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I think they are a good idea. I've had one installed on my WJ CRD for about 18 months now and all is going well with it. So far it hasn't collected any water but at least I can see it if it does.

Good thing is it has a primer pump which can be bloody handy if you change a filter or run out of diesel.

On the WJ you need to be creative where you put it, I've got mine up the back under the rear bumper bar below the filler, works well and is out of harms way.

Jason
Old 12-06-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Yes one of the best things you can do with a modern CRD. Water and crap in a modern common rail injector pump is very bad and very expensive. You casn get the normal filter and water seperator types and then there is the Water Watch one which is supposed to be primarily for water issues but it's quite expensive and I'm not sure it's significantly better than the other types given there is water seperation qualities to the factory filter ( at least in the WG).

Jason what brand/model did you instal and if you don't mind what was the pricing like.

I've seen one mounted in the engine bay of a WG hanging off the accelerator mechanism bracket. I like your idea of under the rear corner, how well does it prime from there and how did you deal with those stupid fuel lines. It looks like those stupid plastic fuel lines are also used from the tank to the fuel cooler.
Old 12-06-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

The XJ diesel fuel filter has a water trap & a warning light on the dash when water is detected in the plastic bowl. sounds like things got cheapened with the CRD.
Best thing you can do is only get your fuel from a reputable seller who sells plenty of diesel.
Old 13-06-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuel filter in the WG is actually a water separator as well as a filter (and a pre heater).
Old 13-06-2012
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

The filter I have is a Delphi (C.A.V) unit which from memory set me back about $160 with fittings. It looks like this one except with a glass bowl:

http://www.westernfilters.net.au/pro...roducts_id=813

When I was installing it I looked at a load of options in the engine bay and wasn't happy with any as they all seemed to make changing the filer a PITA. Putting it down the back has worked very well for me, and if I had to do it again I would.

I made an offset bracket that bolted through a seam to make sure the filter was as high as possible.
Old 13-06-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

An extra CAV type filter for your Diesel is a sound idea for many reasons, better protection of course but also when on a trip it's the one that gets the crap and is easier to obtain replacements and is usually a hell of a lot cheaper plus if you cannot get one you still have the main filter to do the job. In most trucks you never just have one fuel filter. Lastly don't rely on the water detection lights, change the filter regularly it's safer all round.

Bodgie, brilliant thought the same thing about in the engine bay and I couldn't find a decent spot lower down near gearbox, don't know why I didn't think further back.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply