P0306 misfire JK 11-13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default P0306 misfire JK 11-13

Hi Aus Jeepers, anyone out there having had any recent interaction with their Jeep dealership or better, Jeep AU warranty Dept, related to the warranty extension for the above misfire issue and replacement of the Bank 2 cylinder head #6? The 10yr 150’00ml one Chrysler issued.

There’s heaps of examples across the US forums, but we’re not in the US but like here, different dealerships may relate differently to the claim dependant on how they feel on the day and the knowledge willing to confidently share. I took the initial steps after talking briefly to Jeep AU and booked my JK into the nearest dealer. The initial appointment was to 1) check my VIN Nō against the data computer records, mine wasn’t on there, yet the information on the websites and related dealership service bulletin doesn’t discriminate particularly, except to quote vehicles built between 2011 and 2013 which mine is, a 2013?
2) Check fault code stored, mine P0306. I told them that on appointment so that was confirmed. 3) Diagnostic, that wasn’t done in any way. I asked if they could do a dynamic cylinder scope test to determine wether or not it’s actually misfiring sat in the workshop on idle, as they said they couldn’t reset the EML. They said they don’t do that, so OK I had to swallow that one too. The Dept wanted a further $500 on top of the $150 I was about to hand over my 27min job, so I said OK, but if I pay this additional fee so you can do a compression test and leak down test and you find I do have a cyl head issue on #6, ie, burnt exh valves, you’ll replace the head? ‘No, we’ll had over our findings to Jeep AU and they will decide wether or not to do it?’ otherwise it’s back to you, so I was pessimistically thinking of ping-pong already, yet the service bulletin would suggest that’s the step to take if excessive leakage is experienced on testing, replace head?
I asked wether or not on a positive finding, warranty would then cover the diagnostic $’s too and was told ‘our mechanics don’t work for free?’ Haha!
After further intense web searches, the found bulletin procedure sets the order of diagnosis, so I’m good with that, but they didn’t explain it as simply at the time in person. For me it’s about principle, I brought a new Jeep, it was $62k of my hard earn’t and with it came an inherited design problem from the point of manufacture, unknown to me that problem was going to be served to me one way or another as soon as it’d covered the optimum mileage for the problem misfire to manifest itself, regardless of any other factors. Mine is dead on 76’000km so only 42’000ml, it’s nothing. It should be easier to get warranty support, without uncertainty, even though it’s a good will gesture and not a recall, I get that, but if dealerships and manufacturers, treated you with the enthusiasm you go in with and buy and support their product with when buying, it’d pay huge dividends in customer loyalty and return custom, instead of feeling like you’ve been bent over and changing brands. I only read an automotive article today outlining how Chrysler is currently trying to advertise and win back sales as they have slumped big time apparently, I can’t say it surprised me if I’m just one example. There’s much evidence on US forums and customer comments to suggest the Vin No’s were not all released by Chrysler, with legal case examples and it explains their reasoning at the time, although no solid help to the owner. There are also customers, Chrysler Techs etc, reporting much later models now coming through Dealerships with the same inherent misfire issues, now the Jeeps in question have covered that magic milestone and which plagued the 2011 to 13’s Interesting no?

If you have any examples of positive or negative support issues only related to recent left side head replacements here in Aus, I’d be keen to hear about them, if only to get an impression of success and how best to achieve it without the chaos and feeling like you’ve gotta roll your sleeves up each time you attempt to interact.
I’ve enjoyed my Jeep and get pleasure from owning it over any other car I can claim to have owned prior and I want it to continue. I’m not negative about the brand, I just want the car and the marque I assumed I was buying into restored to the way it should of been in the first place. I can’t believe I’m the only one who has feelings on this issue of the new head? Onward and Upward 🍻 Keep waving!
Old 26-11-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I got that code a couple of times on my 2011. I could always delete the code pretty much immediately with an engine data scangauge.

I replaced the spark plugs and it never came back. When was the last time yours were replaced?

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 26-11-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

The only way is to fight. Write to FCA Australia (email) with a copy of the TSB - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39897-9999.pdf and ask them to respond in writing their position for Australian distributed vehicles. They will be concerned when you ask for a response in writing because they won’t know who it may be given to. Do that and report back their response. It’s a winnable situation. BTW, highly likely it’s the head.
Old 26-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Fishframe, yeah thats the service bulletin i eventually found. I think thats the avenue I’ll try, putting it in writing and requesting a written response, good idea. 👊
Old 26-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, forgot to mention, your on the money with the head.

After the dealer visit etc and them wanting that further $500 without the guarantee of getting the head, i thought i’d buy my own scanner, leak tester, compression tester and go for it, even make a good smoke tester as i know they can be pro e to small air leaks.

In short all cylinders were 135psi but 6 was 85psi with a 30% leakage result where the rest were between 8-10%, so yeah i’d e wanting that head. The strangest thing which has thrown me about the while diagnosis process is that to hear it running even on idle and its highway drivability, you’d never guess the exh valves were shot.
Normally i’ve identified that with a popping sound from the exhaust on idle or rough running, but there you go, we learn something new every day. Only wish I’d of had the tools in the first place when i changed the plugs and id of been onto it. Again that was a weird one. 4 of the 6 plugs had a higher resistance than specs suggested, so thought i’ll change ‘em out. Drove the car for 157days without EML light ever coming on, yet you’d assume with cylinder leakage etc it wouldn’t matter what you done, because the physical condition is unchanged eh?

Only thing i notice now is a slight lumpiness on idle but I’m being real picky. If i don’t get anywhere with a letter I think I’m better off doing it myself and just use the exsisting head but replace the valves and get another 75k out of it, the reconsider my options again.
I asked the service manager at Jeep whether or not they are supplying the new cast modified head FMC have produced or are they using refurbished ones? He said he doesn’t know, he said he just orders and fit what comes.
I’ve been i chat with a Jeep Tech who said on the last one that he’s got 2 on the bench ready to fit each of which are stamp dated 2011. He says his mates family have a machine shop and reworking the coolant channels to cool that back cylinder is not an option. Makes you think. If it wasn’t for these forums, we’d be scratching our heads for a lot longer eh, ‘cos they don’t want you to know whats going on in the background... cheers for your feedback, i wasn’t sure anyone would actually read my post, ‘cos there’s alot but most are dated now, but cheers!
Old 26-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Jamie, thanks for reading and replying to my post.

Yeah i replaced my plugs back in March when the EML first appeared because 4 of the 6 had a higher resistance than specs suggested. An expensive waste at the time after all but thought it worth it considering what you need to do to get to them and considering they’re supposed to last a very long time? The weird thing was that i drove it 157days without the EML ever coming on until September, thats when i first noticed a slight lumpiness at idle and the light was only coming on in traffic, so temp related. The occasion i’m thinking of was just after coming off the highway having done 200km at 110, not a murmur? Cheers!
Old 27-11-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Ive had similar thing and mine is an my13, I’m having mine done privately as thankfully i lasted to 190k before mine went, and really that’s not bad and cant complain much. I had no exhaust gas in my coolant but cylinder 2 and 4 had low compression and leakage...

I’m hoping that the job itself wont cost me my first born, but am getting a reputable and reliable mechanic to do all the work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk